VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

720 rips do not play in my computer (P4 at 2.66 GHz, 512 DDR RAM onboard graphics, 17" monitor). What should I do?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1) Install VLC, which most likely will solve your problem as your PC should be OK to play 720p files, even H.264, if you use VLC to play them.
    If that fails...
    2) Buy a new PC with a dual core or better CPU. I'm not kidding, unfortunately for you.

Playback has more to do with your CPU than your video card and if VLC doesn't solve this problem, your only solution is to buy a faster PC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The graphics card can be an issue under some circumstances. Be sure you have video overlay enabled in the graphics card's drivers. And be sure the media player you are using is set up to use video overlay. Otherwise the CPU may be required to do the colorspace conversion and scaling which can be a major drain on the CPU with high resolution video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How much system ram do you have? You probably should have at least 2gb ram.

I upgraded to a 2.7ghz dual core amdx2 and 2gb ram and my bluray discs still stutter occasionally. I have a nvidia 8400 and seems to handle it pretty well.

Actually I am planning on buying a ps3 soon so I can get smooth uninterrupted bluray playback. I would consider a movie only player but I just don't like the idea of buying a single function hardware unit anymore. The flexiblity of game play and movie watching is much better.

But yeah for computer specs the more ram the better. And you might consider getting a real video card instead of onboard video. That should help your performance a little. I know jman98 said cpu is more important than a video card but having shared memory probably isn't helping your cause any.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ukb007
    Hi

720 rips do not play in my computer (P4 at 2.66 GHz, 512 DDR RAM onboard graphics, 17" monitor). What should I do?

Thanks.
    "720p rips" are usually other than MPeg2. 720 MPeg2 clips will benefit* from hardware acceleration on most display card chipsets. Older lower end display chips won't handle divx, xvid or h.264. 720p wmv is mostly a cpu decode issue. Usually for WMV-HD a 3.0GHz and 1 GB RAM are minimally required for smooth 720p/1080p playback.

* Off air 720p is usually sent as 59.94 fps MPeg2. Data rates are usually near 14Mb/s vs. up to 19 Mb/s for 1080i.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. And if you're using Quicktime Player -- stop. It's the worst, most CPU hungry player under windows.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

Thanks for the time you all have taken to address ny issue.

I had forgotten to mention this in my original post, what happens when I try to play 720p files is that the screen goes blank and then reappears after the resolution is adjusted to 800x600 from my current 1024x768; the file, of course, does not play. When I restart and go online, Microsoft sends me a pop-up that the issue was my in graphics device, and I should get an upload from Intel Corporation.

What I understand from what you have written is this:

1. Since my system memory is DDR Ram 512 (available 504), it would be worthwhile to upgrade it to 1 GB.
    2. I should try to upgrade my onboard Intel Extreme Graphics.
    3. vlc is the player of choice (which I have, and do use)
    4. A new dual-core CPU would't hurt.

Thanks again. You have my regards.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ukb007
    when I try to play 720p files
    720p what? What codecs? What frame rate? You'll probably have no problem playing 1280x720p Divx at 24 fps. Maybe even at 60 fps. h.264 at 24 fps might play. h.265 at 60 fps probably won't.

the screen goes blank and then reappears after the resolution is adjusted to 800x600 from my current 1024x768;
    Why is VLC changing the screen res to 800x600? Having it shrink the video down to is only making more work for the program. If anything, you want to increase the display res to 1280x960 or 1280x1024 so the video doesn't have to be resized.

When I restart and go online, Microsoft sends me a pop-up that the issue was my in graphics device, and I should get an upload from Intel Corporation.
    Are you saying the computer crashed? If so you have a bigger problem than a too slow CPU.

1. Since my system memory is DDR Ram 512 (available 504), it would be worthwhile to upgrade it to 1 GB.
    512 MB is sufficient for simply playing 720p video. 1 to 2 GB will make your system more responsive overall though.

2. I should try to upgrade my onboard Intel Extreme Graphics.
    It wouldn't hurt but I'd get the latest drivers and make sure it's set up properly first.

3. vlc is the player of choice (which I have, and do use)
    VLC is a good player. It has problems with h.264 files that use PAFF or MBAFF (I think these are only used in interlaced video).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, Mr jagabo

I am simply awed by the holes you have pointed out in my post.

My monitor's resolution is 1024x768 at 75 Hz. When I attempt to play 720p video, the computer does not crash, but the screen goes blank for a long period (a minute or so), and then the desktop returns, but with the resolution 800x600. The video, of course, does not play. Microsoft tells me there's a problem, and I can get advice when I restart. I can keep on working at that resolution, though. When I restart and go online, Microsoft sends me a pop-up that the issue was my in graphics device, and I should get an upload from Intel Corporation.

It seemed to me that my computer is unable to handle the high-resolution video file, and I had fixed the video rendering capability of my computer to be out of depth.

Ordinary h.264 does play in my system. Only I am scared about the files that say 1080p or 720p.

Man, take pity on me. I am looking for pebbles on the shore of the ocean of knowledge.

You have my regards.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Your symptom does sound like a video driver problem. Did you get updated drivers from Intel? Try getting the latest WHQL certified driver for your graphics chipset.

I wasn't sure what VLC would do if a video files was larger than the screen resolution. So as a quick test I set one of my computers to 1024x768 and opened several 720p and 1080p files with VLC. It played all of them without any problem at 1024x768, fullscreen or windowed.

Still, if you can, I would recommend you try setting your desktop to 1280x960 60 Hz or 1280x1024 60 Hz and try playing your 720p files. See if there's any improvement in the situation.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, jagabo

I have upgraded my ondoard Intel Extreme Graphics from the Intel cite. Microsoft was right. Now everything's fine, and I can watch everything without sweat.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft was right.
    There's a first time for everything.
    Quote Quote