VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can manually transfer the files without any trouble and CoreAVC plays the video just fine, but there's no audio (I tried several players). I searched the web and any posts I found on this topic said to install the AC3 filter from ac3filter.net but I have long ago done that on my XP machine. Just to be sure, I have a new Vista machine I hadn't installed anything on yet so I installed fresh the AC3 filter and CoreAVC. Still no audio. I dropped the MTS file into GSpot and it can't tell what codecs are needed! Apparently the Canon AVCHD files are different enough to cause trouble. Quicktime won't play the file at all. Any idea what I need to get sound out of these Canon files?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try identify the audio codec in the avchd using mediainfo. It's usually ac3 but it could also be pcm audio.

And try play with vlc media player, it has built in codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VLC will not play the file at all. Same with GOM. They both try but they bring up a garbled frame and crash.

Mediainfo worked. However, it doesn't tell me much. It says the audio is AC3, yet AC3filter plays no audio. The only detail is this:

256 Kbps, 48.0 KHz, 2 channels, AC3

I verified by playing the file in the camera that there is sound in the file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FYI - installing the Pixela Image Mixer 3 software that comes with the camera does work - picture and sound play as expected - but I am still hoping to get this to play in "normal" players using the CoreAVC codec if I can get it configured so the sound will play. The company that makes it has ignored my request for help, even though I am a paid customer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have Haali Media Splitter installed? Upgrade to the latest.

The latest nightly build of VLC will work with AVCHD

http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/trunk-20080620-0050/
    Quote Quote