VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok here is my question. I have 2 dvd burners. I have Pioneer PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115D 1.18 (ATA) set as Master, and then i have the other SATA TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203N SB01 (RAID). DOnt know why it says RAID, i do not have RAID set up. SO my question is, when i check for DMA, I go to my devices, IDE Controllers and the 1st one is (Target ID 0, device type ATAPICdrom, Ultra DMA Mode 4, but the 2nd controller has nothing. Is this correct or is there something wrong? Just checking. Thanks all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sata drives don't have dma settings. different type of controller. if it's working it's ok.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey thanks for the quick reply, the only problem is I'm using Taiyo Yuden 8X printable and they burn at 10 minutes instead of 8 minutes like the Pioneer. I figured that was thr problem? Of course using IMGBURN.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    different burners use different burn methods and speeds change over the course of a burn. time differences are not related to ide/sata controllers.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mn072065
    Hey thanks for the quick reply, the only problem is I'm using Taiyo Yuden 8X printable and they burn at 10 minutes instead of 8 minutes like the Pioneer. I figured that was thr problem? Of course using IMGBURN.
    your problem of burn time taking 10 minutes is because you need to DISABLE RAID in your MOTHERBOARD BIOS. Also ENABLE IDE setting for SATA as well in MOTHERBOARD BIOS. i see you have RAID hard drive listed in your computer specs. you'll have to disable it for the drive to work or buy a SATA PCI CONTROLLER CARD.

what's the model/brand of your motherboard? SATA DVD BURNERS work correctly if you have Intel chipset controllers like ICH7/8/9. if you have a NVIDIA chipset controller download the latest drivers from NVIDIA website. lastly if you have a VIA chipset controller then the SATA DVD BURNER will not work correctly. you would need to buy a SATA PCI CONTROLLER CARD that has the SILICON IMAGE 3112/3114/3512 chipset.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have it set in the BIOS as SATA on, not RAID on. I figured it's a SATA burner i need to set as SATA, or am I mistaken. And also I have NVIDIA chipset controller. I see that in Windows Update I have downloaded but not installed the NVIDIA updates, but since it said optional, i did not do it. Perhaps I need to do.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you drives are working fine, and the only problem you have is that two drives rated at the same burn speed, take respectively 8 mins and 10 mins to burn DVd's then I wouldnt worry about it...diff burner mfrs use different write strategy's for different media.. also whether the drive uses CLv and CAV or just CAV and partial CLv. What chipset are you using. Samsung burners work great, and with Nvidia chipsets( at least in IDE) personal experience! Use nero driveinfo to get all the info you need.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have it set in the BIOS as SATA on, not RAID on. I figured it's a SATA burner i need to set as SATA, or am I mistaken. And also I have NVIDIA chipset controller. I see that in Windows Update I have downloaded but not installed the NVIDIA updates, but since it said optional, i did not do it. Perhaps I need to do.
    you'll need to download the latest NVIDIA chipset controller drivers from the NVIDIA website and not through WINDOWS UPDATE. that's probably why your SAMSUNG drive isn't able to burn faster than 8x speed. I have 2 SAMSUNG S203B SATA drives which can burn up to 16x - 18x speed using certain brands of dvd media such as VERBATIM & TY. download the latest NVIDIA chipset controller drivers and your SAMSUNG drive should work the way it's suppose to. you have RAID listed as your 500gb hard drive that would affect your SATA DVD BURNER as well. is that hd set as RAID? if it is then the only work around is to use a SATA PCI CONTROLLER CARD w/the SILICON IMAGE 3112/3114/3512 CHIPSET for your SAMSUNG drive to work correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My HD is not set to RAID. So it must be the drivers. Question is, how can i determine which drivers i need. Can you tell me in easy steps how to do that. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I chatted online with Dell. Since I have a Dell XPS600 system, all the drivers were from them. But I bought my PC with Windows XP 64, Now I have Vista 64. When I spoke the Dell techician, he was kind enough to tell me that for my system, that he doesnt see any Vista 64 updates thru dell for my controller. But in Windows Update folder downloaded already I have NVIDIA updates. I'm afraid to use them since they might affect my PC, unless anyone knows that it might be safe. Is there a way to update my controller drivers directly thru NVIDIA. The Dell technician said that there system does not show which Motherboard I have. I now it's an SLI board, but i dont have the model #.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I chatted online with Dell. Since I have a Dell XPS600 system, all the drivers were from them. But I bought my PC with Windows XP 64, Now I have Vista 64. When I spoke the Dell techician, he was kind enough to tell me that for my system, that he doesnt see any Vista 64 updates thru dell for my controller. But in Windows Update folder downloaded already I have NVIDIA updates. I'm afraid to use them since they might affect my PC, unless anyone knows that it might be safe. Is there a way to update my controller drivers directly thru NVIDIA. The Dell technician said that there system does not show which Motherboard I have. I now it's an SLI board, but i dont have the model #.
    Geez, Dell can't even tell you what model/brand motherboard you have? I think through their website you can use your ID number or number thingy that's on your computer tower to see what brand of components are used in your pc. I do recall fixing a dell pc and I was able to access the information from using that number on the computer case.

NVIDIA has their own website where you can download the drivers yourself.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

You can choose OPTION 2 automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products. Then download it and install it.
    Quote Quote