VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I want to download/record a couple of videos that use Brightcove as the stream player, but don't know how to do it. I just downloaded WM Recorder and tried it, but it kept saying 'CANCELED' when I tried (maybe I wasn't doing it properly).

Anyone here know how download/record off of Brightcove.tv?

Help is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    brightcove looks like flash video so try instead Orbit Downloader or Replay Media Catcher.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the help. I assume by your response that this question hasn't been asked before or you don't know a "for sure " answer?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by syracusefan1
    Thanks for the help. I assume by your response that this question hasn't been asked before or you don't know a "for sure " answer?
    Never heard of Brightcove before, so that's a safe assumption. Just because Brightcove is important to YOU does not mean that the entire rest of the world has heard of it, uses it, etc.

Baldrick is pretty smart, so I'd suggest you try what he suggested and come back if it doesn't solve your problem. The fact that he is guessing does not mean that his suggestion won't work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. My response was not meant to be rude. Clearly I trust his judgment on these things, otherwise I wouldn't have posted my question here in the first place.

FWIW, Brightcove is actually becoming a huge stream player online now. Plenty of popular sites are using it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Brightcove.tv FLV files are stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder for the current user. Windows explorer works very hard at hiding them from you. You can get at them from a Command Prompt though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm not much of a computer guy. Any chance you could give me a step-by-step guideline on how I can access the files?
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's not easy to give instructions for the command prompt. It's also known as a Command Line Interpreter, or CLI for short.

Start by opening a CLI:

1) Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

That should get you a black command prompt window. The XP command prompt is pretty smart so life will be a little easier. Some of the basic commands you will use are:

DIR (directory/file listing)
    CD (change directory -- navigate through folders)
    COPY (copy file from source to destination)

These take command line switches which I'll explain as we go...

The default command line prompt starts you in the folder for the current user. Normally this is:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME>

where USERNAME is the account you're currently logged in under. The line you will be typing on shows the current directory name. The ">" at the end is just a marker separating the prompt and what you will be typing.

2) I'm going to use upper case for things you type in but the interpreter isn't case sensitive. Also, at the end of each line you type in hit the Enter key. Type:

DIR/A

You should see a listing of files and folders. One of the folders here should be "Local Settings". This is where you need to go. The /A is important here it means show All files and folder, even hidden ones. The Local Settings folder is normally hidden so you wouldn't see it if you just typed DIR.

3) Type:

CD LOCAL SETTINGS

That will nativage you down into the "Local Settings" folder. The command line should now show the full path: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings>"

The XP CLI is pretty smart. You don't need to type quotes around the folder names with spaces. Like:

CD "LOCAL SETTINGS"

You can also use partial names with a asterix:

CD LOC*

will work if there are no other folders that start with LOC.

4) If you type:

DIR/A

here you will see a list of folders and files including a folder called "Temporary Internet Files". You want to navigate to that folder.

5) Type:

CD TEMPOR*

You may have to include more characters of the folder name if there is another folder that matches that partial name.

At any time you can type:

CD ..

to move up on folder level.

6) Type:

DIR/A

There should be a folder called Content.IE5. I'm using IE 6, not 5. I don't know if IE7 will still use the .IE5 folder name. If not, use whatever name it uses instead.

7) Type:

CD CONTENT.IE5

The prompt line is getting very long now: "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5>". You might want to make the window wider. You can't do this just by grabbing the edge with the mouse. Click on the little icon at the top left of the window and select Properties. Go to the Layout tab and change Screen BUffer Size and Window Size to 120 or something like that. You can increase the height of the window here or by simply dragging the bottom edge with the mouse.

8) OK, now comes that hard parts! There may be thousands of files in your temporary internet files folder. Start up IE and navigate to the web page just before the video you want to see -- the page where you click on the thumbnail to view the video. Go to IE tools section and use the options to delete the temporary internet files. Once you have done this click on the thumbnail of the video to start it playing.

9) Back at the CLI type:

DIR/A/S *.FLV

This will show the names of all FLV files in all folders down from the current location. The /A means all files, including hidden files, and all folders (Subdirectories). *.FLV means any file whos name ends in .FLV. The file will have a cryptic name and be in a cryptically named folder. A folder something like "DBJGK7LV" and a name like "212469179_1313545292_92068e8644910bc5b37c93b9a594 27232a4c599f[1].flv".

10) Navigate into that folder, type (use whatever folder name contains the FLV file you want):

CD DBJGK7LV

11) Now you are at the point where you can access the FLV file(s). The easiest thing to do is just copy them elsewhere so they can be accessed easily by explorer. Type

COPY /B *.FLV C:\

That will copy all the FLV files to the root of drive C. Note that's a backslash after the C:, not a forward slash. The /B may not be necessary but it doesn't hurt (it means consider the file a binary file, not a text file).

12) Use Explorer to rename and move the files from the root of drive C to wherever you want them.

13) If you want to get more files without having to repeat all these steps type:

CD ..

To return to the previous folder. Then go back and repeat steps 8 to 12.

Now that I've spent an hour typing up that tutorial... You'll probably find it easier to use FireFox and a plugin that allows you to save FLV files. I don't remember the name of the plugin but I know it exists...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Wow!! I really appreciate the time you took to give me detailed instruction on this man. Thanks a ton. I'll let you know if I have success tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seems like a lot of work! I tried one of the videos on brightcove, and WM Recorder recorded it with no fuss.

I have found that sometimes you just get that "CANCELLED" message. Usually trying one or two more times will work, if not, trying again later often works.

I have used WM Recorder for years, and have found it emminently reliable.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Here's a sample CLI session. I hilited the commands that I typed in.

Click on the image for full res.

Oh, and this doesn't seem to work for all the videos there. Some seem to be purely streamed, not cached on the hard drive.

Orbit (as mentioned earlier) works for some files from there. Use its Grab++ tool to get the URL of the FLV files.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Awesome help jagabo. You're the man!!

Semaphoric,

WM Recorder never recognized the html link and the file name for the video I wanted to download, so then I would manually put it in and that's when I got the canceled notice. What extension did you put on the file name (asf, wmv, etc.)?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was using v11, ADA mode, with auto. It just picked the file right up. It was recorded as an .FLV file.

I also have v10.2 on my system, set to PRO mode, 'one click recording'. Often, that will pick up streams that v11 won't. I have tried to duplicate the settings form my version of v10.2 into v11, but just can't seem to get them right.

I probably use v10.2 most often, because I find it most reliable with the site I use it on most often (KBS [Korean telvision] VODs). for everything else (YouTube and that ilk), v11 works fine and is more convenient.

I wish I knew more about adjusting the settings.

You may want to have a look at The Stream Recording Forum.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just FYI these new players and or embedding techniques do NOT store FLV files in either the cache, or the Temporary Internet folders. Which is most likely why he's asking the question in the first place. I found this thread for the very same reason. The files are NOT stored locally, and/or are encrypted somehow. And i can find no indication of an FLV file embedded in the page source.

Oh, and this also goes for MTV and MSN video as well. Can't download 'em.
    Quote Quote  
  15. FWIW Orbit Downloader works, for some but not all of the videos on Brightcove.tv.

Wonder if Brightcove.tv is simply a search and collection point for other video sites?

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  16. Orbit worked for a half dozen music videos I tried from MTV.com. It worked for many videos from MSN.com including music videos and tv episodes. I couldn't get several "biographies" from MSN.com though.

Regarding videos not being cached: Yes, it's true that some videos are purely streamed and not cached locally. But many videos are cached locally and can't be seen with Explorer (even with the hidden and system file options enabled). If you use explorer to browse your Temporary Internet Files you won't seen them. But they can be seen and copied via the Command Prompt.
    Quote Quote  
  17. When i enter Dir/A

It says VOlume in drive C is Ryan
    VOlume Serial Number is A4A9-BCb3

Directory of C:\Users\Georgeboy\Local Settings

File not found

So i type in CD TEMPOR*

and says "The filename, directory, or volume label syntax is incorrect"
    Quote Quote  
  18. In Windows XP, user data is in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\...
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Des
    FWIW Orbit Downloader works, for some but not all of the videos on Brightcove.tv.
    Haven't tried it at that particular site yet, but I just upgraded Orbit from v. 2.6.5 to 2.71, and I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this curious error: you go to download something, and it says FireFox has generated an error, with a strong recommendation to terminate the session and restart FF. Of course, doing that would lose the video. (This is not that Dr. Watson BS with the error dump, where you don't have any choice.) I've been ignoring it, to keep going and to see what happens. The video still downloads, and it seems I can continue using FF and Orbit without restarting either, and without unstable functioning of these apps. Is this message a bug ? I'm using the latest FF.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Des
    FWIW Orbit Downloader works, for some but not all of the videos on Brightcove.tv.

Wonder if Brightcove.tv is simply a search and collection point for other video sites?
    It has not worked for me, for any that I've tried to get from Brightcove . . . so far. Orbit does not find them, or something. And I can tell you that for a number of the videos I've watched there, they definitely cross-route to some other site that hosts the file, even though it may seem that you are still visiting Brightcove. Some sneaky techniques being employed by some of these sites, but we shall prevail in the end !
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hey, I know this thread is a few years old now. I found it by Googling "download brightcove video." The techniques described here haven't worked for me, so I think BC's technology and security have improved since this conversation started.

Also, another disclaimer.. I'm interested in saving a standard .mp4 or similar video file from Brightcove video player, not recording a stream. So I may be a little bit off-topic. But maybe if someone else finds this thread the way I did, my info will be useful for them.

I came up with a way to download a Brightcove video.

Here's what you need -
    • Safari 4+ and another browser like Firefox.
    • You MUST disable or uninstall Flash Player.
    • Safari's "Develop" menu must be enabled.

If you've got those three things taken care of, downloading and saving a Brightcove video is easy! Check out the step-by-step tutorial on my website.

I haven't tried this on Windows. It should work, but the steps to disable Flash Player will be different. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another necropost:

I just spent a while trying to download a podcast supplied via a Brightcove flash element.
    DownloadHelper didn't see anything.
    Orbit Downloader also failed.
    However, URLSnooper gave me the URL of the player, and dropping that in Stream Transport finally got the stream, which it could save as an flv.
    (StreamTransport couldn't play the complete HTML page properly, but it could do the flash object.)

As the audio codec was MP3, I renamed the flv to an mp3, saved it via MP3DirectCut (which resynced the frames) and I had a good MP3.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 19th Jul 2011 at 08:59.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone please help me download this video song

http://admin.brightcove.com/viewer/us20120127.1119/BrightcoveBootloader.swf?playerID=9...de=transparent

In fact, i mainly want the Good quality song, i dont care about the video.

PS: Does anyone know what song is this and can lead me to the original video?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OMG ...IDM worked!! So easy. THANKS!!!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by godofcat View Post
    OMG ...IDM worked!! So easy. THANKS!!!

Hello.

I, (like half of the people in this thread, it seems) came here just for this thread.

So, to be clear: IDM (http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/) will work to grab the video from the url he listed? That's the url type I need to get the video?

For me, it would be:

http://admin.brightcove.com/viewer/us20120607.1317/BrightcoveBootloader.swf?playerID=1...de=transparent

?

Having spent the last few days looking into this, I narrowed down the latter part url address of the video that I want to: &mp4:23/72312175001/72312175001_1679244489001_Elamite-BlueTeam-Gp-07.mp4

Based on a few files in my cache. (specifically analytics and such)

It seems odd to me that the url I need to use to download the video is the brightcove bootloader file/url, seeing as how that just initates the other components of brightcove player, as far as I can tell. The only direct, relevant info relating to the video file it contains that I can see is the ID and url for the site's player it should play on (" playerID=1047610103001&purl=http%3A%2F%2Ftv.majorl eaguegaming.com%2Fvideos%2F89549-halo-4-exclusive-look-elamite-on-haven&%40)

There's also simaliar urls that have other or addtional "trait=state" things in the name, such as "videoid=########...". I would think the brightcove loader url that has that in it would be more suited for downloading than anything else, such as:

http://goku.brightcove.com/1pix.gif?dcsdat=1339273492343&dcsref=not%20available&player...er/video_view&videoId=1679164341001&playerId=1047610103001&affiliateId=

http://goku.brightcove.com/1pix.gif?dcsdat=1339273335890&dcsref=not%20available&flashV...d=72312175001&videoId=1679164341001&mem=27440&playerId=1047610103001

and such.

EDIT:

And clicking the first link I gave ( http://admin.brightcove.com/viewer/us20120607.1317/BrightcoveBootloader.swf?playerID=1...de=transparent ) Gave me a "The video you are trying to watch cannot be viewed from this website" message.

Besides the fact that the url contained no info about the video url, it DOES contain the "playerid=____&purl=_____" part, which presumbly means the player ID and url the video in question is able to be accessed from.

EDIT2:

The one difference between the url he linked too and mine was the lack of the "playerkey=____..." tag on mine.

I found this url:

http://admin.brightcove.com/viewer/us20120607.1317/BrightcoveBootloader.swf?playerID=1...de=transparent

Which has the playerkey tag, and it doesn't work either.
    Last edited by MajoraZ; 10th Jun 2012 at 08:07.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Stream recording expert Bahman's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why do you want to making it complicated for your self?

Just install IDM and go to this webpage, then you can download the vid with one click!! that's all!!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Bahman View Post
    Why do you want to making it complicated for your self?

Just install IDM and go to this webpage, then you can download the vid with one click!! that's all!!
    I tried that...
    Quote Quote  
  28. Yes, I'm reviving this thread on purpose. Does nyone know how to download original stream video form this service, for example:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid77867086001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAA0Xi_s~,r1...=2059149883001

The link leads directly to the video but service returns flash-player and DOES not uses buffer features which results lack of stream dump files on local storage/HDD.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote