VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem:
    - listen to 2 separate audio channels at the same time (concurrently)
    • e.g. English an channel 1 and German on channel 2
    • in such a way that a movie can be played so that 2 people can listen to the sound separately in 2 different languages (e.g. one over loudspeaker the other over headphones).

Unsuccessful trials:
    - players (e.g. media player classic, BS-Player and others) do not concurrently (at the same time) play more than 1 audio stream from a DVD
    - concurrently (not consecutively) ripping and separating the audio- and video streams
    - scanning this and other forums for a working solution.

Solution sought:
    - identification of player which features concurrent playback of multiple audio streams
    - tips&tricks, practical advise for multiple playback
    - identification of tools and advise on how to appropriately rip DVD so it can be played back with concurrent audio

Tx for your efforts !
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, what a challenge! Back in the tape days, it could be done easier, but I can't think of any set-top DVD player or or DVD software that can play the two audio streams concurrently. However, there is a reauthoring option. In theory, you could : 1) rip the DVD, 2) demux video and all audio streams, 3) make mono versions of each audio stream, 4) use an audio editor to allocate each audio stream to the left and right channels, and 5) remux the new dual-language audio stream back in with the video stream. Thereafter, you can split the stereo channels, sending each language version to targeted audiences. This all seems very convoluted, but I'm not sure there are very many other options. Hopefully, some others in this forum offer better ideas. When you find a solution, please let us know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could run two instances of VLC player each showing the same movie. It wouldn't be simultaneous but you could probably get real close. This would also require a second audio card. You could also demux both audios to WAV -> open them both in Audacity => erase the left channel of one & the right channel of the other -> save as 2channel WAV -> (convert to AC3) -> remux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd say you have to find this first ...

Solution sought:
    - identification of player which features concurrent playback of multiple audio streams

And if you do, then you can tackle the software.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thx guys for replying

I have heard complaints about the windows media player erroneously playing to audio streams at the same time.
    If this behaviour can be triggered by command this could be a working solution to my problem.

Any ideas ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WMP does playback multiple streams simultaneously, however it mixes them into a single output. Also, it only does this from avi files with multiple streams, not DVDs.

I also do not know of any software that lets you redirect one stream to speakers, and the other to headphones. This would be a feature that would have to be supported by the hardware and drivers. Even having different languages in different channels doesn't solve the problem because you can't direct left to speakers and right to headphones, for example.

So you have two levels of problem

One is find the right software.

Two is finding hardware that supports what you want to do.

Good luck. I suspect you would have to be looking for specialty kit, not something in general circulation.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Every now and then we get a post where some guy is the only person in the world who wants to do something and he doesn't understand why there is no software that can do what he wants. This is one of those posts.

filmboss80's post is your answer. You can either do what he suggests or you can waste your time looking for another solution.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am also looking for this kind of software,
    I have not found any yet.

I see too options, getting the source code of VLC and programm this new feature !

or

use two instances of vlc playing the same file,
    and all the work is somehow to find a way to synchronise them.

The last solution is not the most elegant one, but seems more "do-able".

JaK
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would also VERY appreciate the feature of playing of concurrent audio streams.
    Many people would use it.
    Media containing more than one language could be, if available, watched by people with different language skills at the same time. So this is my opinion.

-aa-
    Quote Quote