VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a bunch of ~13GB DV AVIs. My plan is to load each into Virtualdub, find choice video clips, isolate them with the selection keys, and save them as individual files. "Direct stream copy" is supposed to save the data directly, rather than perform any processing.

But for some reason, it's taking an extremely long time. I just isolated a 0.25-second clip and had Virtualdub save it. The resulting file is 1.5MB large. It took 33 seconds to finish this task.

At this pace, it would literally be better just to load the whole video up into Premiere Pro and let that program sit there for a solid hour, analyzing it, so it could get to the point where it can fluidly seek around in the video, the way Virtualdub can do without first needing to waste an hour. At least PPro would be able to save the clip with relative ease - not taking two minutes for every second of video.

Anyway, this seems a bit screwy so I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Something is definitely wrong. Direct Stream Copy of DV AVI should be way faster than realtime even when the input and output files are on the same drive. If you use explorer to copy the file what kind of speeds do you get? I'm thinking maybe your drive has fallen out of DMA mode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seems like the problem may be that VirtualDub has a much more difficult time writing to networked drives than Premiere Pro. Wouldn't be the first time I encountered this problem. Although usually, when I do find an app that has such a shortcoming, that app is old and no longer supported.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Odd. I tried writing to a network share (gigabit ethernet, Direct Stream Copy) and was getting very low frame rates like you.

As I was fiddling around trying to figure out what might be the cause of the problem it went away. Writing a 4GB ~18 minute DV AVI file from a local drive to a network share took about 4 minutes. The other way around was about the same. With both the input and output on the same network share it took about 6 minutes.
    Quote Quote