VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Sometimes when I start up my laptop, I have problem getting an IP from my router for it, I've set my router to allow for 50 users.. and its password protected, what happens is when the comp starts up it will take forever to grab an ip, sometimes it doesn't even connect, give sme a 169 ip and I have to restart a few times before it will pick up a 192 ip. I don't have static ip set.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What router ?
    What are your computer specs ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You want to speed things up, but most routers are limited in the maximum number of assigned static address's, and anything else becomes non-static, which slows the whole lot down.

Try setting the laptop up with a static ip address, which is known as acceptable by the router, you want to get rid of what is known as "roaming", its slow as hell at times.

Ie, router allows ips from .20 to .70, then set laptop up with static address withing range, say .21

Then there's distance, and objects between communicating devices to deal with.

Personally, if there is no need to allow for "50" ip's, then avoid doing this, and assign only enough ip's as required, which will improve responsiveness in the network.

----

Another problem is neighborhood networks within close proximity which could be the problem ... Im looking at this 169 problem.

There is no way your laptop should be grabbing anything other than a 192 from your local networks, unless someone else nearby has a similar setup which is causing the fault ... and of course, they could also be using the same ip assignments, which stuffs things about.

On your router, check the routers default wireless network broadcast nic ... change it to something other than the default so as to prevent common issues with other local networks, and so you can clearly identify it by name when the laptop dose a network search.

You should, if multiples exist within range, force the laptops wireless to sign in on your local network nic as the default, it may be possible depending on the software settings to ignore other networks within range, which would speed up the connection.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check your DHCP table to see if unauthorized computers are accessing your system (there should be a list of MAC addresses that have been issued an IP address by your router). Turn logging ON, at least until you figure out your problem.

You also need to tell us your signal strengths that you receive from your router.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  5. Then there's distance, and objects between communicating devices to deal with.

The router is directly below the laptop in the basement and the thing is the connection rate will jump from 38mbps to 54 every now and then, while the laptop is in the same spot without moving it..

Another problem is neighborhood networks within close proximity which could be the problem ... Im looking at this 169 problem.

I have my laptop set to only connect to my router and nothing else, I thought 169 ip was the ip that windows assign your computer if it is unable to grab a valid ip.As well I have already changed the SSID to something other then the original.

guns1inger: The router I have is wrt54gc and I'm running XP SP2 with 4gb +8800GT and 1TB of HDD.

SLK001: Logging is on and there are no unauthorized logons.
    Quote Quote