VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have several VHS tapes that I want to get on my computer. Is there a company out there who will convert my VHS tapes to a computer file format, or something I can use to get into Windows Movie Maker to edit?

I would gladly pay for this service
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do a search in your local phone book, usually under video restoration or conversion. You should be able to find a few local shops that can perform the conversion for you.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Most camera stores do it.

Or just buy a dual deck dvd recorder & do it yourself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cheaper to do it yourself unless you want to spend the $$$$$$
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Get/borrow a camcorder with av-dv pass through and a firewire card if you don't have one. Save them as avi's.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hubie
    I have several VHS tapes that I want to get on my computer. Is there a company out there who will convert my VHS tapes to a computer file format, or something I can use to get into Windows Movie Maker to edit?

I would gladly pay for this service
    This is probably the same question -- or close enough -- to having a commercial service convert your VHS tapes to DVD. Once in DVD format, the contents can be ripped to your computer for editing and further processing. There are a number of private production houses that do this (I've seen one in my own neighborhood, in fact), though my guess is that their prices would be towards the higher end of the curve. In terms of other such services I've heard of that might be worth investigating, check out a Ritz Camera or a Costco location in your area, as I think they do this. I'd suggest you give them ONE VHS cassette as a test (representative, but not of vital importance to you), then see what you thought of the price and the quality of results.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As the previous posters suggested, there are several that do this. I too notice one in my area as well, they're everywhere. I'm sure you won't have difficulty finding one.

Alot depends on your volume. If you want to convert more than a few dozen tapes this will cost you quite a bit with an outsourced service. You would be better off buying a nice card for your PC or a DVR instead. (And you can use the latter for other stuff too.)

Keep in mind, ask what process they use. Some of the smaller places may use a very "home solution". Don't bother with them if you have plenty of tapes.

But I would recommend one of these services if it's done professionally for a few of your most precious tapes.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    tmorg2009 - Don't dig up ancient posts to add to them (we call this "grave robbing"). The people who asked questions years ago are usually no longer around to read your reply. Hubie hasn't logged in since Jan. 2008.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    tmorg2009 - Don't dig up ancient posts to add to them (we call this "grave robbing"). The people who asked questions years ago are usually no longer around to read your reply. Hubie hasn't logged in since Jan. 2008.
    Not to mention the fact that all his other posts are exactly the same and equally irrelevant to the subject of the threads in which he's posted. I've reported him.
    Quote Quote