VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I don't think it can get any more basic than this, and I'm sure there are a hundred different programs I could use... Um, I've got an animation I did in MPEG format and I want to burn it to a DVD, with chapters and menus and all that good stuff. Any good product recommendations? Sorry, I'm about as nooby as a newbie can be...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    First, look to the upper left on this page for 'WHAT IS' DVD. That will tell you the DVD specification, format and structure. Is your MPEG compliant to that? If so, what you need to do is author it to the DVD format, adding chapters, menus, etc. Then you burn it to a DVD disc.

For freeware, try GUI for dvdauthor. For burning, try ImgBurn. And I would recommend using a good quality DVD disc, such as Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. TY is not generally available in retail stores, but you should find Verbatim.

If you also look at the bottom of the tool pages for GUI for dvdauthor and ImgBurn, there are links to guides for the programs. Also other guides are available to the left.

And el_cid, in the future please use a more discriptive title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. This is in our rules. I will change yours this time.
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I'll give those a try. How hard could it be right...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oy! GUI for DVDauthor is giving me an error message that "only Mpeg2" files can be used for its chapter editor module. Um, is there any way to convert to an Mpeg2? Ooh, scratch that, I'll look it up in the How To section...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can drop your video into Gspot and it will tell you the attributes of the file. If you need to convert it to MPEG and you don't need a complex menu or authoring, you might try one of the 'All-in-one' DVD converters like the freeware FAVC. Or the payware ConvertXtoDVD. Other converters here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/all-in-one-dvd-converters

Otherwise if it's not a DVD compliant MPEG file, you would need to encode it to MPEG format before authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's an MPEG-1. I found the AVSDVDConverter product and it supposedly at least can convert MPEG-1 to MPEG2 but it's sloooooooooooow! And if I want to get rid of the watermark I have to up some $$$. Gonna keep looking. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can use a compliant MPEG-1 for a DVD. In fact, I would recommend that instead of converting it to MPEG-2, if your MPEG-1 is DVD compliant. Every conversion or encode lowers the quality and should be avoided if possible. MPEG-1 normally uses 44.1Khz audio while MPEG-2 uses 48Khz. If the frame size is correct for a DVD, even 352 x 240 or 352 x 288, just change the audio Khz and author it.

And there are plenty of freeware programs out there that can do the needed conversions.
    Quote Quote