VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have several VOB files that I am trying to convert to AVI, Im not sure what to use or how to maintain the quality. Also, what is (standard) AVI format? I have total video converter that I am working with not the only program I have) and under AVI it gives Xvid, Divx, Ms Mpeg4, MJpeg, loseless avi...I am confused lastly how wouldI go about cleanly cutting these into various sized pieces (episodes so to speak). Any help or indept tutorial sites would be gratly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is you goal with the avis? Further editing? Play on divx dvd players or just play on computers?

And VOB= DVD so moving you to our dvd to avi section.
    Quote Quote  
  3. AVI is a container -- a standardized box you put video and audio in. That audio and video can be compressed or not with any number of codecs (some of which you listed). Beyond the shape of the box there is no standard as to what it contains. Just like with FedEx flat packs the envelope is a standard shape and size but you can put whatever you want in it.

Different codecs have different strengths and weaknesses. Which you want to use depends on your needs and goals.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My goal is to take these VOb files and make them easily usable (via duble click) on any ordinary windows based computer with media player without having to download some special codec. I am trying to make these files easily universal to my familiy and their computers. What would be the standard (most popular that requires no extra upgrade or download, the most commonly used) avi compression or format....basically what do I choice when converting. What is a good general program to use to accomplish this.

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    What is you goal with the avis? Further editing? Play on divx dvd players or just play on computers?

And VOB= DVD so moving you to our dvd to avi section.
    Trying to Convert from DVD/VOB to AVI, wouldn't this be the correct thread? I want them to be easily playable on computers via AVI.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, if you want to turn the VOB to a file that is easily seen on a Windows computer, you can convert to Windows Media Video (WMV), playable on the media player that is standard with Windows. The easiest process is to use WinFF (freeware) to convert to WMV. Of course, you may want to tweak with bitrate settings to get the desired quality and file size.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80
    Okay, if you want to turn the VOB to a file that is easily seen on a Windows computer, you can convert to Windows Media Video (WMV), playable on the media player that is standard with Windows. The easiest process is to use WinFF (freeware) to convert to WMV. Of course, you may want to tweak with bitrate settings to get the desired quality and file size.

OK, but what is a sandard AVI codec, most popular. Also what is a good program towork with avi. My issue is that I want to know/learn, and the reason this came up is that total video converter gave me multiple choices of avi and I didn't know different types existed.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by tonyclem
    OK, but what is a sandard AVI codec, most popular.
    Divx (or Xvid) is probably the most popular video codec used in AVI files. But Windows does not include a Divx decoder. Anyone who wants to view a Divx AVI will have to download the Divx (or other MPEG4 ASP) decoder. Of the codecs that come with Windows none of them is really suitable for upload/download purposes. Microsoft has been trying to get people to switch from AVI to WMV for many years.

Originally Posted by tonyclem
    Also what is a good program towork with avi. My issue is that I want to know/learn
    AviDemux or VirtualDubMod are good choices.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There doesn't seem to be a standard AVI these days, and I can understand the confusion. AVI is a container, with many widely different video formats ending with the .avi extension. Someone on another post gave an analogy of AVI being like a shipping box. You can put a different variety of items in the box. Likewise, vastly different and often incompatible video compression schemes can be contained in a file with an .avi extension. (Much like vastly different programs can have an .exe extension.) I suggested WMV earlier, simply because you were hoping to find something that can be played universally on other Windows computers. Just because the video has a .wmv extension doesn't mean it won't be as worthy as a video with an .avi extension. Jagabo mentioned VirtualDubMod. It is freeware and you may want to experiment with that. I think it will allow you to select some basic Microsoft AVI set ups that will work for you.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I agree that WMV is the best choice for web distribution if the OP doesn't want viewers to have to download codecs. I would recommend WMM or WME but I don't think they'll take VOB files as input. Maybe if he remux's into MPG first.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i just downloaded winff, and did see my video when I pushed play, but I can get the setting right to make it convert. I want to go vob to avi ( or something that will be playable on windows media player) I did notice that there seemed to be some fuzzyness while I was watching playback on the winff player. ANy suggestions?

Thank you
    hb
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are getting blocky, pixelated images, your video bit rate may be too low. You can try raising the rate with the Options menu of WinFF. The problem with an easy, one-click converter like WinFF is that it gets more complicated when trying to alter the command lines for preset functions. As another contributor here mentioned, VirtualDub will also make VOB to AVI conversions. (In fact, that's what I use, too.) Try it -- it's also free. Under Video > Compression, you have a number of AVI codec choices. The Microsoft Video 1 selection is very compatible with Windows Media Player. Try that. Heck, do experiments with short clips, using a number of AVI codec choices. See how Windows Media Player treats the clips.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you filmboss. I downloaded virtualdubmod and got a successful conversion from vob to avi !!

I did notice on my final avi that although it was pretty good quality, I noticed some slight pixilation and blurriness when moving the camera around, say from person to person. It is only detectable when there is motion on the video. would the frame rate thing you mentioned cure that? How can I best alter settings to try and cure this problem.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The OP was tonyclem, and hygieneboy has similar issues. But it occurred to me that you two may have differing objectives. So, back to basics: Most AVI files will take up more disc space than VOB files of the same resolution, unless you are using the Divx / Xvid AVI codecs. For the OP's situation, I had suggested WMV as a means of having something that can universally show on Windows Media Player, while not taking up much disc space. If picture quality is more important than compatibility with other users, knock your lights out with Xvid AVI (a free codec that you must install). WinFF will do conversions to that, as well. Hygieneboy: If you have blockiness with your AVI compression choice under VirtualDub, try another. Be forewarned that YUV AVI files take up tons of disc space, so you might want to avoid that choice. Again, you can get great DVD quality for less than the original file size if you convert to Divx or Xvid -- but remember, while those are great playback AVI formats, they are not edit-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
  15. If you are using Xvid try setting the codec to Single Pass, Target Quantizer mode, and set the Quantizer to 3.

If you are using Divx set it to 1-Pass Quality Based encoding with a Quantizer of 3.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, how do i change these codec settings? Sorry, Im not the sharpest knife in the drawer !
    Quote Quote  
  17. In VirtualDub(Mod) select Video -> Compression. Hilite the Xvid or Divx codec in the left hand pane, press the Configure button towards the right. That will get you the dialog with the codecs' settings:

If you want even higher quality set the quantizer to 2. For lower quality use 4. You can also use decimal numbers like 2.5 or 3.3.

One note: if the Xvid Target Quantizer button says Target Bitrate, click on it to change it to Target Quantizer.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i did on of my vobs to an avi using the divx setting, and this one was not good. Lots of breaking up of video and the sound was off. What does that tell me?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Did you encode the same file as before?

Picture break up usually means a bad source file (or decoder for the source file).

Out of sync audio when converting VOB to AVI with VirtualDubMod can mean a variable frame rate VOB file. Or that the the source had an audio delay that VirtualDubMod didn't detect. If the audio is off by a constant amount throughout the AVI you can use the Audio Skew Correction in VirtualDubMod to fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My version of VirtualDub didn't offer xvd or divx as a setting, originally, so I downloaded the xvid codec, right-clicked on that file, and selected Install. After that, it showed up as a choice under VirtualDub's Video > Compression setting. You may need to do that, too, if your VirtualDubMod didn't include xvid. You must also select Video > Full processing mode in VirtualDub. Another point: Your conversions may be troublesome due to the AC3 audio stream in the VOB file. Make sure you download AC3ACM (free add-on codec) and install it under your VirtualDub folder. Then, under VirtualDub's Audio menu, select "Full processing mode."

You also mentioned having tried WinFF. Have you experimented with the same VOB file using one of WinFF's "Xvid in AVI" presets? To save time, experiment with a short VOB file--usually the very last VOB file in a VIDEO_TS folder. VirtualDub is my preferred tool, but if you are unsure about all the settings at this point, you may want to go back to a one-button solution like WinFF.
    Quote Quote