VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hiya,

I am new in this forum, However I use the program called Xvid4PSP, for encode .mkv files to the PSP AVC mp4 format. I got here a mkv file that contains ENG/JAP audio and subs ( ENG). So the problem is When I open this file in Xvid4PSP, I can choose which audio I want, that nice, but it doesnt seems to read the SUB at all. This could maybe be that the subs are softcoded? So my ques I need to hardcode it permanently, how ? I just dont want any modification in the other files, so the quality remain the same just how do I get the subs working( which include in the .mkv container and not as a seperate file). However I did try MKVmerge, I do see the sub and can extract it but when i try to add it in Xvid4PSP ( add subtitle), it cant read it.
    Any help?
    Thnx!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is subtitle format? I think mkvmerve / mkvextractgui should tell what format it is.

If you don't know then try open the subtitle file with notepad and see if you see the subtitles then post a short example here. If it's just garble it's image subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi baldrick thnx for your reply, its according to mkvmerge: ASS.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Convert it to srt, google for ass to srt.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So baldrick, I need to exract the sub with mkvmerge, and save it as .ass? then with a program that convert ass to .srt? thnx

*edit : Oke I found Vobsub, but how does this works after install? I open Vobsub, I can select the .ASS file I extracted with MKVmerge, but nothing happen it wont convert or sumtin.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when converting some ASS files, because of the features of ASS, converting to SRT isn't the best option (ie, subtitles that are used to translate a sign in a show at a 15 degree angle get dropped to a text line which can mix with other subtitles...)

but for people who do want to try to convert ass from a mkv to srt, i use AegiSub to extract the ass from mkv, then save it as a srt, but sometimes you need to skim through the srt because it splits text oddly sometimes and/or places text on top of each other when it shouldn't [or you have special ass formats that get set as a standard subtitle]..
    Quote Quote