VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have converted a VOB file in VirtualDub to Digitial Video using Huffyuv AVI successfully.

My question is this, which is better?

1. Converting the frame rate from 23.976 fps to 29.97 fps in VirtualDub during the conversion, then editing in Premiere 6.0 and exporting at 29.97 fps?

OR

2. Leaving it as is (at 23.976 fps), and then after editing the video in Adobe Premiere 6.0, exporting at 29.97 fps?

I am doing a hard 2:3 telecine by forcing the video to be 29.97 fps. I tried leaving it at 23.976 fps and exporting at 23.98 fps in Premiere, and when played in my DVD player, you can clearly see that it skipped frames. So it seems like my DVD authoring software (Ulead DVD Workshop 2) is not putting in the right tags to tell the DVD player to do the 2:3 pull down.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on the source. If the source is really 23.976fps progressive then you want to keep it that way for all processing and just do 3:2 pulldown which is done to the file prior to authoring. That is not an authoring tool function.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greets,

I'm a fan of DGPulldown when it comes to changing fps.

http://neuron2.net/dgpulldown/dgpulldown.html

Good luck.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Rene: Could you not just wound him a little bit?
    Hans: Well now, with a 25 pound shell that is not easy.

'Allo 'Allo
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DGPulldown will only accept elementary MPEG streams (*.m1v, *.m2v) and he is working with HuffYUV AVI file.

@wasimismail,
    Can we assume your DVD player supports AVI playback (DivX, Xvid, etc.)?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nah, at some point he's converting the HuffYUV file to DVD for his player. Hard telecining is stupid when you start with a progressive 23.976fps source. FulciLives and RickA are correct in recommending pulldown be applied after the encode to MPEG-2 and before being sent to DVDWS.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Is the 3:2 pulldown really not an authoring tool function? I looked at Roxio DVDit Pro and it states that it has:

"3:2 progressive scan pulldown support" under Professional Timeline.
    Quote Quote  
  7. See the strange thing is that I encoded in TMGEnc using the 3:2 pulldown and then after bringing it to Ulead DVD Workshop, it looked like it was doing another quick encoding again. Why does it need to encode again if the file is already been encoded with TMGEnc? Plus, Ulead only has a 29.97 fps setting in there that one can't change, so it seems like that software does not support 3:2 pulldown. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Does anyone know anything about Roxios' DVDit Pro HD and its 3:2 pulldown support? Does that mean that this sofrware encodes, puts in the 3:2 pulldown tags, then burns the finished product to DVD?

Any help would be appreciated, awaiting with great interest.
    Quote Quote  
  8. No one with any sense uses anything by Roxio. If you're curious about what's going on with your TMPGEnc encodes after DVDWS gets it's hands on them, then how about uploading short 10 second sections of the before and after?
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK thanks for the warning.

Well I got some good news. I used TMPGEnc to encode the digital video and applied the 3:2 pulldown. Then I burned that file in Ulead DVD Workshop and it worked. I guess what Ulead was doing was not converting the MPEG2 video, rather, scanning it before burning it.

Now, there is a nother slight problem. On the 23.976 fps video, I added some rolling titles on the screen in Adobe Premiere 6.0. Those titles (names of the cast, copyrights, etc.) were choppy in their movements in my first try.

So it seems like the 3:2 pulldown is causing this on the video which was rendered in 23.976 fps originally.

So what I am going to try to do is do the text rendering in 29.97 fps, then convert the video in VirtualDub from 29.97 fps to 23.976 fps, encode with the 3:2 pulldown, and then author to DVD. Hopefully that fixes the choppiness of the rolling titles. Does that sound reasonable?
    Quote Quote