VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi to all.
    I'm havin an issue with the flvs i've been producing with ffmpeg.
    I convert quicktime seq to flv. It looks great.
    Yet once online, i am incapable of skipping forward or fast forwarding the playback.
    I even have this issue using vlc player or other flv players directly from my hard drive.
    Is there something i could be doing wrong in ffmpeg. Am i maybe missing some metadata array?
    Or is it some kind of code problem.

As an example, you can check out: http://www.paroles-et-memoires.org/dec07/video_P_1.htm

thanks in advance for your help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by teedufour
    Am i maybe missing some metadata array?
    It appears so, yes. The time counter on the right should be counting down from the duration time to 00:00, if the web player knows the total runtime. As it stays on 00:00, it appears it doesn't know the duration of the clip.

1/ Have you installed FLVTool2? (This adds metadata to FLV output files.)
    2/ At least some people have found FLVTool2 to be not working because of a path error (for scripting language Ruby) in the code. You should look at the Process Information log (blue "i" button in the Progress window) to see if this applies to you, by looking for something like
    Code:
    /bin/sh: /Applications/ffmpegX.app//Contents/Resources/flvtool2: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
    You may need to correct this path error.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Case.
    I've been trying to install flvtool2 and this is what i get in terminal...

powerbook-g4-15-de-tee-dufour:~ tee$ /Users/tee/Desktop/flvtool2-1 ruby setup.rb config
    -bash: /Users/tee/Desktop/flvtool2-1: is a directory
    powerbook-g4-15-de-tee-dufour:~ tee$ ruby setup.rb setup
    ruby: No such file or directory -- setup.rb (LoadError)
    powerbook-g4-15-de-tee-dufour:~ tee$ sudo ruby setup.rb install
    ruby: No such file or directory -- setup.rb (LoadError)
    powerbook-g4-15-de-tee-dufour:~ tee$

I am not very familiar with these kind of things... Am just trying to deliver flvs that clients can have "time control" over...

thanks for your time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, lets go over the steps to install flvtool2 with some more detail:

1/ Download flvtool2-1.0.6.tgz
    2/ Decompress the file, by double-clicking the .tgz file. Now you should have a folder called flvtool2-1.0.6 on your Desktop.
    3/ Open Terminal.app
    4/ Type "cd " (including the space, without the quotes), then drop the folder "flvtool2-1.0.6" onto the terminal shell window. Hit <Enter> to change to the new working directory (cd is a command for change directory). It should now read "Computer-name:~/Desktop/flvtool2-1.0.6 username$ ".
    5/ Type "ruby setup.rb config" (without the quotes). Hit <Enter> to execute that command (let Ruby do a config on the setup.rb file).
    6/ Type "ruby setup.rb setup" (without the quotes). Hit <Enter> to execute that command (let Ruby do a setup on the setup.rb file).
    7/ Type "sudo ruby setup.rb install" (without the quotes). Hit <Enter> to execute that command (let Ruby do an install on the setup.rb file, with admin permissions so it can access the needed directory for installation).
    8/ The "sudo" (superuser do) from the previous step will prompt you to enter your admin account login password.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Case, Thanks again for your time.
    i was able to install the flvtool2 (wasn't paying attention to the "spaces".
    and ran a ffmpeg test flv.
    Seems to me reading the progress report that metadata info has been created, but my issue now is that the progression bar stops progressing at 1mn20secs wheras the movie goes on for more than 3min. The playback is fine, but time control after that 1min20 is not possible or at least hasardous given the fact that the cursor is stuck on the right of the timeline.

any ideas.

tee.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry me again. If it can help, here's the prosgress info from the test:
    and another issue that may help. When playing via vlc, if i try to fast forward i get the error message : "ffmpeg: Seeking too far : EOF?"

FFmpeg version CVS, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
    Mac OSX universal build for ffmpegX
    libavutil version: 49.0.0
    libavcodec version: 51.9.0
    libavformat version: 50.4.0
    Wed Apr 30 15:56:56 CEST 2008
    Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '/Users/tee/Movies/CATS AND DOGS LTBX2.mov':
    Duration: 00:03:22.6, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 30340 kb/s
    Stream #0.0(eng), 25.00 fps(r): Video: dvvideo, yuv420p, 720x576
    Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: pcm_s16le, 48000 Hz, stereo, 1536 kb/s
    Output #0, flv, to '/Users/tee/Desktop/cts and dogs flv test.flv':
    Stream #0.0, 12.00 fps(c): Video: flv, yuv420p, 320x240, q=2-15, 200 kb/s
    Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 22050 Hz, stereo, 56 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
    Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
    video:5060kB audio:1386kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 2.471343%
    bench: utime=29.722s
    ---
    /Users/tee/Desktop/cts and dogs flv test.flv:
    hasKeyframes: true
    cuePoints:
    audiodatarate: 56.325499464639
    hasVideo: true
    stereo: true
    canSeekToEnd: false
    framerate: 12
    audiosamplerate: 22000
    videocodecid: 2
    datasize: 6723573
    lasttimestamp: 202.667
    audiosamplesize: 16
    audiosize: 1512286
    hasAudio: true
    audiodelay: 0
    videosize: 5210381
    metadatadate: Wed Apr 30 15:57:30 GMT+0200 2008
    metadatacreator: inlet media FLVTool2 v1.0.6 - http://www.inlet-media.de/flvtool2
    lastkeyframetimestamp: 200
    height: 240
    filesize: 6764370
    hasMetadata: true
    keyframes:
    times:
    filepositions:
    audiocodecid: 2
    videodatarate: 204.616163460257
    duration: 202.75
    hasCuePoints: false
    width: 320
    Encoding completed on Wed Apr 30 15:57:31 CEST 2008
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the progression bar stops progressing at 1mn20secs wheras the movie goes on for more than 3min. The playback is fine, but time control after that 1min20 is not possible or at least hasardous given the fact that the cursor is stuck on the right of the timeline.
    I haven't been able to reproduce this error. Which FLV web player do you use? (I put my FLV files on the web along with the JW Media Player.)

When playing via vlc, if i try to fast forward i get the error message.
    VLC closes the playing file with an error for every FLV file that I try, so I guess that is just VLC's behavior with FLV files. Putting the FLV file on the web is a better test.

I was able to add meta tags to PAROLES_5.flv by using FLVTool2 outside of ffmpegX (from the Terminal), which afterwards allowed me to skip to any point in the 09:43 clip (in a web browser).
    Code:
    flvtool2 -UP movie.flv
    1. The longer/bigger the file, the longer this process takes, so be patient when it does not show its progress. It is finished when it shows the summary and the command line prompt again.
    2. In the command line, replace 'movie.flv' with the full path (or just drop the file onto the window, to let Mac OS fill in the path).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is an old post but in case anyone stumbles across now,... Usually seeking and fast forward failures, at least on a player directly from hard drive are caused by incorrect Metadata of Timecodes. Almost all the hundreds I download have this problem so I wrote a Windows program to fix that works on almost all the run of the mill FLV's that I download. I posted it at https://files.secureserver.net/0shnbBAMoffC1h . Its the beta version because I removed the older version so The explaination is pretty similar but it no longer launches a Dos window but incorporates it into the program. It always makes a copy so it always leaves original intact. It is ONLY designed to fix this Metadata, seek, fast forward, not play, etc. problem and will NOT fix an actual corrupted file. If your video plays ok but will not fast forward, give it a try.
    Thanks
    Budman1
    Last edited by Budman1; 26th Aug 2013 at 14:37. Reason: Updated link to Enhanced Beta Program
    Quote Quote