VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I got .stl subtitle files and now trying to edit it but I can't open it.
    I've tried with notepad, wordpad, VisualSubSync, SubtitleCreater bit didn't work.

Could anybody advise me?

Thank you in advance

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never heard of that format before, but according to filext, if it's subtitle related at all, it can be either a teletext file, or a Win2020 Screen Subtitle.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you already try to open them in Wordpad or Word?

Probably you have STL-files in the EBU-format (European Broadcast Union). The format is binary and is used for exchange with broadcast stations and/or subtitle labs. So, it is not a textbased (Spruce) STL. You can only open and edit them properly with professional subtitling software which, unfortunately, is not available as freeware (there are some demo-versions on the web, but they only allow you to open it).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you Lippy Lipstick for you infomation.

Now I'm afraid that my STL file is in the EBU format as you mentioned last post.

I've tried with Subtitle Workshop which support .stl format but still cannot open it.

Could you please tell me which software to open STL file if it's in binary format?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Umforrest,

Give it a try with the offline version of Belle Nuit Subtitler (http://www.belle-nuit.com/subtitler/index.html) or Lemony (www.jorgemorones.com/lemony/index.htm)
    Their demo-version only opens the file, but then you're sure it is EBU.
    Please note it takes some practice to use these programms...

Other professional subtitling programms with demo-versions:
    -Spot (www.spotsoftware.nl)
    -FAB (www.fab-online.com)
    -Tempo (www.cavena.com)
    -EZTitles (www.eztitles.com)

As told, I haven't found freeware yet that opens EBU-STL.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you very much Lippy Lipstick,

I'll try all softwares you recommend ^ ^

Have a good day.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Hi umforrest, despite it has been two years.. did you get it to work ? I have a .stl file I want to conver to .srt and finally hardcode on a video.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, guys ! Hello, "umforrest" ! The only professional television subtitling software, that I know, that can open .STL files is Starfish Isis. And this is coming after working 8 years as a professional television subtitling operator. You see, .STL is a rather nasty format. It is professional, that's why you couldn't open it with anything else.
    @Lippy Lipstick, I'm sorry, but in humble opinion, Spot, FAB, Tempo, nor EZTitles, are not professional television subtitling software. Indeed Win2020 is, Cavena Delight/Tempo/Cinetitle are, and as I've said Starfish Isis is.
    I'm curious if you've managed to open and edit that .STL
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a .stl file I want to convert it into .srt and finally hardcode on a video.
    Could you please tell me which software to open STL file.
    Thank You.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try SubtitleEdit - it should be able to convert .stl files to .srt
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for reply Nikse,
    But I want to read the EBU STL file through programming(either by VC++ or Java) and I have no idea about it.
    Could you please help me.
    Thank you again.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As EBUSTL file format consists of two blocks,one is General Subtitle Information(GSI) block and second is Text and Timing Information(TTI) block and I have read the GSI block correctly(in java) but there is a problem in reading the TTI block information as it contains some special characters which are from 850 code page.
    Could you please help me as I have no idea that how can I read these characters.
    Thank you.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	7447
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	13410  

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please find the attached file.
    Thank you.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	7347
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	13411  

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Pandy.
    I know these characters are from CODE PAGE 850 but I want to know that how can I read these characters through programming.
    Thank you again.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Oh... so You want to know how to write code to open file and parse this file - search for something like this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2307057/how-to-read-a-binary-file-in-c-video-images-or-text - i'm a not a programmer - sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot Pandy.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Hey everyone,

STL files are StereoLithography files, they are 3D objects, in my experience, I most often see them used for 3D printing. You can view them in programs like Replicator G or Makerware.

Those applications are both free, you will not be able to open them in any kind of text editing software.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    STL subtitles are used by dvd studio pro! michaelladt have you ever seen that some file extensions can be for different file types?
    Quote Quote