VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an mpg video file and would like to get it into DVD format that I can play on a regular DVD player. I have both Nero 6 and Ulead Moviefactory 2se. Nero doesn't recognize mpg files and Moviefactory fails to open it as well. The Moviefactory error says that the mpg is using AC3 audio and must be converted to use a compatible format. It seems Moviefactory is compatible with MPEG audio (MPA), WAV, MP3.

I've looked through the guides and did not see anything that specifically addresses my issue. I believe I must remove the audio from the mpg and save it as a separate file, then convert it and finally, put it back into the mpg file.

I have tried a couple of programs but have been unsuccessful so far. Can anyone suggest software (preferably freeware) that I might use to accomplish this task?

Thanks very much for any help, suggestions or guidance,

Brian
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use any of the demultiplexers in the tools section. There's about 10-20 for MPEG. Try TsMuxeR

Once you get your AC3 stream, you can encode your audio with any number of the free audio encoders in the tools section. There's about 10 that will work. Try Belight

You should be able to import elementary streams into your authoring application

An easier way would be just to use FAVC (free) for the whole thing (.mpg => DVD)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bmoret
    I have an mpg video file and would like to get it into DVD format that I can play on a regular DVD player. I have both Nero 6 and Ulead Moviefactory 2se. Nero doesn't recognize mpg files and Moviefactory fails to open it as well. The Moviefactory error says that the mpg is using AC3 audio and must be converted to use a compatible format. It seems Moviefactory is compatible with MPEG audio (MPA), WAV, MP3.
    Moviefactory is stupid, apparently. AC3 is standard for DVDs. You'll degrade the audio by multiple conversions otherwise.

I'd guess an MPEG with AC3 audio is a DVD rip, so it probably is already in a compatible format.
    (see https://www.videohelp.com/dvd for specs)
    If it is, you can simply use an authoring app like GuiforDVDauthor to produce the VOB fileset and then burn it.
    You may need to demux the MPEG to separate video and audio files first.
    ( https://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsearch=demux )
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your version of Moviefactory is ancient. Version 6 is current, I believe. I have version 6 and I can tell you that it will accept AC3 audio as input without converting. Perhaps it's time for you to upgrade.

I can't argue with AlanHK's thoughts on Moviefactory. I don't like it, but I got it specifically to test making HD DVD format discs on burnable DVD media (both single and double layer) from TV captures and it works for that. It has many drawbacks and although it is easy to use, it's not anything I'm real enthused about. With the death of HD DVD, I will probably be very unlikely to use it much in the future. I must warn you that if your source video is not at a DVD compliant resolution, Moviefactory will re-encode the video and that is VERY BAD. It's encoder sucks. If you are too cheap to upgrade Moviefactory, then the best option for you would be to convert your audio to WAV (no quality loss, but you'll go from 5.1 channels to stereo and lose surround sound) and have Moviefactory convert that back to AC3 - so stupid. Note that Moviefactory may not (not sure) allow you to input the audio from a separate file, so you may have to find something that will mux the video and audio together. MPEGVCR has a muxer that is not too fussy and might be able to give you a TS or MPG container that Moviefactory will take as input.
    Quote Quote