VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a French movie on DVD whose subtitles I extracted, edited, and remuxed and reauthored with the rest.

Now I would like to remove or shorten some scenes from the end result. If I use Adobe première to read the remuxed file, I get the video and audio, but not the subtitles.

I'd like to avoid having to edit the video and subtitles separately. So I'd like to make the subtitles a permanent part of the video file, in order to edit the whole thing in "one step."

If I said that clearly and someone understood what I meant...: what program, preferably free, should I use to do this?

Thank you very much.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    vobblanker or dvd shrink in the reauthoring mode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was not clear.

I already re-authored, using Shrink.

I need software to make the subtitles permanent. (Right now, through Shrink or VobBlanker, the subtitles remain optional.)

The idea is that if the subs are permanent, I can then cut scenes from the video, and the corresponding subs will be cut, too...
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I see. You can use autogk or fairuse wizard to convert to avi divx/xvid with burned in subtitles and then can you edit those. Or use virtualdubmod with the subtitle filter and convert to dv-avi.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot. Two questions, though:

1- what program do you use to edit in divx/xvid? (Would Premiere do?)

2- Can this be read by a DVD player, or will I have to re-convert in MPEG/VOB ?

Thank you again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think Baldrick's first response was to let you know that you could cut out parts using VobBlanker or DVD Shrink at the same time keeping the subtitles selectable.

Reencoding it with the subtitles burned just so you can then cut out pieces of the movie is a much inferior solution. Here's a guide to cutting using VobBlanker:

http://jsoto.posunplugged.com/guides/VobBlanker/prevcut/index.php
    1- what program do you use to edit in divx/xvid? (Would Premiere do?)
    I'd use VDubMod, as Baldrick suggested.
    2- Can this be read by a DVD player, or will I have to re-convert in MPEG/VOB ?
    Unless you have a DVD/MPEG-4 player it'll have to be converted yet again, back to DVD Video, making this method doubly inferior. It can be difficult to edit DVD Video, though, especially using freeware tools as you stipulated.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you.

By "inferior" and "doubly inferior," you mean that the process will degrade the result?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. It'll be degraded twice.

First, when you re-encode to have the subtitles burnt-in. That's the first quality hit (every re-encoding throws data out, to some extent).

Second, would be when you're re-encoding back to a DVD-Video format for authoring.

If you have a DivX/Xvid-capable player, though, as manono mentioned, you can just burn the subtitles into a DivX AVI in the first part, and not have to worry about converting it again back to DVD-Video just to make a DVD-Video disc.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there possibly is a way to do it in dvdshrink and not re-encode at all, but it will leave the subs selectable not hard coded. use the reauthor mode to cut out all the parts you want to save to separate folders. then reauthor all the saved parts back into one dvd.

never tried it with subs myself but it should work.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you.

Autogk won't let me use external subtitles unless I install WinRAR? Anyone knows what WinRAR has to do with this?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by kapital
    Autogk won't let me use external subtitles unless I install WinRAR? Anyone knows what WinRAR has to do with this?
    Yes. You're confused. In the Advanced Settings that "Use External Subtitles" check box is to keep the subs external, to be played alongside the video (not burned into the video or embedded in the video). WinRAR is necessary because the IDX/SUB format subs it gets from the DVD are fairly large (several MB, usually) and when compressed take up less space.

I think what you want is to burn the subs into the video. If you're using the subs that AutoGK extracts from the DVD then you don't want to check that "Use External Subs" box. If you're using subs from an external source (downloaded, or created/edited yourself, usually text based subs in SRT or SSA format), then use the CTRL-F8 trick to get them into the video. Here's a guide:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic316471.html

If, one way or the other, you're burning subs into the video, don't check that box.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I'll try that.
    Quote Quote