VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying encode/backup my "I am Legend" Blu-ray to my media center. I've searched around but didn't find this exact issue. Using the following process:

1. AnyDVD HD to rip (BD-R has the latest firmware)
    2. AVS file pointing to rip, looks like this:

DirectShowSource("D:\Convert\Legend\I_AM_LEGEND_NA \BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts",audio=false)

3. Virtualdub to open the AVS and convert it to XviD
    4. xport to demux first track (which is DD5.1, straight ac3)
    - have also tried demuxing the second track (TrueHD), then ac3to to convert but get the same result.
    5. VirtualDubMOD to mux it all back together.

The audio goes out of sync at the beginning of the movie by about -0.6 seconds, but by the end of the movie it's off by about -4 seconds.

I've tried several different settings in VdubMod, shorter interleave, etc... Also tried to use DGAVCDEC but it either couldn't find PID's, crashed, or just hung. I've done this process on several Blu-ray's and it's worked fine.

Any thoughts on how to get the audio in sync?

***** EDIT
    Problem was fixed by uninstall/reinstall of k-lite codec pack, solution at bottom
    Ansuer - "try not... do... or do not... there is no try"
    Quote Quote  
  2. Might be vfr stream. Try this:

DirectShowSource("D:\Convert\Legend\I_AM_LEGEND_NA \BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts",fps=23.976,convertfps=tru e)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ty for the response. I did try several different combinations in avs, including that one. Same result. 6 hours of encoding each time : )
    Quote Quote  
  4. Check the playtime lengths. Is the playtime length the same of video and audio in mediainfo? (it can't be if what you describe is true). I would use the video from "convertfps=true"

When you demux the audio using TsMuxeR, does the audio match the same playtime length as the one by xport? Maybe xport is causing the problem? TsMuxeR is frequently updated

Perhaps vdubmod is giving you the problem? What if you mux using avimux-gui instead of vdubmod? it is a better wrapper and vdubmod is quite old.

if you are just doing an XviD backup for PC, you can just change the fps of the video by a fraction so it matches the audio playtime length. Since it's just a tiny bit off, the other option is to shrink/expand the audio by the same fraction.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The playtimes show as identical:
    Video:
    PlayTime : 1h 40mn
    Audio:
    PlayTime : 1h 40mn

I tried to mux them together with avimux-gui into another avi but it crashed every time. I was able to mux them into mkv but the audio was still out of sync as before.

Also, by changing the framerate in vdubmod to 23.550 I was able to get the AV in sync for the first half of the movie, but it still strayed near the end. Of course the video chopped often anyway.

I'm trying this avs file again to see if I missed something before:

DirectShowSource("D:\Convert\Legend\I_AM_LEGEND_NA \BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts",fps=23.976,convertfps=tru e,audio=false)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sad to say I'm seeing the same result.

Completed an encode last night using that last AVS. Although the file size is a few k different everyting else was the same, framerate, duration, etc...

Was also able to use avimux_gui to mux it into both avi and mkv. Even tried altering the interleave for AVI which did nothing.

Any other thoughts? Has anyone encoded this video previously with success?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ansuer
    4. xport to demux first track (which is DD5.1, straight ac3)
    Have you tried to demux the audio with TSmuxeR?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ayep, at poisondeathray's suggestion I gave it a shot. I did a 'beyond compare' of the new and old ac3 and they were identical. I've been using the new demuxed (though for no good reason). : )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any A/V sync issues when you play back the m2ts file?
    I'd re-rip the whole disc again and give it another try. I'm out of other ideas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never had much luck with xport - try eac3to instead.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I figured out what's causing the problem, but not yet how to fix it. It must be something with the AVS file.

If I watch the M2TS file the audio is fine. Most of all the video runs the entire time, all the way to 1:40:30. The last thing you see is end of the credits then the WB symbol.

If I watch any of my encoded AVI's the video ends right at 1:39:05. which is also the end of the credits and the WB symbol. Then the remainder of the video is just black screen up to 1:40:30.

So, it must have something to do with AVISynth or someone behind it, like Haali or ffdshow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What happens if you don't specify the fps in the .avs file and let it on automatic detection? Did you use VDubMod or VirtualDub to encode the video? Give a try to meGUI too and see how it encodes the video.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Suggested desperation move:

--> add "framecount=nnnnnn" to your "DirectShowSource()";

--> use CoreAVC instead of ffdshow;

HTH.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have recently noticed one thing. If I open the AVS file (the one with no framerate set) with VirtualDub it shows 142478 total frames in the 1:40:31 time. However, if I open the encoded AVI it has 144613 in same 1:40:31 time. Somehow it's gaining a couple thousand frames.

@GeeForce11 - I've tried it before without the framerate and saw the same issue.

@Midzuki - I'll try the framecount setting tonight, though, I feel it's something with VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did a conversion with the framecount setting last night. The video time just shrunk to fit the new frames, but the audio still didn't match.

I also did a conversion today with x264.exe to mkv, same issue, so it's definitly something with my codecs or avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last night I uninstalled my k-lite codec pack and re-installed. I noticed that when the conversion started only haali appeared in the task bar, ffdshow did not. So, for some unknown reason ffdshow was causing the issue and by re-installing it was taken out of the path.

Video now runs the full 1:40:31 and audio in sync.

Thanks again to everyone for your patience and ideas!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Many many thanks for sharing your experience.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad you got to end of it!

Originally Posted by Ansuer
    Last night I uninstalled my k-lite codec pack and re-installed.
    I use the Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP) and never see FFdshow icon in the taskbar during conversion, only 2x the haali splitter.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    GeeForce11 wrote:
    I use the Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP) and never see FFdshow icon in the taskbar during conversion, only 2x the haali splitter.
    Aren't you talking about this:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have the icons disabled, they show up when a file is played back, but it doesn't show up during conversion and it looks that it's not supposed to.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [ N e v e r m i n d ]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You two are a crackin me up : )

Looks like my tray icons are enabled as well. I use ffdshow rotten for playback but this is the first I've seen it come into play for conversion. I probably checked something stupid the last time I installed it.
    Quote Quote