VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Been trying to get this to work for a week. Using Handbrake to rip from DVD to m4v. Selecting AC3 gives me video but no sound. I have my computer hooked up to my receiver via Toslink optical cable.

The Windows setting window for my SPDIF looks like this:

When I test 48KHz, it doesn't work. When I play a DVD, it does show surround sound. Isn't that a contradiction, if SPDIF runs at 48KHz?

Anyways, I switched over to AAC to test whether 44.1 KHz would work (since I can't change sample rate of AC3 in Handbrake). Ripped the first chapter of the DVD with these settings:

I get surround sound (or at least, the Dolby Digital indicator lights up on my receiver). I then change only the sample rate to 48KHz. When I play that file, I only get 2-channel sound and it's a bit quieter.

So what the heck is going on? I am really stumped.
    Jeremy Hodgkins
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [ e d i t ]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using AutoGK, I created an avi with the AC3. I get sound, but it's 2-channel. So it's not just an m4v problem...
    Jeremy Hodgkins
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MP4 containers don't permit AC3 audio, so that's probably why that isn't working.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For every five people that tell me that, I hear five others that have it working. But anyways, I have the same problem with avi's. So it's not limited to format for me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greets,

Why not try the MKV container? It fully supports H264 and AC3. Says you are running Vista, give AutoMKV a try if you have not already. I use it and love it.

Believe I may be doing the same as yourself in playing my vids over a tv and home sound system via computer. Except that I am using a SB Audigy 2 ZS and a digi coax via SPDIF.

Unless your receiver can specifically decode AAC like it can DD you will not get the full 5.1+ / Surround / Pro Logic / etc. I went through almost the exact same things you are going through about a month ago. What you are probably hearing is the PCM audio and not DD. Nero Digital AAC is not the same as Dolby Digital.

Soopafresh is correct in that MP4 containers do not officially support AC3. Don't believe us? Look up the formal specs - I did . That is the main reason I went to MKV instead. It is also a much more versitile container than the popular MP4. Why MP4 chose to support AAC and not AC3 as well is beyond me. Considering most every decent home sound systems already have a DD decoder built in. As well as the fact that every commercial DVD and HiDef / BR disc on the planet comes with AC3 and not AAC.

Please steer clear of H264 in AVI containers. You are only asking for trouble there. It is an old container not designed for H264. If you wish to use modern codecs it is wise to use modern containers that will properly support them. Good luck on your project.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    RickA,

OK. Finally had time to try AutoMKV. Program worked fine, took some time, but oh well.

Great picture. BUT! Audio is still 2-channel and quieter.

So this is now the third format I've tried (M4V/MP4, AVI, MKV) and the only thing that has gotten surround sound is 44.1 KHz AAC. I guess the only thing left to try is somehow turn 48KHz AC3 into 44.1KHz AC3 and see what happens.

Seriously, this is driving me crazy!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Why don't you just rip the 5.1 AC3 audio from the DVD and mux it into the .mkv container (with mkvmergegui)?

Isn't that the goal - keeping 6 channel audio?

If you're set on converting it to 5.1 AAC for whatever reason, use Besweet/Belight or MeGUI's audio portion (based on BeHappy). All need to be configured properly to work (with neroaacenc.exe)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Glad AutoMKV worked part way for you. Most odd still about your continued audio problem. I just use keep original audio setting. Seem to remember having probs when I was trying MeGUI and attempting to reduce the size of the audio to a lower bitrate.

I do remember the audio coming out faint and just two channels when I was trying AAC. My Onkyo only handles DD and it was showing that as PCM input.

What about trying a different video player. I like KMPlayer, it has audio settings in it and also has one for SPDIF out. Maybe something in your player is messing with your audio signal out. If you are running ffdshow check your audio settings to see that the mixer is not set to 2 channel out or something. Think I set mine to same in same out.

Try MediaInfo on your mkv file to verify your audio is correct. Will try to think of some more ideas later. Good luck.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MediaInfo shows 6 channel AC3 @ 48KHz. I'm enclosing GraphEdit's rendering:

I played the file in VLC. The Dolby Digital indicator lights up, but the sound stutters really badly.
    Jeremy Hodgkins
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, here goes a not-so-stupid suggestion:

How about unchecking "µ§oft WMA Pro" in the SPDIF applet and
    see if that makes a difference
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM

Now why the he-- would that work?!?!?

Sound still stutters in VLC, but it works perfectly in WMP! Thanks for the very-not-so-stupid suggestion!!!
    Jeremy Hodgkins
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sound still stutters in VLC, but it works perfectly in WMP!

Now why the he-- would that work?!?!?
    Many things inside or around a computer
    really appear to make no sense at all.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greets,

I just thought of something that may help. Do you have the program AC3Filter installed? If not I suggest you install it. If so I suggest you double check it's settings. Make sure it says SPDIF out, source same as input, blah blah you know the drill by now. I just did a clean re-install on my HTPC system and could not get AC3 DD digi out properly until I installed AC3Filter. Good luck.

Cheers,
    Rick

Sent you a PM too just in case you are no longer following the thread.
    Rene: Could you not just wound him a little bit?
    Hans: Well now, with a 25 pound shell that is not easy.

'Allo 'Allo
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Midzuki's idea of unchecking "µ§oft WMA Pro" in the SPDIF applet did the trick. I do have AC3Filter installed.
    Jeremy Hodgkins
    Quote Quote