VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey, we've just purchased a Nikon Coolpix P5100, and the output format of the video files is .avi, but I'm not sure what codec or anything like that. And Windows Media Player won't play them. I've installed some K-Lite codes (ok, let the flaming begin), and it still won't play them, I can only play them in media player classic, or others like vnc. I wouldn't really care, but we sometimes share these photos with others, so we know others can't view them either. And I would like to encode them to wmv or something really simple so others can view them on their computers.

I can find a tool to do the encoding, but is there some codec I need to get say, Windows Movie Maker to recognize them?
    :cool: Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes. :cool:
    Quote Quote  
  2. Quite often, such cameras use an MJPEG compression scheme. AVI files use a four character code (FourCC) to identify the compression format and "MJPG" is commonly used for MJPEG. However, some cameras use a custom code - e.g., CJPG for Canon. All that's need is a quick registry hack.

You need to find out what FourCC is being used. GSpot should tell you that. Alternatively, a crude but effective way is to open the AVI file in Notepad (with word wrap on). The FourCC occurs near the start so there's nothing to wade through.

If you do it this way, you can post a screenshot of what Notepad is showing and I can work out the FourCC.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My new Nikon P60 digital camera outputs MJPEG with PCM audio. It opens fine with Window Movie Maker or VirtualDub.

BTW, it takes a really, really long time to display the text of a MJPEG with Notepad, even with a 37 second video (27MB).

RIFFAVI LIST$ hdrlavih8 j    ,     LISTt strlstrh8 vidsmjpg j @B ,  ' strf( (     MJPG  LIST\ strlstrh8 auds  @  } '  strf   @ @   LIST
    ncdtncvr   NIKON    nctgT   NIKON  COOLPIX P60   V1.00   NIKON DIGITAL CAMERA       }  $

%

H    H       2008:04:22 23:11:59   2008:04:22 23:11:59     ,       AF-S       d d       COLOR   AUTO   NORMAL  OFF nctht  

",%!*!&4'*./121%6:60:,110
     0  00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000   

} !1AQa"q2#BR$3br
    %&'()*456789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvwxyz   w !1AQaq"2B #3Rbr
    $4%&'()*56789:CDEFGHIJSTUVWXYZcdefghijstuvw xyz  x !    ? Jž:R`R+J)ZR) ږu bDJuRcAN)RHpKH-ý5Z SӐ Mo/Z9t
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    edit
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Quite often, such cameras use an MJPEG compression scheme. AVI files use a four character code (FourCC) to identify the compression format and "MJPG" is commonly used for MJPEG. However, some cameras use a custom code - e.g., CJPG for Canon. All that's need is a quick registry hack.

You need to find out what FourCC is being used. GSpot should tell you that. Alternatively, a crude but effective way is to open the AVI file in Notepad (with word wrap on). The FourCC occurs near the start so there's nothing to wade through.

If you do it this way, you can post a screenshot of what Notepad is showing and I can work out the FourCC.
    Thanks, I'll have to check that out. Either way I'm screwed. My wife likes to send out these videos to family and friends, and now we'll have to do some encoding before we do that. Or stick em up on youtube or something. This sucks. Unless if anyone knows of a nice little converter that I can set to watch a folder, and automatically conver the files for me? I've got a nice app called MCEBuddy doing that on my MCE server, but only works with DVR-MS files.
    :cool: Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes. :cool:
    Quote Quote  
  6. Have you tried using AVS Video Converter? You should be able to download it from their website (http://www.avs4you.com/)

Good luck!

O.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Oraglo, You also can DL it through our website as it is listed. You could have found that with a search or checking our 'Tools' section. Just a bit of advice, digging up old topics to post in is not proper 'netiquette' here.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote