VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got a little problem that is out of my experience but I know someone here will give the definitive answer. Currently with a friend in France who has been successfully making video using an elderly Sony MiniDV camcorder, Firewire card and Ulead Video Studio. Everything works fine. However, he has just acquired a Sony HDR-HC1E and wants to use that instead. Plugging it into his Firewire card and switching it on in player mode results in nothing. It is not detected.

I have tried WinDV, changing the output on the camcorder to HDV-DV at 576i but it is still not recognised. The camcorder is known to work as his son transferred some footage to a Mac a couple of weeks ago and the Firewire port in the computer works with the MiniDV camcorder.

What have I missed?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what are you using to cap hdv?
    try setting the device in it
    windv doesn't cap hdv
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you might want to try capturing with HDVSplit for HDv
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDV camcorder operate and tranfer in several modes. Consult the camcorder manual for menu settings.

HDV record, HDV transfer - This requires HDV capable software. Use HDVsplit as a free option.

HDV record, DV downscale for transfer. - The camera settings must be exact. This should transfer as DV. Use WinDV.

DV record, DV transfer - The camera settings must be exact. This will transfer as DV. Use WinDV.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. VLC can do it (I have an HC1 and it worked fine).
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK; thanks for the answers so far. At least I now know that WinDV SHOULD be able to do it and just have to figure out why it isn't. He doesn't want to transfer as HDV, only as standard DV so HDVSplit would be of no use.

Ed, you mention that the camcorder settings must be exact and this is where we run into problems. As I originally said, he has acquired the camcorder and has no manual. Anyone know what settings need to be changed? The camcorder is known to work with a Mac when used by his son (who is now living in LA) and the Firewire in his computer works fine with his existing MiniDV camcorder. It is just that we cannot get the computer to acknowledge the camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The manual can be downloaded here. Menus differ by model.
    http://support.sony-europe.com/dime/camcorders/dvh/dvh.aspx?l=en&m=HDR-HC1E
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. What are your current settings? I have the NTSC version and it worked fine in DV mode. I can have a fiddle later today with my one to confirm the settings.

You may find the following DV troubleshooting info helpful to pinpoint the problem:

http://www.enosoft.net/products/enodvproc/help/htm/_troubleshootingdvdeviceconnectivity.htm
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've had a play with my HC1 and here's what I found:

Code:
    1. Turn on camcorder

2. Full reset - HDV1080i (optional - just to be sure I didn't have any odd settings)

3. Load DV tape

4. Connect FireWire

- Windows detects as HDV camcorder ("Sony HDR-HC1" in GraphEdit)

5. Start playing tape - camcorder shows DV (just a second or two is needed)

6. Stop tape

7. Disconnect/reconnect FireWire

8. Turn on camcorder

- Windows now sees DV and can capture tape ("Microsoft DV Camera and VCR" in GraphEdit)
    Basically, no need to change any settings if they are set to the defaults.

EDIT - Oops - forgot to take out step 8 (I orginally had a turn off/turn on sequence but it isn't necessary. It was late...
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how are you capping HDV with vlc?
    some plugin?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Here are the steps:

Select Open Capture Device...

In the Open... dialog, click Refresh list (otherwise you won't see the camcorder listed). Select your camcorder from the list (it will have a generic name as shown below). Check [x] Stream/Save. Click Settings...

Check [x] File for Outputs and choose your Encapsulation Method ( (.) MPEG TS etc. ) Click Browse... to specify the file name and location.

Click Save to close the file dialog. Click OK to close the Stream output dialog. Click OK to close the Open... dialog.

Capture will start at this point without much indication other than the pause button showing:

But you can monitor the progress via Windows Explorer - the file size will refresh every second or so:

Press the Stop button in VLC to end capture and close VLC. If you open the file to look at it straight after capturing without closing VLC, it will erase the file.

I like using VLC for capture because you can also see the live video in full resolution. I have Vegas but it limits the resolution to 320 x 240 or something like that. Not much use if you are trying to set the focus on an HD source.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't refresh...
    you also have to add the extension .m2t
    it's nice to be able to choose ts or ps...ulead caps in ps and sony in ts
    thx...maybe you could add that to the guides here

I wonder what happened to the OP?
    Broken cam perhaps?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, you're absolutely right, it appears the Firewire port on the cam is shot. No matter what we do the computer will not recognise the HC1E. We've got a workaround though. His original camcorder, a Sony PC3E, has a faulty mic so does not record sound. The HC1E can be set to record in DV mode and the tape then played back and transferred to the computer using the PC3E.

It's a bodge but he doesn't want HD, just video with sound so this does the job. By the way, sorry for not updating sooner but as he's in France and I'm currently there too, you would not believe how difficult it is using a French AZERTY keyboard when you are used to an English QWERTY one!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by zoobie
    thx...maybe you could add that to the guides here
    I've created a web-based version and have submitted it for listing. The guide itself is at:

http://www.enosoft.net/VLCHDVCap/How-To.htm

John.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote