VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK so here's the problem:

I have a Samsung LNA330 32" LCD TV hooked up to a Philips DVD player, DVP5982. Both are brand new (3 weeks old). I have the player hooked up to my TV using an HDMI cable. I played a DVD yesterday and all of a sudden there was picture but no sound. My TV has 2 HDMI ports and I tried both ports. Again, picture but no sound. I then tried plugging in regular video cables from the DVD player to the TV and the DVD played OK, with sound and video (I tried multiple DVDs, same problem).

So by now I don't think it's the DVD player suddenly crapping out on me since DVDs play fine with regular video cables. I'm hoping that the HDMI ports on my TV didn't suddenly crap out either (but I doubt it, brand new TV, and what are the chances of BOTH HDMI ports failing, right?) So the next idea of course is that the HDMI cable is faulty. I bought these cheap cables here off Amazon, because I heard that cheap cables were still OK:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009S5HQA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm thinking it may just be that the cable has failed, even after only 2 weeks of use. I tried plugging in different ends of the cable, different ports, same result. The next thing I need to try is to borrow an HDMI cable from someone, and if that cable works fine with my TV, then I know I just need to buy another cable.

Trying with a different cable is the only thing I can think of. Any other ideas? The TV and the DVD player are brand new, I really HOPE it's not them. thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure the DVD player menus are set for audio over HDMI and not the S/PDIF port?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same Philips player. It seems that whenever I turn off the tv first, the player turns off the HDMI output. When I turn it back on, I have to go back to the player settings and reset the HDMI output from off to on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It seems that some devices with HDMI output do some "automatic detection" of the whether or not the HDMI output is being used, and may switch audio outputs on or off accordingly.
    My cable company Scientific Atlanta DVR used to always turn off my optical audio (S/PDIF) whenever it detected that its HDMI output was being consumed. This prevented me from using an HDMI cable until a firmware update was released to allow the continuous audio output through the optical connector.
    I would hope that the Philips DVD player would also have a firmware update, either now or soon, that will allow the persistence of the audio output connector selection.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    indeed, I did check all the audio settings and made sure that HDMI sound is turned to "On" and etc etc. All settings are OK, on both the DVD and TV players. But still no sound. I even did a firmware upgrade, but didn't realize until later that my DVD player already had the latest firmware upgrade since I just bought a few weeks ago. So again, all settings on the TV and DVD player seem to be set for HDMI, but still no sound.

Right here is troubleshooting for the DVP5982:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=DVP5982/37&scy=US&slg=en#

There are links in the Sound section that would have helped me, but I tried this and still no fix. So now I'm really thinking it may be a faulty HDMI cable, unless anyone else has ideas. thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a $12 HDMI cable online once, and it wouldn't work unless I wiggled it. So there may be such a thing as spending too little on an HDMI cable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by berndawg84
    indeed, I did check all the audio settings and made sure that HDMI sound is turned to "On" and etc etc. All settings are OK, on both the DVD and TV players. But still no sound. I even did a firmware upgrade, but didn't realize until later that my DVD player already had the latest firmware upgrade since I just bought a few weeks ago. So again, all settings on the TV and DVD player seem to be set for HDMI, but still no sound.

Right here is troubleshooting for the DVP5982:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=DVP5982/37&scy=US&slg=en#

There are links in the Sound section that would have helped me, but I tried this and still no fix. So now I'm really thinking it may be a faulty HDMI cable, unless anyone else has ideas. thanks
    Have you called Philips Support?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did they ever fix the HDMI sound being turned off automatically?

My parents (non-technical) have the same DVD player and I've been over several times at night to turn the HDMI sound back on. It only has 1 connection (the HDMI) cable. My parents can't ever remember what to do in the setup menu. As a matter of fact, last night he turned on the password on accident. I finally found the default pw and was able to get back in. It is a real pain that it keeps turning the HDMI off!!!!!

I have no idea what firmware they have, but I found this thread and feel bad now because I thought they were somehow turning on off everytime!

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, you can hook up your HDMI cable from your DVD / HD recorder to recored any purchased, or descrambled signal to your HD TV, but you MUST first unhook the cable connection from your cable box and your HD TV first. Please follow the following steps to be sure.... Most newer TV's sold today will pick up duplicate signals and not allow due to various security issues.

Step 1 - (optional, if you want to recored Pay Per View and Such) Buy a Red DVD Pro from http://www.xdimax.com/dvd/dvdredpro.html

Step 2 - Hook your cable boxs' Video cable RCA (yellow) to the Red DVD Pro (this will strip off any secutiry and such) to the input video of the DVD / HD recorder. You can use any other stripper / stabalizer you have, that is RCA type.

Step 3 - Hook your left and right RCA to your input Left and Right on your DVD / HD recorder from your Cable box.

Step 4 - Turn everything off.

Step 5 - Unhook your cable HDMI cable from your cable box to your HD TV.

Step 6- Hook your HDMI cable from your HD / DVD recorder to your HDTV.

Step 7- Turn everything back on...

Step 8- You should be able to view your cable box through your DVD / HD recorder on your HD TV and also have all the HDMI options on your DVD / HD recorder. You will need to make sure you have your DVD / HD recorder set to the proper channel of the input of the RCA jacks you just set up.

Step 9 - turn cable box back on and set to any channel you can legally view and record anything you can view on your TV, OOH RAH....

you can figure out the rest....

Enjoy,
    elKirko
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure you Blu Ray Player's settings is not muted. Go into settings on your blu ray player and make SURE....
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, you can hook up your HDMI cable from your DVD / HD recorder to recored any purchased, or descrambled signal to your HD TV, but you MUST first unhook the cable connection from your cable box and your HD TV first. Please follow the following steps to be sure.... Most newer TV's sold today will pick up duplicate signals and not allow due to various security issues.

Step 1 - (optional, if you want to recored Pay Per View and Such) Buy a Red DVD Pro from http://www.xdimax.com/dvd/dvdredpro.html

Step 2 - Hook your cable boxs' Video cable RCA (yellow) to the Red DVD Pro (this will strip off any secutiry and such) to the input video of the DVD / HD recorder. You can use any other stripper / stabalizer you have, that is RCA type.

Step 3 - Hook your left and right RCA to your input Left and Right on your DVD / HD recorder from your Cable box.

Step 4 - Turn everything off.

Step 5 - Unhook your cable HDMI cable from your cable box to your HD TV.

Step 6- Hook your HDMI cable from your HD / DVD recorder to your HDTV.

Step 7- Turn everything back on...

Step 8- You should be able to view your cable box through your DVD / HD recorder on your HD TV and also have all the HDMI options on your DVD / HD recorder. You will need to make sure you have your DVD / HD recorder set to the proper channel of the input of the RCA jacks you just set up.

Step 9 - turn cable box back on and set to any channel you can legally view and record anything you can view on your TV, OOH RAH....

you can figure out the rest....

Enjoy,
    elKirko
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A 7-month old thread has been hijacked for SPAM purposes. Disregard the Kirissa posts. Administrators, I leave the rest to you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. PLEASE help, i have the same problem, i bought a panasonic DMP-BD60 and have tried it on 2 HDTV and i still get no sound through the HDMI cord, when i play the same disk through AV (red, white, Yellow) it works fine, tried everything that every fourm has recomended, i dont the player is stuffed, but i maybe wrong. can some wizard out there help me out.
    Quote Quote