VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just went to Philips website and found this player, which according to their downloadable leaflet, has USB 2.0 feature that is specifically designed to play move, music or photo. I don't think Philips ever officially endorsed video play thru USB in other models like DVP5960 or DVP5982 so is this one we've been truly waiting for? The one true multi media server-player that can play anything from an external hard drive? This must be so new because I couldn't find any info. on Google except on the Philips website. Just thought I'd like to share this info with all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No one has any comments or additional info on this player? I guess it's really NEW.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I own the 5982 I use the USB 90% of the time for watching movies with no issues at all. i don't see any major benefit for me at this point

PS.on how many sites did u post this info? so far i found 2
    Quote Quote  
  4. Picture/Display
    D/A converter 12 bit, 108 MHz
    Picture enhancement Progressive Scan , High Def (720p, 1080i, 1080p) , Video Upscaling(720p, 1080i/p)

Sound
    D/A converter 24 bit, 192 kHz
    Signal to noise ratio > 90 dB
    Distortion and Noise (1kHz) > 65 dB
    Crosstalk (1kHz) > 70 dB
    Dynamic Range (1kHz) > 80 dB
    Sound System Dolby Digital
    Frequency response 30-20000 Hz

Video Playback
    Playback Media CD , CD-R/CD-RW , Video CD/SVCD , DVD , DivX , DVD+R/+RW , DVD-R/-RW , DVD-Video
    Compression formats MPEG1 , MPEG2 , DivX 3.11 , DivX 4.x , DivX 5.x , DivX 6.0 , DivX Ultra , WMV
    Video disc playback system PAL , NTSC

Audio Playback
    Playback Media CD , MP3-CD , MP3-DVD , CD-R/RW , WMA-CD , Audio CD
    Compression format Dolby Digital , MP3 , PCM , WMA
    MP3 bit rates 32 - 320 kbps
    Quote Quote  
  5. This player can support WMV files which is a big improvement, but the manual do not mention that it will support idx/sub subtitle. Gain something but lose something
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I posted to 3 sites (here, AVSforum and Afterdawn) so I can get some info. from other members who may have some insider knowledge on this player. I think the main advantage is that this player is eqipped with USB 2.0 and has "potential" to eliminate jerky video problem that my 5960 and possibly 5982 has when feeding high bit video via USB 1.1 from an external drive. That to me is a huge plus and worth replacing. My PS3 does have USB 2.0 so it has no jerky motion issues but it doesn't read DviX files as well as my trusty DVP5960.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't think they would take out any type of subtitles. They do take out some features & add new ones.

Best divx player for me is still an xbox.
    Quote Quote  
  8. No DTS?
    Quote Quote  
  9. When I can walk into my local B&M store to buy I'll be all over this one. USB2 & WMV. Good. Sad to say however I'd bet it still has the same garbage remote hwever
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Who cares about the remote? Use a universal remote, works ten times better than the crappy one it comes with.

I can't wait for this player, I have the DVP5982 and love it, but the WMV and USB 3.0 is a major upgrade on my end. What's the planned release date?
    Quote Quote  
  11. USB 2.0 and WMV support are in the DVP5990. It is out for a while now. I bought mine at Best Buy. Better remote too.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then what's the difference with 5992? if it has the same features and probably less money.

Bestbuy doesn't mention it plays WMV and it's on backorder.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8701844&productCategoryId=abcat0102005&t...#productdetail
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by somebodeez
    No DTS?
    That is odd but the 5990 doesn't have a DTS decoder either.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by agidol
    I posted to 3 sites (here, AVSforum and Afterdawn) so I can get some info. from other members who may have some insider knowledge on this player. I think the main advantage is that this player is eqipped with USB 2.0 and has "potential" to eliminate jerky video problem that my 5960 and possibly 5982 has when feeding high bit video via USB 1.1 from an external drive. That to me is a huge plus and worth replacing. My PS3 does have USB 2.0 so it has no jerky motion issues but it doesn't read DviX files as well as my trusty DVP5960.
    That would only be true if the 5990/5992 uses the mediatek 1389xx chipset. If not, then I think that Oppo is still the way to go because it has both the mediatek chipset and USB 2.0 support.

I have not yet seen anyone confirm that the 5990/5992 has the mediatek chipset.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I bought the 5992 at Costco yesterday. I realize the primary reason for the player is upconverting DVDs, but I am also interested in using the USB port for jpeg images on a flash drive. When jpegs are viewed from the USB port, the player insists on switching to 1080i mode (although DVDs are displayed at 1080p). The jpeg image quality if mediocre at best while the photos when displayed from the TV's USB port are stunning.

Does anyone know how displaying a picture at 1080i mode works? I'm not sure if the display is showing 1080 unique lines or 540 lines with each line doubled to make 1080. For whatever reason, the images are noticably worse than when I plug my flash drive directly into the TV. However, I don't like my TV's USB port because it is terribly slow (15 seconds loading a 6 meg pixel from flash versus 5 seconds for the 5992).

P.S.: No, I will not open it to look at the chip!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought the 5992 wasn't out yet.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Also a possibility that the 5992 is the Costco version of the 5990.

Many big chains have the same hardware with a different model number to avoid price matching someone else.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by mikeeve

P.S.: No, I will not open it to look at the chip!
    Not even if I give you a cookie? We must know what chip they use for the sake of videophiles everywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I bought one from walmart today.finally I can use my WD Passport 250.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a quick note. I was able to flash the 5992 using the latest firmware of the 5990. So now my 5992 is running firmware 37.08.51.27 of the 5990. So far, everything looks and feel the same.

I'm beginning to think that there is no real difference between the 2 players, and that perhaps the only difference is that the 5992 has "better USB 2.0" support.

Go ahead and try the firmware yourself if you bought yours from Costco. If it fails, just return it.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a question. Anyone try to play WMV HD content with 5592, like those can be download from here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx
    Is it able to play those wmvs?
    Quote Quote  
  22. No support for HD thus no sense trying. All you'll do is get the unsupported resolution error message.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see. Thank you for the explanation TBoneit.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Beware the USb port may be 2.0 compatible but may only transfer @ 1.1 speeds. this is the case with some other philips models.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Note that the box does not say USB 2 compatible it says USB 2.

My informal testing shows that the USB port on the 5990 is much faster than the 5960 and 5982 USB ports.

Video that would stutter on the older models plays smoothly on the 5990 and the FF/FRev work much smoother than the older models too.

In summary I believe Philips when they say USB 2 for the 5990.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One question about those Philips DVD players:
    do they play DviX files in HD format, like 720p or 1080p? Up to now I was not able to find out a standalone player that does that!
    Quote Quote  
  27. No support for HD.

From Above "No support for HD thus no sense trying. All you'll do is get the unsupported resolution error message. "

OTOH supported resoultion which go no higher than DVD specs look pretty good when the 5990 which is what I have upconverts.

There are players around however they are more of a Add your own hard drive type of thing.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bad new... then., which kind of hardware can play a 1280X720 movie, in somewhat format: DVD player (seems not), Xbox, PS3 or any other? Otherwise, to have a HD output it's better to set up a Home Theater PC ?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everybody,

I just purchased a Philips DVP5990/37. Everthing works great, except for the subtitle, which is really hard to read. I tried to change the font via the Setup->Preferences->DIVX Sub, but there seems to be only one selection ("Standard").

Does anybody have any idea how to change the font, or a way to make the sub title more readable? BTW, I'm playing the movies in DVD format (VTS) from my hard drive.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    You can't do this with the player settings. You might want to wander over to the subtitle forum and check into adding custom subs to a dvd or divx file, that sounds like what you want to do.
    Quote Quote