VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    One of the things that occasionally irritates me about scheduling the recording of TV shows on my DVR is the sometimes "off-schedule" start times of TV shows, usually during NFL football season.
    Don't get me wrong, I like football.
    It's just that when I have a TV show scheduled to record during the evening after an NFL football game (usually the later game), it rarely, if ever, starts at the scheduled time. If I happen to remember or notice that my recording is scheduled after such a game, I also schedule the show following the show I want to record, so that I have a chance to actually record the entire show.
    Does anyone know if digital broadcasts will have "ID" tags that DVRs could use to identify the beginning and/or end of a show to help with DVR recording? This way, perhaps the DVR could start and stop recording at the actual start/end time of the show. Maybe this feature is already planned in future DVRs?
    Maybe they already have these flags, but the DVRs are not using them.
    Just curious.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They certainly don't over here, and our shows often start 10 - 15 minutes off schedule simply to stop you changing to another channel. Even pre-recorded crap like the US So You Think You Can Ponce surprisingly runs "over time". How the hell does a pre-recorded show run over time ?

Get used to recording 15 minutes before and 15 minutes after and then trimming it down.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess a pre-recorded show could run overtime by inserting more commercials into it.
    Shows here in the US never start early, but sometimes start late because of a preceding "live" broadcast, usually a sporting event. Like I said, if I know that a sporting event precedes the show I am trying to record, I also schedule the following show to record, in an attempt to capture the entire show.
    It seems like it should be possible for the networks to provide a digital method of identifying a show, and then the DVR could check at the scheduled time, and if the scheduled show is not currently starting or already running, it could either continuously monitor the channel for a pre-determined amount of time, or check every 30 seconds for a pre-determined length of time until the scheduled show begins, and then start recording.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only logical solution to your problem is by upgrading your DVR with a huge hard disk, this way you will be able to record a whole day of TV programming, allowing you to store your beloved TV show in the process.

Unfortunately, sports in general are not subject to a specific hour, some players do stupid things like breaking a leg, or just don't allow the other team to win, effectively extending the game or making it shorter, this of course will affect the next scheduled program.
    No tengo miedo a la muerte. Solo significa soņar en silencio. Un sueņo que perdura por siempre. ..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is certainly possible for them to do this, and also to identify when commercial breaks begin and end. They simply have no interest in providing such a service. They are still pissed off that you are allow to record their broadcasts in the first place.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greets,

I think it could easily be possible for them to do something like that. Add ID tags to the shows just like with streaming radio and songs. Yet seeing all the time and energy they put into preventing us from recording what we would like, or dumping commercials from what we have recorded. Sadly, I just don't see them making that any easier for us.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Rene: Could you not just wound him a little bit?
    Hans: Well now, with a 25 pound shell that is not easy.

'Allo 'Allo
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ebenton
    . Shows here in the US never start early, but sometimes start late because of a preceding "live" broadcast, usually a sporting event.
    Doesn't have to be sports, either. PBS stations are notorious for having what I'd call "suggested" start / end times on some programming, especially during their regular "pledge" week beg-a-thons. I've gotten burned by those many times, or by incorrect movie running times on cable, or network programs that run a bit longer than they told you, so that the ending gets chopped off. I try to automatically pad by +/- 1 or 2 minutes (more like 5 minutes for movies), because I'm lazy and would rather not have to redo the Title (IF it was broadcast in the first place), but in some cases this was not enough.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot about the PBS beg-a-thons. I never try to record those. Too unpredictable, plus I would hate to have to watch the begging portions over again later.

I just hope that some day the broadcasters start putting some ID tags on the programs, and the DVR makers start putting some firmware into the DVR's to use the ID tags.

However, I had not really thought about the other factor brought up here by others, that the broadcasters probably won't do this because they resent us viewers being able to record their stuff at all.
    Maybe things will change one day.

And maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Strangely enough, some UK broadcasters were experimenting with a "record start" type signal to overcome late program starts, but only on analogue TV!
    My DVD recorder has this feature, but only for the analogue tuner that I never use, so I can't say how well it works.
    Quote Quote  
  10. yeah its called PDC programme delivery control or program deliva rhee Contwol
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still miss VPS.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote