VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, everybody!

I have a video file, it has black borders on top and bottom of the screen and I'd like to know if there is an way to crop that black borders without reencoding.

Any solution using VirtualDub, VirtualDubMod or AviDemux. I don't like to use AviSynth, well, I don't like to program a video file, write lines, you know. :P

Or some way to crop that black borders without losing the quality of the video file.

The video file has 544x320 of resolution, xVid codec and mp3 audio and I will crop it to 544x226.

Thanx and my best regards. []'s
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You'll have to reencode to crop the file. You could probably crop while watching it using VLC player, but that doesn't crop the file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try MPEG Streamclip. Might be possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not possible with any software. If you crop or alter the resolution, you have to re-encode.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by BlooderButcher
    I have a video file, it has black borders on top and bottom of the screen and I'd like to know if there is an way to crop that black borders without reencoding.
    Watch it on TV? If they're small borders you won't see them. Oh, nevermind, I see they're big letterbox bars.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You DO have to re-encode.

If you want to try that, in VirtualDub:

Video/Filters/Add
    Choose "Null transform"
    Click "Cropping..." button
    Adjust your crops by dragging.

Then File, Save as, and choose a compression method and level -- this is the re-encoding part.
    If you choose a similar or slightly better compression than the original, the quality loss shouldn't be bad. Just try a short segment and see.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by AlanHK
    You DO have to re-encode.

If you want to try that, in VirtualDub:

Video/Filters/Add
    Choose "Null transform"
    Click "Cropping..." button
    Adjust your crops by dragging.

Then File, Save as, and choose a compression method and level -- this is the re-encoding part.
    If you choose a similar or slightly better compression than the original, the quality loss shouldn't be bad. Just try a short segment and see.
    Yeah, in fact this is my method too, sometimes when I see the resulting video will be blocked or will lose some quality I use MSU SmartDeblocking video filter and the Sharpen filter to enhance the edges, you know.

As I'm not a regular member, In fact I ask about two, three questions by year. The guides and the search function of this forum help me a lot. I only ask when I can't find an answer.

I need to say.. Thanks guys, see ya!!!
    Quote Quote