VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I wanna plug my computer to my tv. What kind of difference will I get if I plug it from hdmi or vga.

I know theoricaly, hdmi is better but in real testing would it be way better or just better. Would it value a 50$ upgrade if price is an issue?

Tv in question is a 37inch lcd, can go to 1080i but native is 720p.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WildParadise
    Hi, I wanna plug my computer to my tv. What kind of difference will I get if I plug it from hdmi or vga.

I know theoricaly, hdmi is better but in real testing would it be way better or just better. Would it value a 70$ upgrade if price is an issue?

At 1366x768 you won't see much difference at the TV end. The VGA "PC Port" is designed for computers and game boxes and will usually not overscan. That way you see the desktop out to the edges. The HDMI and analog component inputs will overscan causing the loss of picture edges.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

Some display cards allow zooming the desktop to fit but the zoom scaling will reduce video quality offsetting any advantage of HDMI.

As always, try it both ways an choose which you like. TV sets and display cards vary in performance for VGA vs. HDMI.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i forgot it will be use 100% for movies, dvd quality or less. So i don't think overscan is a big issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i forgot it will be use 100% for movies.
    Get/borrow a VGA and a DVI-D to HDMI cable and compare. Best to output 1366x768p @ 60Hz.. Check the manual for accepted resolutions on the VGA and HDMI port. If that isn't possible use 1280x720 (720p).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have the hdmi setup yet, i'm checking to build an htpc and changing one or the other might change board-cpu-ram so i would like to get the best advise before. There's no mention of hdmi resolution in the manual, which makes me think, will I get a better resolution on hdmi on that tv (1920x1080) or will it be the same 1366x768? Same resolution would make hte hdmi pretty useless for me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Whatever resolution you feed that TV will be scaled to the panels naive resolution, most likely 1366 by 768 as pointed out by edDV so the scaler could cause a quality drop. If you feed it 1366 by 768 then no scaling should be taking place giving the highest quality image. That's an opinion. However feeding it VGA will make for less fiddling around. You say only for movies... However it would still be nice to see the whole computer desktop when you go to start your movies. Wirelss KB and Mouse and bg screen computer for web surfing too.

Don't forget to get an audio cable to connect from the computer to the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i would be using a menu like win mce and no web surfing, got 2 laptop for that, will probably use a remote. True for the audio cable I had forgot that. I gotta say i'm more tempted by the hdmi solution but as I said, if their's no gain.. their's no point.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have the hdmi setup yet, i'm checking to build an htpc and changing one or the other might change board-cpu-ram so i would like to get the best advise before. There's no mention of hdmi resolution in the manual, which makes me think, will I get a better resolution on hdmi on that tv (1920x1080) or will it be the same 1366x768? Same resolution would make hte hdmi pretty useless for me.
    Your manual would indicate if the HDTV can accept 1080p over HDMI. Feeding 1080i (interlace) will cause less movie quality for less expensive TV sets. Most display cards don't output true telecined 1080i anyway.

Feeding a display card progressive at TV screen resolution is your best bet for highest quality. The VGA PC port can avoid the TV's scaler. The HDMI port always gets scaled (except for recent Samsung and some others). So the results depend on the quality of your display card and TV scalers. If this is a cheap HDTV, the scaler may not be the best.

If you can't aford a $24 DVI-D to HDMI cable for comparison, my guess is your TV's overscan scaler is crap.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know my tv won't give me 1080p so that can be scratched and I know it's not an high end model tv, mostly in the middle. Display card will either be a x3500 or geforce 7100, integrated onboard.

Seeing some reviews on the tv seems theirs no overscan with 1366x768 resolution.

So, same resolution, should get same image, 1 cable less for hdmi, about 50$ difference for both..

Dvi to hdmi in store here are 80$, i would need to order to get a cheap prices one and that would be throwing away money since i couldn't return it and wouldn't use it after.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I know theoricaly, hdmi is better but in real testing would it be way better or just better. Would it value a 70$ upgrade if price is an issue?

Strictly from the perspective of preserving inputs for other devices, you should use the VGA to connect
    your computer. Computers are one of the *few* devices that generally perform well with an HDTV over
    the VGA port. Save your HDMI port(s) for future devices, like a Blu-ray player, HD Tivo type DVR box,
    or some other future technology that only works well with HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zen of Encoding

Strictly from the perspective of preserving inputs for other devices, you should use the VGA to connect
    your computer. Computers are one of the *few* devices that generally perform well with an HDTV over
    the VGA port. Save your HDMI port(s) for future devices, like a Blu-ray player, HD Tivo type DVR box,
    or some other future technology that only works well with HDMI.
    I got 3 hdmi input, 2 used by and hd pvr scientific 8300hd and a ps3, I don't think i need to save that extra hdmi (no intention to buy a xbox360). Beside that you will go for hdmi or stick to vga?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm back to saying buy your $80 ??? (Walmart $25, online $12) DVI-HDMI cable and compare to VGA. You will only find out which works better by experimentation. Odds are you will see little difference.

Walmart probably has a better return policy.

PS: Last time I used a SciAtl 8300HD it wouldn't allow simultaneous digital audio over HDMI and S/PDIF. This may have changed. You really want that surround audio going to the surround receiver not the TV. Same goes for the PC connection.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    didn't know walmart had that. just checked on canadian website, 29.77.

I'll definitly do the test before buying my new htpc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the low price but i really don't need that adapter so I will return it to walmart after.
    Could even get this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=...seq=1&format=2.

Making me want to buy it but take 2 weeks shipping as it comes from usa.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The newegg link was for a 10ft (~3m) cable with DVI-D on one end and HDMI on the other.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah i know but for only a 5 min plug-in to know if hdmi or vga is better..

It's gonna be a hdmi board with an hdmi tv so I don't need this cable after.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Finally i'll do the test when i'll receive my board, it was in special for the same price as the non hdmi, we'll see!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone for everything, big help!!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    okay, got the stuff now I need your help guys.
    VGA mode gives me flickering even with 60hz refresh rate. Can't go higher.
    HDMI refresh is good but colors are very weird. Color management on tv doesn't change anything, color management on computer can get it a bit better but still weird compare to vga colors.
    Quote Quote