VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello please help

i am trying to copy my DVD RAM discs to a pc hard drive

i have recorded many tv programmes to dvd ram discs
    using a normal home dvd recorder (panasonic dmr-e55)

and now want to transfer all these tv programmes to my computer's hard disk WITH NO LOSS OF QUALITY

i do not want convert the files to different formats etc
    i just want to perfectly copy all the separate tv programmes (dvd ram disc chapters) as they are

so i can store all my tv programmes on the hard drive
    (and maybe in the future edit, crop and re organise them etc)

can anyone tell me how to do it
    as i say it must be WITH NO LOSS OF QUALITY

my problems have been

i cannot just drag (copy) the contents of a DVDRAM
    it just comes up as one big single .vro file

and some copying software i have looked at says convert encode etc etc and as i say I WANT TO BE 100% SURE i am not altering the quality of the tv programmes IN ANY WAY when i copy them (to make a perfect copy of each file as they exist on the DVDRAM disks now)

please can anybody tell me how to do it
    if needs be i am willing to buy the correct software

greatest thanks
    richard
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try TDA, Mpeg2vcr, I've even imported using Media Player Classic 6.4 - you set the .vro file to open in explorer - then click on "open" in the file browser, and do "save as". be certain to name it (your choice) .mpg
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not think you can do all you want to.

Essentially, the VRO is an mpeg-2 stream. If it is already on your HDD then you can just rename the file to .mpg. All the programs on the disk are merged into one but you could use VideoRedo to split the programs with no loss of original quality.

Ulead Video Studio can read dvd -rw disks (similar format) and autoamtically import the separate programs as mpeg but not sure about dvd-ram. You could always use the free trial version to see if it works.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i cannot just drag (copy) the contents of a DVDRAM
    it just comes up as one big single .vro file
    Why can't you copy the .vro?

The .vro is the contents of the DVDRAM.

If you copy the .vro to the HD, you will have exactly what you are asking for, as I read it an unconverted file from the DVDRAM disk to store on the hd.

And although it maybe a little tedious depending on the number of programs, you can even accomplish
    (and maybe in the future edit, crop and re organise them etc)
    Tearren
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't jus copy the .VRO file; copy the whole DVD_RTAV folder to your hard drive. Then you can play it with WinDVD, which will show you all the individual titles and chapters.

[/s]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree, you could just copy the DVD_RTAV folder, which would preserve everything, of course, until you can edit. The additional files require little space, especially when compared to the VRO file.

If you need an editor that works with VRO files, TDA is a very good choice, especially if you want to re-author. It can detect the individual programs.

However. if you need a free program (at least for PC users) that can work with VRO files without you needing to rename them, MPEG Streamclip is one which you might try. It would allow you to split the VRO's into individual programs and save each as an mpg. It can work with VRO files on either a DVD-RAM disc or an HDD. MPEG Streamclip does this with no loss of quality, but you have to find the start and end of each program yourself. It's not frame-accurate either (and niether are most of the other editors mentioned) but it may be good enough.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You could copy your .VRO file then rename it to *.mpg
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just copying (and renaming) the .VR_MOVIE.VRO file can cause problems if the disc was recorded in multiple sessions, as is often the case with recording TV shows with a DVD recorder. You really need the VR_MANGR.IFO file.

Several of the TMPGEnc products icluding TDA can seperate the .VRO file into the individual programs via the "Source Wizard". These are saved to your hard disk as .dvddata files, which can be renamed *.mpg with no probs.

The least expensive way to take this route it TMPGEnc DVD Source Creator for $40US. That's like, what, only two or three British Pounds these days (cheap) :wink:
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Panasonic DVD Movie Album's Copy Tool does this. It has been reported here that it can be obtained from Panasonic for a small price. Invaluable software when using DVD RAM discs. Forum link is here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic341861.html?highlight=panasonic%20movie%20album
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have both TDA and DVD Movie Album, and would much rather go the TMPGEnc route. I find Movie Album to be rather clunky. It also does not support AC3 audio. Still, it does get the job done.

Interesting to hear that it's still available.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear everyone
    who has responded i to want to thank you greatly for your advice

It seems like there are a few solutions and i think the following is the route i will use:

step one:
    I put the dvd-ram disk into my computer's dvd disk drive

step two :
    I drag/copy the whole DVD_RTAV folder from the dvd-ram disk on to my pc's hard drive

and all the contents (tv programmes - chapters etc) of the dvd-ram disk are stored perfectly as three files .vro .bup .ifo in this DVD_RTAV folder
    This process creates a 100% perfect duplicate copy to my pc's hard drive of the original dvd-ram disk contents.
    (I could stop here if i just wanted to copy my dvd-ram disk to my pc hard drive)

step three
    I can then access the recorded information stored in this DVD_RTAV folder (.vro .ifo. bup),
    with a software programme which can read the three files .vro .ifo .bup files

- this software will use the .ifo file (chapter information)
    to read the .vro file (video information)
    as the separate tv programmes etc i recorded

Due to my specific requirements and after using the demo version of TDA (and reading other peoples reviews)
    i think maybe that is the software for me to try

because using the TDA software to access the chapters stored in the DVD_RTAV folder happens without any alteration to the quality of my original recordings and this was what i wanted to be 100% sure of
    i.e. no re-encoding etc
    and also TDA allows one to edit,play,reorganise etc the recordings (tv programmes - chapters etc)

Anyway once again thanks to everyone who helped
    and to videohelp for this forum

Richard
    April 2008

p.s. i also want to thank fedet123 for the following reply he sent when i asked him a related question

Hi there.

Yes, you put your DVD-RAM-disc into the DVD drive on your PC, and copy the "DVD_RTAV" folder to your hard drive. Then open TMPG DVD Author, and select "Create new project", then select "Add DVD-video". This opens a small window, in which you select the "DVD_RTAV" folder of your choice.
    If you have several programs/recordings on your disc, they will be showed as "Program 1,2,3..." etc..

TMPG DVD Author will not re-encode any of the video input, so you will keep the exact digital quality all the way.
    Quote Quote  
  12. DVD Movie Album is great, but don't use it on your original files. It overwrites those.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Create a directory and give a name like the content you want to drag into it, let's say "Mr Smith Goes To Washington."

Drag the whole \DVD_RTAV folder to the new directory.

Re-name the big "VR_MOVIE.VRO" file something like "Mr Smith Goes To Washington.MPG"

Double click the file and it will open in whatever program your computer uses to play MPG files.

VRO files are simply MPEG-2 files. Put it on a USB stick and open it in your Blu-Ray player. Burn it to a DVD-RW and pretend it's a movie if your player can handle data discs. It's really cool, I do it all the time. I stream them on my DLNA server.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by daddy0 View Post
    Create a directory and give a name like the content you want to drag into it, let's say "Mr Smith Goes To Washington."

Drag the whole \DVD_RTAV folder to the new directory.

Re-name the big "VR_MOVIE.VRO" file something like "Mr Smith Goes To Washington.MPG"

Double click the file and it will open in whatever program your computer uses to play MPG files.

VRO files are simply MPEG-2 files. Put it on a USB stick and open it in your Blu-Ray player. Burn it to a DVD-RW and pretend it's a movie if your player can handle data discs. It's really cool, I do it all the time. I stream them on my DLNA server.
    This thread has been dead for 7 years. This forum does not automatically close old threads to new comments, but it is bad manners to grave-rob, in general. If you make a habit of updating any old dead thread you find that you think needs your two cents added to it, the moderators here may decide to intervene.

...and VRO files are not mpg files. Recordings in VRO files, especially on DVD-RAM discs, can be fragmented.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    daddy0-please do not open anymore old threads,nobody needs to know anymore.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Okay, okay, I get it.

It was my first hour on the forum. People still use this old stuff. Somebody new to the hardware isn't prone to post, they want information without bothering people. I read the replies and added to the thread based on my experience with renaming VRO to MPG.

I feel compelled to defend myself.

I have edited extensively using the embedded tool on my DMR-EZ28.

For example, briefly, I have created and removed enough "chapters" from long events that the original 4 hour (or longer) feed was shortened by 40%. Bear with me. When I watch the result on -RAM, copy it to USB stick, burn it to DVD-RW as data or stream it via DLNA it looks great.

However, it does retain information that leads me to agree it is fragmented, most obviously the TRT. Of course it is. But -RAM is so robust it still works.

That is why I joined the forum. That is why I researched. And I just wanted to post something to help out, to contribute before I started asking questions.

Just trying to help other newbies.

Sincerely,
    New Guy
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like most of those who dig up old threads to improve them, you added nothing new or worthwhile to the thread. Somebody else already suggested replacing the VRO extension with mpg 7 years ago. Then, a moderator politely asks you to stop digging up old threads to add to them and you argue with him. You are not off to a good start here.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Sigh

Likewise

I was excited to chip in, my bad.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    All it would take for others to not be on your back with all this is for you to create NEW threads on the topic. Then, if anyone wants to comment on the current state of disc-based recording & archiving, they can.

No need to throw in the towel, nor to lash out. Just part of learning the rules/customs of this site.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  20. Gotcha, thanks
    Quote Quote