VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm so sorry for what is probably a very obvious and silly question but I'd be so grateful if someone could help me.

I am in the UK and need to replace my broken DVD player. I am thinking about buying this which says:

"Super compatible with DVD, MPEG 4, SVCD, VCD, CD standard format disc etc, Fluent read MP3, MPEG-4 CD-R, CD-RW, HDCD, JPEG, Kodak Picture CD"

- does this mean I can put a blank DVD in which has an AVI file burnt onto it, and it will work? It doesn't mention the AVI file format. Should I be worried by this?

Thank you SO much in advance!

Jane
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4

The key parts to be aware of are MPEG-4 part 2 (MPEG-4 SP/ASP, used by codecs such as DivX, Xvid, Nero Digital and 3ivx and by Quicktime 6) and MPEG-4 part 10 (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, used by the x264 codec, by Nero Digital AVC, by Quicktime 7, and by next-gen DVD formats like HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc).

Most of the features included in MPEG-4 are left to individual developers to decide whether to implement them.
    Most AVI files are DivX/Xvid compatible, so the answer is, "maybe".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh thank you for replying so fast! So do you mean that it depends on the file? I have some AVI files which I have downloaded, and some which i have ripped from DVDs. do you think they would work? or is there really no way to know?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jane2
    Oh thank you for replying so fast! So do you mean that it depends on the file? I have some AVI files which I have downloaded, and some which i have ripped from DVDs. do you think they would work? or is there really no way to know?
    The specification is vague enough so one can't really tell. I would guess yes, and there are tools (eg AVI ReComp) the might be able to make them compatible if not. But there is no guarantee.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    jane2 - Welcome to the forums, but there's no way to know for sure if your files will work. Typically the following things may (or may not) be problems, depending on your player.

1) Use of QPel (Quarter Pixel)
    2) Use of GMC (Global Motion Compensation). If it is supported at all, anything above 1 warp point almost certainly will NOT work.
    3) Use of packed bitstream.
    4) Resolutions greater than 720x576.
    5) Use of audio other than CBR MP3 may be a problem with higher video bit rates (2000 Kbps or more). In fact, some audio types like DTS may require much lower video bit rates (say 1400 or lower) to play correctly.

You may not understand anything I told you, but those are general guidelines for problems. If you have a problem file that won't play, download and install the free Gspot program and open your file and see if it has any of those 5 things in it. You'll have to re-encode to remove everything but #3, which can be removed with MPEG4Modifier. Note too that some DVD players may enforce certain things like 8.3 character file names (ie. MYFILE12.AVI is OK but it won't play something called MYBIGFILENAME.AVI or MYFILE12.DIVX). If you burn anything to disc, I very strongly recommend that you do NOT do a multi-session burn and that you burn everything at once using Disk At Once mode if you can pick it and finalize any discs you burn. These will help to eliminate potential problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can also check the manaufacturers website for the model in question or you can look in the DVD Players section and see if the information is available.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for all the replies!

I ended up buying the DVD player in question, and it seems to be doing something weird. It works perfectly for purchased or rented DVD movies. It works perfectly for AVI files which have been burnt onto a CDR. It does not play the exact same AVI files if they are burnt onto a DVDR.

Does anyone know why this might be?
    Quote Quote  
  8. whats the brand/model?
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it's the one I linked to earlier: Vistron DVD-026B 5.1 Channel DVD/Divx . Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jane2
    It does not play the exact same AVI files if they are burnt onto a DVDR.
    Does anyone know why this might be?
    Using what burning app?
    What format?
    If you use ImgBurn, for instance, you have a choice of several filesystems.
    ISO 9660, UDF, Joliet.
    Try changing this.
    Quote Quote