VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have a DVD that looks like it should be 16:9, but it is set to 4:3. The video is stretched vertically. Is there any way I can rip it to my computer and fix it so it will play at 16:9 on my DVD player? Please help, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IfoAR2WS (for ifo's) + DVDPatcher (for VOBs)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like your DVD has a wrong tag. It could be easily done using DVDRemake. Just load DVD in, reset tag for offending video to 16:9, export, burn.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tinker
    It looks like your DVD has a wrong tag. It could be easily done using DVDRemake. Just load DVD in, reset tag for offending video to 16:9, export, burn.
    How do I do this? I've used DVDRemake before, but never like this. Please explain, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Easier with IfoAR2WS. Copy the video_ts to your hdd , run ifoar2ws, burn with imgburn. .
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so I figured out how to switch it to 16:9 by clicking on Program Chains and then the Video panel. But then part of the menu is also in widescreen. Is it possible to make only the movie 16:9, but keep the DVD Menu and the little video leading into the menu at 4:3? Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Easier with IfoAR2WS. Copy the video_ts to your hdd , run ifoar2ws, burn with imgburn. .
    Hey, I just tried this and it also makes the lead-in video to the menu in 16:9 since it is in the same VTS as the main movie I'm trying to change. Is there any way to avoid this, or will it do this no matter what program I use?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now I'm having another problem. After I use IfoAR2WS, the video is 16:9 on my computer, but when I burn it and put it in my DVD player, it's still 4:3. Why is this?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Are you sure you have your DVD player set up correctly? If playing to a 4:3 TV set, it should be set for 4:3 or fullscreen or whatever the equivalent is. If outputting to a 16:9 TV set, it should be set for 16:9 or widescreen or something like that.
    After I use IfoAR2WS, the video is 16:9 on my computer, but when I burn it and put it in my DVD player, it's still 4:3.
    Assuming the player is set up correctly, then it looks like changing the IFOs didn't work. DVD players are supposed to get the DAR information from the IFOs, and maybe yours doesn't. Can you check the original DVD in a different player, perhaps one at a friend's house, to see if it has the same problem?

If yours is really getting the DAR from the video itself, then ReStream can fix it. But it's hard and time consuming as you'll have to dismantle the DVD and run the M2V through ReStream to set it for 16:9, before then reassembling the DVD. Not really worth it. Easier maybe would be to buy a decent player. Assuming your DVD player is properly set up in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check what manono say about your DVD setup first.
    In Remake click on Menu where your PGC containing a picture is, than open Video tab and see what it say about aspect ratio.
    To change it, double click on text there and once dialogue box open, do your changes.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My TV set it 4:3. I don't know if I'm using the correct terminology, but what's happeing is that the original DVD is in fullscreen, but it looks like it should be in widescreen. It is a horribly-made mixed martial arts DVD so it's not surprising they messed it up. When I watch it on my computer and on my DVD player it looks like it is stretched vertically; everybody looks taller then they should be. When I use VLC media player on my computer to watch it, I can just switch the A/R to 16:9 and it looks perfect. But what I want to do is watch it the way it should look (widescreen) on my DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So it looks like the DVD is OK. It is 16:9 material, but your DVD player setting is wrong. Your DVD player should be set to 4:3 TV, if that what your TV is? Than DVD is encoded to play 16:9 on wide screen and either Letterbox or Pan and Scan on 4:3 TV.
    It should work.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, I think the DVD is the problem. It plays 4:3 on my computer also, when it should be 16:9. I have never had any problems with my DVD player before, so I'm sure it's just a poorly-made DVD. Should I go into DVDRemake and leave it on 4:3, but then select Letterbox?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check what manono say about your DVD setup first.
    In Remake click on Menu where your PGC containing a picture is, than open Video tab and see what it say about aspect ratio.
    To change it, double click on text there and once dialogue box open, do your changes.
    I can't find a video tab when clicking on a PCG. I see tabs for Pre Commands, Post Commands, Cell Commands, Audio Tracks, Subpicture Tracks, Extras, CLUT, Blocks, Buttons, and Programs, but no video tab. I can only find a video tab when I click on Video Title Set, Menu, or Program Chains. I think the problem is that both this small video I'm trying to keep at 4:3 and the main movie I'm trying to change to 16:9 are in the same VTS. Is it even possible to have 2 different A/Rs in the same VTS?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes you can have different A/R between Menu and Program in one VTS.
    But all Menus(Language Units) and all Programs (Titles) have to have same A/R in the same VTS.
    That is why you can click on video tab under Menu or Program only.

What I mean. Allmenus can have one A/R and all Programs other A/R in one VTS.
    Hope it is clear.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes you can have different A/R between Menu and Program in one VTS.
    But all Menus(Language Units) and all Programs (Titles) have to have same A/R in the same VTS.
    That is why you can click on video tab under Menu or Program only.

What I mean. Allmenus can have one A/R and all Programs other A/R in one VTS.
    Hope it is clear.
    OK, thanks for clearing that up. I figured out my problem. Instead of just switching to 16:9 in DVDRemake, I had to switch to 16:9 and check the letterbox box. Now it plays perfectly on my DVD player. Pretty simple I know, but I'm not very good at this stuff, hehe. Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no problem!!@
    Quote Quote