VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does any one know how to transfer shows/content from my Directv Hd DVR to my pc? I have not attempted it yet but i'm just looking for a starting point.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Starting point is S-Video + audio to a capture card.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what is a capture card? i'm sorry i'm really new to all this. haha
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    and where do i get one?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Best thing to do is buy a standalone dvd recorder. Connect the s-video cable and the audio cables. Burn shows/content to dvd-rw. Finalize dvd-rw. Import dvd into pc, using DVD Shrink. Backup to Hard Drive Folder. If you are burning HD from Directv, use IfoAR2WS to change the AR flag to 16:9 format. Then burn the Hard Drive Folder from DVD Shrink to a blank dvd using Imgburn. Very easy and results are almost as good as the original HD feed. Reuse dvd-rw to burn new shows/content.

Otherwise, you can learn how to hack your dvr and import the feed directly into your computer and keep the original signal. But as far as I'm concerned, that's too complicated and if you make a mistake you'll mess your hd-dvr up.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by justinflnyt
    what is a capture card? i'm sorry i'm really new to all this. haha
    A capture card comes in two types, Internal and External.

Internal ones are normally PCI cards that have composite video input, s-video cable, audio inputs and sometimes firewire inputs. Uses one PCI slot on the motherboard.

External ones are normally little boxes that have the same inputs as an internal one but connects to the pc via a usb cable. Normally not as good as internal cards.

If you are new to all this, buying a standalone dvd recorder is really your best bet.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mrswla
    Best thing to do is buy a standalone dvd recorder. Connect the s-video cable and the audio cables. Burn shows/content to dvd-rw. Finalize dvd-rw. Import dvd into pc, using DVD Shrink. Backup to Hard Drive Folder. If you are burning HD from Directv, use IfoAR2WS to change the AR flag to 16:9 format. Then burn the Hard Drive Folder from DVD Shrink to a blank dvd using Imgburn. Very easy and results are almost as good as the original HD feed. Reuse dvd-rw to burn new shows/content.

Otherwise, you can learn how to hack your dvr and import the feed directly into your computer and keep the original signal. But as far as I'm concerned, that's too complicated and if you make a mistake you'll mess your hd-dvr up.
    Just noticed this 'quality' comment... If you're starting out with SD, and not HD, how much quality loss is there?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is your budget?
    What software do you intend to use for editing and DVD authoring?

Describe in detail what you want to do and we will suggest products to buy.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by cwb
    Just noticed this 'quality' comment... If you're starting out with SD, and not HD, how much quality loss is there?
    depends on your recording device. Will you be using a quality dvd recorder? If so, then you shouldn't loose much quality at all. I use a Panasonic DMR-ES25s, which received good recording marks from c/net(if you want to rely on c/net!!). Too me it records very nice. Just make sure that if your source material is 16:9 use IfoAR2WS to change the AR flag to 16:9, as the panasonic dmr-es25s does not carry the flag over.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cwb
    depends on your recording device. Will you be using a quality dvd recorder? If so, then you shouldn't loose much quality at all. I use a Panasonic DMR-ES25s, which received good recording marks from c/net(if you want to rely on c/net!!). Too me it records very nice. Just make sure that if your source material is 16:9 use IfoAR2WS to change the AR flag to 16:9, as the panasonic dmr-es25s does not carry the flag over.
    Originally Posted by edDV
    What is your budget?

Budget is not too much concern. Emptying the DVR is the primary concern, and saving quality is as well. And of course time, since it takes real-time to off-load, I'm guessing???

Editing and burning is low priority - I have 2.4 Tb's of storage, so I'd prefer to feed vids and audio directly to the pc/laptop (laptop has the most ports for peripherals).

Options?

In the meantime, I'm looking for extra disks from TBone's list here, any of which I'm presuming will work? Or will disks ONLY with the same version work?
    Quote Quote  
  11. That list is for a specific model of Dishnetwork SD DVR.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    What is your budget?

Budget isn't really a problem; editing, authoring, burning is not a concern - I need to get the DVR vids off the disk and into the pc (I have about 2.4T disk space, so there's plenty of storage capacity. Quality of transfer is the primary concern...

Dazzle Video Creator Plus inhales like a Shop-Vac (see the other thread).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Best thing to do is buy a standalone dvd recorder. Connect the s-video cable and the audio cables. Burn shows/content to dvd-rw. Finalize dvd-rw. Import dvd into pc, using DVD Shrink. Backup to Hard Drive Folder. If you are burning HD from Directv, use IfoAR2WS to change the AR flag to 16:9 format. Then burn the Hard Drive Folder from DVD Shrink to a blank dvd using Imgburn. Very easy and results are almost as good as the original HD feed. Reuse dvd-rw to burn new shows/content.

I use a Panasonic EH50 ... it is connected to my Directv HR10-250 ... and I record shows to the harddrive or the DVD-Rs or to DVD RAM disk .... with DVD Ram disks ... you can transfer them to your PC ... if the DVD Reader or Burner can read DVD Ram disks ... that you have in your PC. I do burn to DVD RW disks too ... but mostly DVD Ram disks.

The newer Panasonic DVD Recorders ... like the DMR-EZ17 ... can burn to DVD Ram disks ... quality is not bad at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If editing isn't a priority, I agree a DVD recorder makes sense.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by edDV
    If editing isn't a priority, I agree a DVD recorder makes sense.
    As long as there are good clean fade in/fade outs between commercials, dvd shrink does are great job at minor edits.
    Anything more than that, mpg is not good for editing.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got a dvd recorder with built in hard drive I got a laptop only has a VGA connection on my laptop Im trying to play replay games off of espn360.com and record them to my dvd recorder I need help with what cable..Its got to be AVG to something since thats all I have on laptop.....
    Quote Quote  
  17. Check this thread out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ATI capture cards ... especially the HDTV Tuner cards ... HDTV Wonder PCI and the 650 series ... they have a connection in the back for the ATI purple breakout connector ... you can use S-VHS cable and RCA audio cables for the video and audio connection.

Programs I use when I copy stuff from my Directv HR10-250 ... Cyberlink PowerDirector 8 ... or Cyberlink PowerCinema 6 ... works pretty good.

Wont be HD ... but it is one method. I've used it to copy movies from my DVD Player and my Super VHS video player VCR.

I sold a PC on Ebay and it was a ACER PC with Vista Home Premium 32bit on it ... worked fine if you were going to use it for recording TV shows from over the air.

But the customer had other intentions ... recording shows from their Satellite box .... only solution was using the analog S-VHS connection in the back.

If they had told me ahead of time I could have included a ATI purple breakout connector ... in the box ...... I did tell them where to find them on Ebay.
    Last edited by lacywest; 29th Jan 2010 at 15:07. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my laptop is a compaq CQ60-211DX can you tell me a good video card I can put in it that will do what I want
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    also got a new samsung 24 LCD monitor on my desktop I might could hook my dvd recorder to that. It has hdmi and DVI and component it has 2 hdmi on it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by marionr26 View Post
    also got a new samsung 24 LCD monitor on my desktop I might could hook my dvd recorder to that. It has hdmi and DVI and component it has 2 hdmi on it
    Most computer monitors don't accept interlace anything (unless an LCD-TV) but it should accept 720x480p over analog component or maybe over HDMI. If the DVD recorder upscales on output, try 720p out.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001280

this is my monitor from Newegg. The kicker is that my Desktop is a Dell Deminson E510 it only has VGA on the back nothing else so I would need a new video card for it. Those pretty much just pop in the slot and start it up I mean I dont have to go online searching for drivers or nothing right???? Now to what card. I guess just look for a video card with hdmi,S-Video,component. for a Dell E510. Do a search.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by marionr26; 31st Jan 2010 at 22:10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001280

this is my monitor from Newegg. The kicker is that my Desktop is a Dell Deminson E510 it only has VGA on the back nothing else so I would need a new video card for it. Those pretty much just pop in the slot and start it up I mean I dont have to go online searching for drivers or nothing right???? Now to what card. I guess just look for a video card with hdmi,S-Video,component. for a Dell E510. Do a search.
    That is actually a fully functioning LCD HDTV. It will accept the analog component outputs from your DVD recorder no problem. It will also accept the VGA output from either computer (one at a time). I have a similar Samsung 2333HD.

So, you can watch the sat tuner on the HDTV in HD over the HDMI connection while recording on the DVD recorder from the S-Video and audio connection. DVD recorder playback would be analog component to the HDTV.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks edDv so that is a good video caard to put in my PC to do what I want to play video off a website and record it on my dvd recorder
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks edDv so that is a good video caard to put in my PC to do what I want to play video off a website and record it on my dvd recorder
    You would need a display card with S-Video out.

Like this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150390

Plus you could get a S-Video switch to select Sat or PC inputs to the DVD recorder

http://www.drillspot.com/products/414846/Philips_Accessories_and_SWV2030_17_3INPUT_S-Video_Switcher
    Quote Quote