VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So today Sony released a new firmware update... allowing for DTS-HD to be accepted... no DTS 96/24 or DTS-ES tho.

I have mkv that has DTS audio, I was wondering how I can find out what the properties are of it.

Before the firmware came out I have been trying DTS to ac3 but just can't seem to get it to work(tried a few guide on transcoding), I was doing this so I could use ac3 for mkv2vob.. or will mkv2vob accept the DTS and make it work with my ps3?
    Seedin and encoding... Healthy pc life :)
    Quote Quote  
  2. The way I have converted DTS => AC3 is use foobar2000 with the DTS plugin, convert that to .wav, then convert the .wav to AC3. You're supposed to be able to do it with eac3to, but I couldn't get it to work (maybe it works now with the new versions)

mediainfo should tell you if it's DTS-HD
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it says just DTS, so would that be the lower grade version then?

I have tried to go about the foobar way with ac3 aften... guess I should try to mono wave....

also tried eac3to but like you mentioned, failure

there was another app... it did dts to mp2 but that would stop at 33.33%

where can I find the DTS plugin for foobar? the one i attached to the program would not work during conversion but would play back the audio
    Quote Quote  
  4. If it's DTS-HD, then it will say so. The "normal" DTS bitrate is ~1500kbps. The size is usually a lot bigger for DTS-HD

Here is the foobar2000 DTS plugin (and the AC3 plugin if anyone else needs it):

The .dll should be unzipped into the components folder (C:\Program Files\foobar2000\components)

foo_dts0.1.7.zip

foo_ac3.zip
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess its DTS HD since its 1536 bitrate, but since this came off a bluray disk that i ripped it should be... right?

tried the wav conversion, audio quality went down, and it didn't produce 6 different streams like I saw with some of the besweet guides...

hopefully I will be able to find out whether this DTS does work, once I am done with my h264 info then remerge back to mkv then try mkv2vob
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think 1536 kb/s is the normal DTS. DTS-HD is 6Mbit/s for blu-ray. DTS-HD Master is (up to) 24.5Mbit/s! You can have mulitple tracks, perhaps your ripped the wrong one?

I was able to preserve 6 channel by converting DTS=>.wav=>AC3. The .wav=>AC3 was done in megui (but the backend was just aften). The quality shouldn't go down in the .wav, but only converting to the AC3 because (1) it's a lossy format, and (2) the bitrate for AC3 is usually ~640kbps (max)

Only 1 way to find out if it works on the PS3 Guinea Pig
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well looks like mkv2vob still transcode's the dts to ac3... I guess I should ask the author of the app if he plans to had DTS compatibility in the future....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    I think 1536 kb/s is the normal DTS. DTS-HD is 6Mbit/s for blu-ray. DTS-HD Master is (up to) 24.5Mbit/s! You can have mulitple tracks, perhaps your ripped the wrong one?

I was able to preserve 6 channel by converting DTS=>.wav=>AC3. The .wav=>AC3 was done in megui (but the backend was just aften). The quality shouldn't go down in the .wav, but only converting to the AC3 because (1) it's a lossy format, and (2) the bitrate for AC3 is usually ~640kbps (max)

Only 1 way to find out if it works on the PS3 Guinea Pig
    I will give the megui a shot, hopefully it will work. the wav file from my foobar conversion that was only a single file was also muffled and default volume level was lower than the original DTS.

the DTS file of mine is 1.1gb... guess your right and its not HD audio.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    valdec.exe (from the ACFilter tools) can convert DTS to multichannel .WAV;

another option:

DTS --> (Avisynth + NicAudio + SoundOut) --> 5.1 AC3;

HTH
    Quote Quote