VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Perhaps a simple question, but, I have a DISH sat receiver, and, connected the TOSLINK output to a Mac with a TOSLINK input. So, my question is, how can I capture the audio coming in, and, save as a file that has dolby digital content. Perhaps I can merge this into a video for example, as long as it retains the dolby digital content.
    Steve
    Quote Quote  
  2. This is not good. No one can tell me how to input AC3 audio, potentially through the build in TOSLINK port, but, would accept a third party audio board method as well.

Need to know what hardware and software is needed.
    Steve
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I assume you are sure that's a input for Toslink on the Mac, which seems odd. Most computers with Toslink have it as a output to a surround sound amp. But if it is a input, I think it would need to have a decoder installed to convert it to a electrical signal.

Otherwise, you can probably route the DISH receiver Toslink to a surround amp and it may be able to convert it.

But one of our Mac experts can probably give you a better answer.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you'll need to do something like this, but using your optical input instead of coax. the limiting factor is usually the soundcard. a couple years ago there were only one or two that could be used, none were tested on macs afaik.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=338286
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. TOSLINK is optical. I was hoping for some Mac guys to help here. Yes, Macs have optical INPUT and OUTPUT.

Using Audio Hijack, I have successfully taken a DD signal into the Mac and right back out to a receiver, which did in fact play DD. So, it is quite possible.

What I guess I need then, is software which will allow me to capture that audio in a suitable format without processing it, which Audio Hijack cannot do.

Any Mac guys?
    Steve
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I should have moved this to the Mac forum where you may get more specific answers. Moving you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sfatula
    Yes, Macs have optical INPUT and OUTPUT.
    Are the optical inputs/outputs only on desktop macs? I have a mac book pro and there are no Toslink inputs/outputs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. All the Macbook pros I know of have optical ports. They are not TOSLINK, they are mini TOSLINK. So, you need an adapter cable, the audio in and out do double duty, they can either be analog or optical. Please see the Macbook PRO user guide. So, with an adapter, it is in fact TOSLINK.

Unless some of the really old ones did not I suppose.
    Steve
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sfatula
    All the Macbook pros I know of have optical ports. They are not TOSLINK, they are mini TOSLINK. So, you need an adapter cable, the audio in and out do double duty, they can either be analog or optical. Please see the Macbook PRO user guide. So, with an adapter, it is in fact TOSLINK.

Unless some of the really old ones did not I suppose.
    Thanks, I'll have to try that out. I knew that the audio in/out did analog or digital, but did not know that it was a mini toslink connection.
    Quote Quote