VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

DVD Decrypter always worked on my Win 2000 PC, I recently got a new PC with XP SP2 fully up to date.

On the new PC when DVD Decrypter encouters a problem with a DVD it often ceases to function properly. This can involve a retry error, a manual cancel/skip file, or similar ripping error, though on disks that it reads with no problems it works perfectly. When an error occurs DVD Decrypter will not close at all, File-Exit, clicking the 'x' button, even ending the process with task manager all fail to have any effect. Worse though its crashed-but-still-alive state prevents other apps from starting or apps already running from loading files, and Windows won't even re-start or shut down. The only remedy is to hit the reboot button on the PC's case!!

Obviously something is up. Any ideas what to do to resolve this situation?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Decrypter hasn't been updated in years. The author was made an offer he could not refuse by an American company tied to the entertainment industry. He was told that if he gave them the source code and stopped distributing the program that they would agree not to sue him. Given the way that 321Studios got beat down in US courts even though they did not remove CSS encryption, I think you can understand why he took this offer.

DVD FabHDDecrypter is a better tool to use now as DVD Decrypter can't even decrypt some newer releases that use ARCCOS copy prevention software. You may not see ARCCOS discs in the UK, but we see them here in the USA. ARCCOS has been used in other countries in Europe so I can't rule out it being used in the UK.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Anyone got any ideas why DVD Decrypter does this on XP but not on 2000? The same disks also encounter the same read problems on 2000 but on 2000 DVD Decrypter handles the errors just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your problem could be a lot of things. Worse quality DVD-ROM drive that is having problems reading the discs. Now you might be using ARCCOS protected discs (maybe on the old system you never used such DVDs and now you, for example, have a bunch of region 1 Sony made DVDs from the USA to rip). It's hard to say.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Your problem could be a lot of things. Worse quality DVD-ROM drive that is having problems reading the discs. Now you might be using ARCCOS protected discs (maybe on the old system you never used such DVDs and now you, for example, have a bunch of region 1 Sony made DVDs from the USA to rip). It's hard to say.
    Thanks.

That's not it. The SAME DVDs encounter the read-error same problems on the 2000 PC and on the XP PC, the problem is that on XP I get the crash problem already described but on 2000 DVD Dec. does not crash.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Funny, I have been running DVD-D since April or May, when I got my new laptop running Vista, and I have never had a problem with DVD-D, with the exception of the usual newer copy protected discs...don't know what their encryption schema is, but usually it is just Walt D.'s DVDs that I have a problem with, and even then I have other utilities that allow me to read through the data stream...
    "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" ~ JOHN MILTON, PARADISE LOST
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You've resurected a pretty old thread but...

I never got DVD Decrypter to work like it used to and the crashing problem persisted. So pretty soon after my post in April I switched to DVDFab HD Decryter (free version) which has consistently worked perfectly, it's a sweet piece of ripping software.
    Quote Quote