VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This has plagued me for years, and it's time to figure it out.

Before ripping regular, non-hd dv tapes, i go into settings, choose custom, (mpeg2) and it seems like the options to change the bitrate always change, as far as what the max is. I want 15000kbps, and sometimes it's there, but sometimes it limits it to 10000, or sometimes even 8000. It seems like it changes from day to day. No matter what other settings i try to change, i can't see how to get it where i want it. Even if the clip is only 5 min, it still won't let me change it! I'm trying to make a good looking home movie for a dvd-r. Anything less then 10000kbps looks worse then a dv to vhs transfer, in my opinion. This is a travesty, and makes converting to dvd almost worthless, as far as quality.

Like i said, i can't get upto 15000kbps with any settings, unless i get lucky. Am i an idiot? Or are the dev's idiots? Does anyone know what i can do? If one cannot make a dvd disc look as good as the original rip, then what is the point?

I also hate how pinnacle says things like "best output to dvd" when burning, which actually usually reduces the bitrate even more, usually like 8500kbps. Do you know how awful that looks? My pre-hd dream settings is a 60 min tape ripped at 15000kbps and burned at 15000kbps. Is that even possible? (regardless of the program). I should be able to do that with like 5 minutes, at the very least! Do i need to use the dv function instead of mpeg2?

Hopefully when i get my new pc going, adobe premiere will have custom bitrate options that are high and that work. And yes, i realize i need to get into hd, lol.

I appreciate any and all comments, and i apologize for my abrasiveness. Thanks.

winxp pro
    gig of ram
    256mb video
    2.66ghz clocked at 1.91ghz
    Pinnacle studio 11 ultimate
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well, you're asking it to make a non-compliant dvd file...
    if you want 15000kbps, you minds well save it as dv-avi @ 25000 but it's still not a compliant dvd file...it's a data disc for the computer only
    you could then burn to a blu-ray disc for $25 each or wait till the price drops

if your dv looks like crap, you've got other problems
    Quote Quote  
  3. I appreciate your comments. It helped me to understand a few things about dvd in general.

Regardless of what program is used though, dvd facts are dvd facts, right? Well, i wish someone that has actually used pinnacle studio could give me info on my questions, that pertain to pinnacle studio, regardless of dvd limitations.

The question remains: if one cannot reproduce a dvd of a home movie at least as good as the original dv tape, even if it's 5 min. long, then there is no point, imo. Hopefully someone can help with specific answers to my pinnacle studio questions. But again, any info is appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    here's a forum...
    http://forums.pinnaclesys.com/forums/70/ShowForum.aspx
    they'll just tell you the same thing
    no dvd (other than DV burnt to a dvd datadisc for the computer only) can display DV "at least as good as the original DV tape"...but you may be satisfied with the outcome once you try...it's the only way to distribute
    if you don't need to distribute, you may want to look into dvd players that play dv-avi, xvid, divx, etc...directly to your tv
    Quote Quote