VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to convert some avi files to mpeg2. Do I need to do anything more than select 29.9 fps in tmpgenc? thnx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the avi files are 23.976 fps, then encode them as 23.976 fps with 3:2 / 2:3 pulldown, then author. If you convert them to 29.97 fps you will at best butcher the image, at worst, butcher the image AND introduce audio sync problems.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If your AVI type files include the common MP3 VBR audio, watch out for sync problems from that. I usually extract the audio with something like VirtualDub or VD Mod and save the audio out as a WAV with full processing, then use that with ffmpegGUI to convert to AC3 audio. You can author both streams to DVD with a program like GUI for dvdauthor, then burn with ImgBurn to a DVD.

Or if you are looking for a easier way with less control and usually less quality, try the freeware FAVC or the payware ConvertXToDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks guys. Can I assume I just select 3:2 pulldown in the main video section instead of using the one in the advanced section? Just want to make certain.

redwudz, I have found that ffmpeggui is not very good for converting those files to ac3. The resulting ac3 file is actually lower in volume than the original and sometimes the program will even crash during this process if you just drag the video file directly into the encoding window. AOA Audio extractor has been a godsend in comparison. The audio quality and volume don't appear to be affected like it is with ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Goodbye ffmpeggui, Hello AoA Audio extractor. There is indeed a drop in volume with ffmpeggui. Thanks for this, zanos.
    I'm surprised it's not part of the tools section, I guess it's up to the author to submit.
    Quote Quote