VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have got a DVDRip film. The film consists of two 700 mb avi files. This film is very important for me so I don't want to lose quality. I could join the avi and srt files and then burn the joined file into a dvd, but I'd like to ask you if it would give a better result qualitywise if I burnt the avi files to 2 dvds? Or would there be no or little difference in quality considering that they have been ripped from one dvd anyway?

If a kind soul could help me with this question, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you just join them, there should be no quality loss. Whether you put a 700MB AVI file on each DVD or a single 1400MB AVI file on one DVD, no difference. Of course joining them may give you a sync problem, depending on how they were split. These would be a 'Data DVD'. in the downloaded format.

If you plan to convert them to MPEG for a DVD, then there would be some quality loss because of the conversion. But if they are 700MB AVIs, quite a bit of quality loss has already happened from the original conversion from a ~7GB MPEG DVD to two 700MB AVIs.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    If you just join them, there should be no quality loss. Whether you put a 700MB AVI file on each DVD or a single 1400MB AVI file on one DVD, no difference. Of course joining them may give you a sync problem, depending on how they were split. These would be a 'Data DVD'. in the downloaded format.

If you plan to convert them to MPEG for a DVD, then there would be some quality loss because of the conversion. But if they are 700MB AVIs, quite a bit of quality loss has already happened from the original conversion from a ~7GB MPEG DVD to two 700MB AVIs.

And welcome to our forums.
    Thanks for your quick reply.

What I am planning to do is to create a dvd with ConvertXtoDvd; so should I put the two avis together to create 1 dvd or create a seperate dvd for each file? I apologize if I should have already gathered the answer to this question from your reply, and this is a repetition; I couldn't understand it, if it was so...

EDIT: So you think it must have been a 7gb dvd, the original source?

I reconsidered it and option 1 is to join the two files with virtualdub, then convert the joined file with ConvertXtoDvd; option 2 is converting each file to a seperate dvd with ConvertXtoDvd.

"Which option should I go with?" should be my properly stated question, I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    if this is so important to you and you don't want to lose quality why didn't you buy the DVD's?

...have the forum rules changed in the past year?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by greymalkin
    if this is so important to you and you don't want to lose quality why didn't you buy the DVD's?

...have the forum rules changed in the past year?
    Have I broken a rule? I apologize for that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would let ConvertX do the joining. Less chance of sync errors that way and it usually does a good job. Sometimes when AVI files are split, it's done incorrectly and that can cause sync errors when rejoining. MP3 VBR audio can also cause sync problems. And it's common with Xvids off the net.

Most DVD main movies are about 4 - 5GB just by themselves. Add the extras and other stuff and the total can get up close to 8GB.

If the original file was a 4GB MPEG file, then was converted to Xivd, then you convert it back to MPEG and a DVD, you won't gain back the original quality, which I'm sure you realize. Even if they are made back into a 4GB MPEG, they will still be lower quality than the Xivd. If you keep the bitrate high enough, that should minimize the quality loss. ConvertX usually makes good choices on the final size.

Best would be to use ConvertX, make a DVD by adding both files. Then also burn the two separate AVI files directly to a data DVD. Then you will have both versions archived.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by meurglys0
    What I am planning to do is to create a dvd with ConvertXtoDvd; so should I put the two avis together to create 1 dvd or create a seperate dvd for each file?
    The question is how long in time is the total. As long as it's less than 4 hours, you won't get a better result by splitting it over 2 DVDs.

I'd encode using an Avisynth script myself, but if you want to directly encode the AVIs, try joining with Avidemux.
    Possibly the latest version of VirtualDub could do it too. Use Append and Direct Stream Copy.

You can combine the SRT files using Subtitle Workshop.
    Tools/Join subtitles and point it to the original AVI files which it will use to set the correct offset for the second half.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    What I am planning to do is to create a dvd with ConvertXtoDvd; so should I put the two avis together to create 1 dvd or create a seperate dvd for each file?
    The question is how long in time is the total. As long as it's less than 4 hours, you won't get a better result by splitting it over 2 DVDs.

I'd encode using an Avisynth script myself, but if you want to directly encode the AVIs, try joining with Avidemux.
    Possibly the latest version of VirtualDub could do it too. Use Append and Direct Stream Copy.

You can combine the SRT files using Subtitle Workshop.
    Tools/Join subtitles and point it to the original AVI files which it will use to set the correct offset for the second half.

Thanks to all. You've all been helpful.

AlanHK, I have another movie waiting to be converted to a dvd. It consists of 3 avi files, one 847mb, one 1.07 gb, and one 342 mb. They all make a total of 3 hours and 49 minutes. Do you recommend creating 2 dvds out of these files?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AlanHK, I have another movie waiting to be converted to a dvd. It consists of 3 avi files, one 847mb, one 1.07 gb, and one 342 mb. They all make a total of 3 hours and 49 minutes. Do you recommend creating 2 dvds out of these files?
    I would, personally. It's much more convenient to watch if it's on one disc.

I use HCEnc to make my MPEGs, and that's particularly good at getting quality at a lower bitrate.
    Also I experiment with a small clip at various rates to see just what I'd get.
    You can't get more quality than is in your source file. At a certain point higher bitrates just mean bigger files.

If you DO see a quality hit trying to fit it on one disc, consider using a DL (9 GB). A bit more expensive than two SLs, but not outrageously so.
    Quote Quote