VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone!

I'm getting increasingly irritated by the number of discs I'm wasting with this! I'm really hoping that its a simple problem! Id really appreciate some help!

Ok, so I start with an AVI, I then use either "VSO DivX to DVD" to convert it to DVD Format then i either use DVD Santa/Img Burn to burn the files to DVD.

Failing that, I use convertXtoDVD to do the entire job including burning.

However, WHATEVER of those methods I try, the finished DVD (9 times out of ten) ends up playing like a badly scratched disk - really jerky playback where the video pauses, then skips forward by anything from a few seconds to a minute or so!

So, what am i doing wrong? Is it the discs i'm using (Kodak dvd-r's), my DVD player (sony basic one - about two years old) or the method i'm using for encoding/burning?

Any help you can give me would be appreciated so very much!

Thanks!

Justin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Let's see :

DVD Santa = Rubbish
    Kodak DVD -Rs = Dubious at best
    Sony player - not the best for burned media

Even DivxtoDVD is getting long in the tooth.

I would start by saying that there is no reason to burn with anything other than Imgburn, ever. Buy yourself some Verbatim discs (not the made in India ones), convert with FAVC or ConvertXtoDVD (not DivxtoDVD - too old, too many quirks), then burn with Imgburn. Test play in the Sony, but don't be discouraged if it doesn't play back perfectly - it could be the problem even at two years old. Test playback in a number of other players before declaring it a failure.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Gunsl1nger!

I must admit, I have had a few problems with DVD Santa and sometimes it will burn dvds fine, other times, it won't. I will from now on, stick with imgburn and convertx to dvd.

Do you think i should do all my burning with imgburn? and just do the conversion with convertxtodvd? Or will converting an avi to a dvd and burning as well with convertxtodvd will be fine with decent discs?

as for my dvd player, whenever i play other dvd's burnt to dvdr's by my friends, they work fine! so i dont think my dvd player has a problem. But thanks for pointing it out to me.

do you mind if i ask another question?

when i convert an avi to dvd format, in the "Audio_TS" folder that it outputs, it's empty! do i need to do anything with it when using imgburn?

Thanks for all your help!

Justin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The audio_ts folder is always empty on DVD video discs. When burning with Imgburn just use Build mode and select the Video_ts folder and Imgburn will work out the rest itself.

I only use Imgburn when burning DVD Video (in fact, I use it for almost all my burning).

No player is compatible with all media, and no media is compatible with all players, so it is wise to try other brands of discs when you have problems like this. Verbatim are very good and compatible with most. TY are also well regarded, but not something you can pick up at the local store. Also, changing brands is an easy to change to make. Much easier than changing players or even encoding tools.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What guns1inger told you is right. Only one thing. New version of ImgBurn has an opening screen where you can just click File/Folder to DVD, next screen locate a main folder with your Audio and Video_ts folders in it and burn.
    You do not have to worry about Write or Build mode.
    This screen was introduced for new users as the old method was little too confusing for most.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Fantastic!

Thank you both!

I guess i've got a load of dvd's for data now!!

Quote Quote