VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9914064-7.html?tag=nefd.top

As of September, Philips will no longer make televisions for the U.S. and Canada.

Instead, it is transferring that job to Japanese electronics maker Funai. The two companies agreed to a brand-licensing agreement in which Funai will source, distribute, market and sell all consumer TVs under the Philips and Magnavox brand names in the U.S. and Canada.

The deal begins September 1 and is good for five years. Funai will pay a royalty to Philips

"This agreement secures continued presence of Philips and Magnavox branded TVs in North America in a model that safeguards Philips profitability in this highly competitive market," Philips said in a statement Tuesday.

And so begins the thinning of the herd. The television market is becoming an especially tough business, as prices continue to fall and more inexpensive brands like Vizio and Olevia attempt to edge out the traditional market leaders. Pioneer, a leader in plasma TV tech, also recently announced it would sell TVs but no longer make its own plasma panels. ....continued...
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Funai????????

Wasn't that the outfit that made those *HORRIBLE* $99 VCR's back in the late 80's/early 90's (when "real" VCR's still cost $300 or so)?

They were in stores under the Funai and Symphonic brand names at the time, and man did they ever suck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, can't wait to go out and buy me one a them brand new Phillets-Magnetbox brand TVs!
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Funai is craptastic but to be fair Philips/Magnavox isn't considered "high-end" either.
    Typical for corporations to skimp on quality to save a buck.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Funai is craptastic but to be fair Philips/Magnavox isn't considered "high-end" either.
    Typical for corporations to skimp on quality to save a buck.
    true
    Quote Quote  
  6. Philips has been using Funai for their VCRs since the early mid 90s. I'm surprised they didn't start getting TVs from them until now. Every TV Philips makes ends up refurb at their outlet store shortly after being released. Funai can't do any worse.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    Philips has been using Funai for their VCRs since the early mid 90s. I'm surprised they didn't start getting TVs from them until now. Every TV Philips makes ends up refurb at their outlet store shortly after being released. Funai can't do any worse.
    I have two Philips/Magnavox TV's: 1) 25" CRT ten years old, mono; and 2) 27" CRT 8 years old, Stereo. Both are very good TV's. Would not trade either one of them for the Sony Trinitron which lasted only 6 years.

Sadly, all that remains of Philips and Magnavox are brand names that are known and can be sold under license, just like RCA and General Electric. Emerson Electric was another fine company......my father uses one of their fans which his mother bought used with the first money she earned in a munitions factory during WWII; it was manufactured in St. Louis, 1941.
    Quote Quote  
  8. 6 years is a lot better than I got out of my Sony CRT, I got less than 6 months out of mine. I've got a Panasonic Superflat CRT that's 14 years old and still works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very weird that. I have a Sony KV-27TS30 not 2 feet from me that gave up the ghost 2 years ago. It was the electronics that went "poof" one day, not the tube which I'm assured is still in good condition. The sticker on the set says it was made in August 1990! It would still be running if I could replace the electronics at a reasonable cost...
    Quote Quote  
  10. They were probably better in 1990 than they were a year ago when I had mine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a Sony Trinitron 25" that was manufactured in May 1981 - still works perfect.
    Got a 27" Trinitron that's almost 9 years old that still has a beautiful picture and also works absolutely perfect - it was bought to replace a Phillips-Magnavox that took a shit after 2 weeks. Took that p.o.s. to a 'certified' Magnavox repair shop who replaced a bunch of the electronics (under warranty for free) only to have it take a shit after only 2 weeks... took it back and they replaced the picture tube, which went to hell after less than 1 week. Took it back to place of purchase for a full refund.
    I swore at that time I'd never buy anything from that brand again.

I've stuck with Sony since never had any problems with any of their products except the Play$tation2.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  12. I've had a Sony DVD player, garbage, cordless phone, garbage and a top-of-the-line CRT HDTV that died after about 4 months. I'll never buy Sony again.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My PS2 bought the first day it was released is still working fine. I used the memory Card hack and use the Hard Drive exclusively now. Saves on wear and tear on the laser assembly....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Funai is rumored to make BluRay DVD player and sell it under Magnavox or Sylvania brand.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/13938.cfm
    Quote Quote