VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I was looking at the doom9 forums and came across this thread. It started off talking about putting multiple dvd9 content onto a blueray disc but soon changed to backing up a blueray disc to a dvd5 or dvd9 blank in avchd format playable and readable on blueray standalone players. From reading that thread it seems that jdobbs is considering adding blueray->dvd5 or 9 avchd backup to dvdrebuilder. So it looks like you won't need to buy blueray blanks anytime soon. If you want to do this now click here to get the steps jdobbs used to create an avchd disc on a dvd5 or 9.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thanks. Great work by JDobbs.

FYI you can do x264 (instead of MPEG2) blu ray backup => DVD5 or DVD9 with ripbot264
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been doing this with megui for a while now - I needed to get Kingdom (HD-DVD) into Blu-Ray on DVD9 and hard sub the arabic translation.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    FYI you can do x264 (instead of MPEG2) blu ray backup => DVD5 or DVD9 with ripbot264
    That's good to know as well.

From the way I read that thread JDobbs is creating a blueray format disc (with x264) onto a dvd blank that will be readable on a standalone blueray player.

From this
    Originally Posted by jdobbs at doom9
    I think it's the incredible efficiency of the h.264 codec. I've been using X264 to create the video. I feed it an AVS file that uses DirectShowSource() -- and have the FFDSHOW pack installed (with MPEG-2 decoding enabled) so it covers the source formats. In case anyone else wants to try it, here are the tools I've been using for testing:

1. TSMuxer -- to extract the audio when I'm reencoding it. (sometimes I'll use FFMPEG to reencode from 640Kbs AC3 5.1 to 448Kbs AC3 5.1). TSMuxer can also convert DTS-HD and AC3-HD to "standard" types during the demux.
    2. BDEdit -- Most discs contain a single M2TS stream that contains the entire movie. But some (e.g. discs with more than one version like theatrical and special) use multiple stream files. BDEdit identifies file that are linked together to make one "version". TSMuxer can then be used to append them together.
    3. X264 to reencode the video.
    4. TSMuxer -- to remux the new video with the audio and create a "Blu-ray" folder.
    5. ImgBurn -- to burn to UDF 2.5 format on either DVD+-R DVD-5 or DVD-9.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MEGUI and Ripbot264 are too complicated and too many steps. So give me jdobbs blu-rayrebuilder now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by rhegedus
    I've been doing this with megui for a while now - I needed to get Kingdom (HD-DVD) into Blu-Ray on DVD9 and hard sub the arabic translation.
    Hmm. Okay. I guess I'm behind the times abit!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No worries

While the rebuilder probably works fine for BD, it won't work for HD to BD conversion.

Try http://www.glenharrison.com/bluray/index.htm for direct porting of the main HD movie with no re-compression.

If you want to get it on a DVD9 then re-encoding with megui is needed.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings folks - reviving this thread since it's too interesting. I'm very interested in getting SD content to BD compliant formats, particularly with H.264's improved compression - even more in the same space.

Here's the deal though: A "BD-5" or a "BD-9" is not standard according to the BD spec. The only standard on this media is AVCHD, which has its own specs entirely. Does anybody have further insight to this? And no, not just for a PS3, but for BD in general.

Maybe I should read the threads further, but RipBot264 doesn't seem to make that distinction between AVCHD and BD content - it uses the blu-ray nal-hrd patch, calls it AVCHD compatibility, yet says it's blu-ray content, and only seems to only promise playback on the PS3... wanna clear me up on this folks?

As well, SD content on BD supports 720x480/576 for AR of 4:3/16:9. There is no way this can be done without distortion at --sar 1:1, which is the x264 command in the MeGUI blu-ray profile. Easy to change, but I don't know how to change this in RipBot264 though, which assumes 1:1 for all (common in HD).

Wouldn't you need for SD instead?
    4:3, 720x480 NTSC --sar 8:9
    16:9, 720x480 NTSC --sar 32:27
    4:3, 720x576 PAL --sar 16:15
    16:9, 720x576 PAL --sar 64:45
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  9. How very puzzling, PuzZLer.

I thought freebird was talking about Blu-ray backups (Blu-ray => DVD9) using h.264 instead of MPEG-2?

I haven't done this myself, but on Doom9 forums, RipBot264 was successful in making Blu-ray => DVD9 compatible with a blu-ray player (Just the movie, no chapters, menus etc...) Look around post #1121
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=127611&page=57
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well I can see how puzzler got confused. The thread on doom9 actually started off talking about placing multiple SD dvd's onto a Blueray disc. It wasn't until the 4th or 5th post down when the discussion turned to backing up a blueray disc to dvd5 or 9 in a format that would be playable on a standalone blueray player or ps3.

For those interested from this post jdobbs has created a profile in DVDRBpro that will do the upconverting.
    Originally Posted by jdobbs
    You may have noticed I included an experimental profile that does 1280x720 up-converting for AVCHD in the 1.27.3 release (under the MOBILE profiles). It uses FFMPEG to encode. You may want to try it. You'd just have to, then, use TSMuxer to bring the video/audio into the right format (the audio file is already demuxed and exists in the D2VAVS directory, or you could use the 2 channel reencode that is output into the TS file of the profile) and output to Blu-ray format.

It's my intent to include X264 in either the next release or the one after that for that purpose.
    So it looks like Blueray to dvd backup may soon be included in dvdrbpro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but it seems jdobbs is pretty close to releasing a BD Rebuilder for VIP testing.

Quoting this post on doom9
    Originally Posted by jdobbs
    I've made some progress on BD Rebuilder, so it may not be too long before some of the Rebuilder VIPs get access to the beta. No promises, though, I still have a few kinks to work out before I leave alpha stage.

I've done a small number of full backups -- but nothing too complex... and there are still a few issues. I have quite a bit of work left to do on the muxing code, though, right now I'm still using TSRemux (which isn't GPL) for that part.

I'm really getting spoiled. DVDs just don't seem to do it anymore after you watch a few of these BDs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. so is this a DVDShrink-like application where I can just choose a video track, audio track, subtitle track and the program automatically re-code BD movies to DVD-9 blu-ray standard?
    "Half empty or half full, it's still only half a glass" - What Dave Says
    Quote Quote  
  13. There are a couple of major differences between it and DVD Shrink. It's not a transcoder but will do a full reencode (and will probably take a long time to complete). And it's not free. About the only similarity to DVD Shrink that I can see is its simplicity and ease of use.
    Quote Quote