+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. ok, don't do like me: read the fuckin manual !! before ... hihihihi
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    hey ive got a video with soft subs embedded in already but need to hardcode the so i can see them when i burn it to dvd any help here?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bloodymoon6 View Post
    hey ive got a video with soft subs embedded in already but need to hardcode the so i can see them when i burn it to dvd any help here?
    You don't have to hardcode anything. Extract the subs from the mkv with mkvextractgui and then use dvd flick or avstodvd or convertxtodvd and load the mkv and sub and make a dvd. But THIS has nothing to with this topic. If you have more questions then make a new topic.
    Quote Quote  
  4. hi dears
    my lcd tv playes mkv format but it can not show sub/idx subtitle files.i want hardsub subtitle files in mkv and play them on lcd tv.also the sub/idx file is in persian lang.can you help me please?
    thanks alot
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have a video (here http://rapidshare.com/files/417271644/_HorribleSubs__Kateikyoushi_Hitman_Reborn_-_200_...720p_.mkv.html), but I can't find a way to put subtitles on them. Do you have to manually type them or does a program automaticly put them in?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have attached subtitle (srt) to mkv file but my Samsung LED TV Series 5 cannot read that particular file.
    I have tried those mkv file (without mux the subtitle) with my LED TV, my LED TV has no problem reading the file.
    Anyone can help me on this matter?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does your TV actually support soft subtitle streams muxed into an MKV? Check your manual. They might have simply decided to not allow subtitle streams in an MKV container, so that they don't have to worry about implementing support for more common subtitle formats in an MKV, like .ass subtitles, or field requests from people trying to get them to work.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I cant do anything about it.
    Another question, those media player such as Western Digital HD (WDTV) can play those mkv file muxed with subtitle?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Kale31899 View Post
    I have a video (here http://rapidshare.com/files/417271644/_HorribleSubs__Kateikyoushi_Hitman_Reborn_-_200_...720p_.mkv.html), but I can't find a way to put subtitles on them. Do you have to manually type them or does a program automatically put them in?
    Never mind. I figured it out. I just needed to update my codec.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I have a full HD mkv file of the movie 2012. The file size is about 15 GB
    Tried to add .srt subtitles using mkvmergegui, but this is not playing in my WD mediaplayer.
    I tried the same with vlc player and it is working and showing subtitles also
    Please guide me to get the subtitles in WD media player also.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't know which generation WD player you have. I have 1st generation HDTV player for USB. External .srt subs work better than muxed in for .mkv. Just name the .srt with the same base name as the mkv file. If the mkv is movie.mkv name the subtitles movie.srt. In the settings you can choose to load external subs automatically. They will display without doing anything when you start the file playing.

If you have very large mkv files I find WD player handles them better if you change them to .m2ts. Anything over about 6 GB I use tsMuxer to mux to .m2ts. Just include the .srt file with the film. If the .m2ts is movie.m2ts name the subtitle file movie.srt.

See your owners manual how to get to the options page to have the subtitles load automatically.
    (Click on the Gear looking thingy.)
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you very much Milesahead.
    I have followed your instructions and its working perfectly now
    Quote Quote  
  13. Glad you got it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I tried adding subtitle to mkv, worked fine with VLC player on my computer.
    However, when i played it with my media player hardware on my TV, it gave me the sound track with blank/black screen.
    Tried playing the muxed file with MKV player 2, gave me a beep/error sound. Couldn't even open the mkv file.

Anyone got the same problem before?
    Is there any setting that i should set on the video track before muxing it?
    Quote Quote  
  15. There are no details in your question to enable an answer. You say "add subtitle to mkv" withoiut saying what kind of subtitle and how it was "added". You don't say what "media player hardware" you have or what kind of TV. There are too many variables for guess work. Please give specifics.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello;

I have mixed MKV file with Hebrew Srt subtitle with the MKVmerge gui program and it worked great, except for one problem. On the computer I see the Hebrew subtitle perfect, but when I try to see the subtitle on my VewSonic video player on my LCD TV I see the the subtitle only as a UTF-8 and left to right, instead of the right to left that is required in Hebrew. I have been trying for months to correct this problem with no luck. Can you help me?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I would look for a ViewSonic forum. WD has a forum for their set top boxes. Web space is very cheap these days with canned web forum applications. So it's very little cost for manufacturers to set up a support forum. Most likely someone using the same player knows where the setting is, if there is one. Sometimes there's a flash update that loads a newer config program. That type of thing.

edit: although flash has gotten more reliable than when first introduced, there's still a chance of turning any hardware into a paperweight if the update fails or you get malicious code. I'm reluctant to flash update unless there are features I think worth the risk. I updated to latest firmware on my WD box because it added idx/sub subtitle support, with a few other things.

I just never assume it can't go wrong is all I'm saying.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an SSA format subtitle for an mkv video and if I start a random muxing with MKVToolnix the created file has no subtitle at all. Could you tell me how should I set the program in order to receive subtitle. Thank You.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Thank you for the info IT WORKS GREAT!!!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hello. I have a problem with mkvmerge GUI. When I try to add an *.ass file, it returns an error. Here is the image:Click image for larger version

Name:	problem.jpg
Views:	2248
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	8754.
    This is the only *.ass file it doesn't want to load. Please help me with this. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hello, I have a Phillips TV 40pfl6606/78, I play 720p mkv files normally, but this tv does not support subtitles. I embed the subtitles with mkvmergegui, but when I run the movie does not show the subtitles, I read something about softsub and hardsub, is there any way I can add subtitles permanently in mkv and my tv can play.

Sorry for bad English

thank you
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by rafabsd View Post
    Hello, I have a Phillips TV 40pfl6606/78, I play 720p mkv files normally, but this tv does not support subtitles. I embed the subtitles with mkvmergegui, but when I run the movie does not show the subtitles, I read something about softsub and hardsub, is there any way I can add subtitles permanently in mkv and my tv can play.

Sorry for bad English

thank you
    If the subtitles are .srt or .idx/.sub then you can use Quick AVI Creator. Even though it's named Quick AVI Creator it can output .mkv encoded with x264. Just name the subtitles with the same base name as the movie. If your input is movie.mkv and subtitles are idx/sub then name the 2 subtitle files movie.idx and movie.sub. Put them in the same folder as movie.mkv.

Quick AVI Creator is a bit quirky. You select input. Choose encoding types. Select a destination folder.

After it demuxes and encodes the audio, it will pop up an AviSynth script for you to make any customizations. Since you are not adding any filters you just go into Tools Menu and click Encode The Video. It will pop up a preview dialog. You can move the slider and see how the aspect ratio, subtitles etc. look. On x264 it has an option for end credits to use fewer bits encoding(why waste bits on the scroll at the end?) What you enter is the frame number when the credits start. You can get it using the slider. If you don't want to bother then move the slider to the end and put the number of the last frame. In effect using the last frame number ignores that feature. It tends to put a bit rate in that's way too small. You'll want to increase the number. Use MediaInfo to get the average bit rate of the source and just use the same bit rate in this setting.

Once you hit go it will encode the video and mux back together. It tends not to show much in the way of status info until it's done. Looks like it's broken. But if you watch your CPU usage you'll see it's churning away. I use Core Temp to see what's going on. Quick AVI Creator seems a bit weird until you do a few runs. It can produce good results in one pass. That's why it's good for adding subs. No sense doing 2 pass mode just to burn in subs unless you have a 5 foot wide wall mounted HDTV.

There are other apps too you can use. Perhaps Handbrake is simpler. But I've had good luck with Quick.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thanks for the tips MilesAhead. I will test both software and report if it worked. Thank you for your attention and speed of response. Hopefully that works, because the image of television is very good, but disappoint when it comes to subtitles

Thanks again

Rafael
    Quote Quote  
  24. hello everyone. my problem is that i can't remove or rename file after i add subs with mkvmerge. i never had this problem b4. any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    I don't know which generation WD player you have. I have 1st generation HDTV player for USB. External .srt subs work better than muxed in for .mkv. Just name the .srt with the same base name as the mkv file. If the mkv is movie.mkv name the subtitles movie.srt. In the settings you can choose to load external subs automatically. They will display without doing anything when you start the file playing.

If you have very large mkv files I find WD player handles them better if you change them to .m2ts. Anything over about 6 GB I use tsMuxer to mux to .m2ts. Just include the .srt file with the film. If the .m2ts is movie.m2ts name the subtitle file movie.srt.

See your owners manual how to get to the options page to have the subtitles load automatically.
    (Click on the Gear looking thingy.)
    I also have the 1st generation HDTV player (Ver. 1.3.01 firmware). I'm using MakeMKV to rip the movie onto the external USB(2) hard drive. Since the HDTV has no support for PGS subtitles that most bluray movies use, the only option I could find to make an external SRT file, (using MKVcleaver and SupRip). The created SRT file is shown in the available subtitles list but when displayed, most of the times (all?) there is no sound. If no subtitles are selected then there is sound! No similar problems exist with standard DVD movies, so it appears to me that the problem may be caused by limited bandwidth of the (1st generation?) HDTV. The problem seems to be more likely to occur when the source MKV file is large 30-40GB. (Same size English language movies without any subtitles also appear to play fine, i.e. no problem with sound, even though I have only a limited number (5-10) to check that.

I'd like to ask you if you have any similar problems, experiences with the HDTV, and if you know of another media player that may have more of a chance to handle the large BD movies? The Netgear NeoTV 550 are praised by some to be the "best" local contact media player. It's reported to have many network and/or web related issues but I'm not concerned about any of that. My only desire is to play BD movies with subtitles without any problem. I'm also curious if you have any experience using USB hubs with the HDTV. It wasn't advertised to support them but I'd like to attach more than the max two physical USB ports allow. Any advice on that? Thanks!

Regards
    Last edited by Filmfan; 29th Nov 2011 at 18:11.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I have only used the WD player. Also I don't play giant BD files. Rather than convert subtitles to .srt I extract the subs with MkvExtractGui-2. Load the subs using BDSup2Sub. Export as idx/sub. The WD player will pick up external idx/sub files if they have the same base name as the video. If the video is movie.mkv name the files movie.idx and movie.sub.

To shrink the file while retaining quality I use BD Rebuilder.
    If you already have an .mkv file you may have to use tsMuxerGui to create a disc folder structure.

If you wish you can use an AviSynth filter in BD Rebuilder to burn the subs in. But WD player does well with external idx/sub.

I'm hoping WD player adopts USB 3.0 support. Forcing huge files through USB 2.0 straw doesn't leave much margin for things like a fragmented drive.

If you already have .srt subs you'll find you have a lot more control if you put them through AviAddXSubs program(unfortunately only works with ANSI .srt files.) You can choose your font, size, border thickness, screen position etc..

WD player even at the largest settings, display .srt very skinny with thin border. Hard to read.
    If you use AviAddXSubs and the idx/sub colors look funky on AviAddXSubs Configuration Two Tab check the box "YUV values at idx/sub color palette." They will look muddy pink on the PC but normal played on the WD player.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 29th Nov 2011 at 22:04.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them all, but of course that will take some time. I didn't know that "the WD player will pick up external idx/sub files". I will try to see if they are more efficient that the SRT. I tried in the past using Handbrake several variations to reduce the BD file sizes but when the source was really good quality I always noticed some degree of loss in the picture quality. I find that there is a very wide range of quality among the so called BD movies. There are many that are simply another copy of a 720p standard DVD version and I've seen some with even less. So now I save and play BD movies via the WDTV only with movies with superior picture quality.

As far as the USB 2 benchmarks go there should be no problem with playing BD content. The nominal 480MB/sec (480/8 = 60MB/s) transfer rate or course just a pipe dream with even the fastest USB 2 hard drives. But I routinely write to my external USB that I use with the WDTV with speeds of minimum 22 (average of 28) MBs. This results in about 30-45 minutes to write the largest (40GB) BD movie. There shouldn't be any reason not to be able to read that back via the WD HDTV in two hours that is the duration of most movies.

And normally there is no problem. (North By Northwest ca. 40 GB with built in English sound track plays without any issues. This is a movie that I have on DVD in both standard and BD version and it is easy to compare the superior picture quality of the BD version.)

The problem seems to be connected to the external SRT file. So I a still fishing for some hands-on experience by other users who play the large the large size BD content. But as I said I shall try all the other recommendations you gave. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  28. idx/sub support for WD gen1 was added in the last firmware update available for the unit. That was the only reason I took the risk of flashing it. The rest of the improvements were things I could live without like nicer menus. The idx/sub support makes a world of difference.
    Quote Quote  
  29. After experimenting with various solutions to read the large BD files (in MKV format) I couldn't make the WDTV to properly run them. A few yes but others not especially foreign movies having PGS subtitles. Those the WDTV can't do so external subtitles files must be generated. But with those files the WDTV most of the time just crashed.
    Earlier the capacity of the USB 2 bandwidth/protocol was suspected, but in the long run I've found that that is not the problem. For one thing, the same large 40-50GB files can be written via USB 2 from a BD disk drive of a computer to any hard disk connected to it. No errors, and the files can also be read back error free. I'm using either the FLV player (that is sometimes glitchy, seems to be a slower player having issues with large data stream), or the MPC Home Player (1.5.1.2903) that does it completely error free. Both players display the embedded PGS subtitles. I can highly recommend the MPC Home Player for viewing BD content on PCs.

Of course this still doesn't solve the problem of reading back these same large MKV files via the WDTV. I can only think that either the WDTV's USB 2 implementation uses slower chips (hardware), and/or has a less than perfect implementation of the USB 2 protocol. Your idea of having the WDTV USB 3 connectivity sounds appealing. But that would require a redesign by WD since the current models have only USB 2 hardware. And even if that would happen someday, one would still have to buy new USB 3 hard drives and transfer all the data to them. Call me lazy or call me sensible but that process doesn't appeal to me.

So I've surveyed other media players and for my purpose the Netgear NTV550 seems to be the best choice.
    Pros:
    1) it does read large 40-50GB bluray content without any errors
    2) It has built in PGS subtitle support , so there is no need to create any external SRT, SUB/IDX files
    3 in addition of the same two USB 2 ports that the WDTV has there is also an eSATA connector, (tested and verified to work), which makes capable to handle up to 6TB (3 x 2) external devices. WD said they will not support USB hubs connected that would of course could also increase total storage capacity. Netgear said "sure, why not"? Whether that is true or not it still would have to be verified.
    4) it has a number of other features (network connectibility, etc) that I personally not interested in, but may be a plus for some users
    5) Fairly simple, useful user interface, easy access to chapters, etc. Of course still not everyone is happy and there can be many complaint read especially when the Netgear is used in a network environment.
    6) Has a full size remote, and promises to handle an external USB 2 Bluray drive connected to it, so you can use it with either DVD disks or hard drives.
    7) I can't call this last one either a con or pro but the Netgear (just like the original Gen 1 WDTV) has no wireless connectivity. But it does have a wired LAN Ethernet port! That would be preferred anyway since the wireless connection is half the speed of the wired connections and would probably cause only problems. (Netgear recommends an optional wireless hub if such connection if desired, but I have no interest in that.) Still wired LAN connectivity is built into the Netgear so theoretically any amount of logical drive space could be connected via the local net. (Lots of complaints in the user forums, but how much of that is a fact or just user errors I do not know.)

Cons:
    1) A bit more expensive
    2) I was not completely happy with either the sound or video quality. Nothing really noticeable and it may have been the particular content I was using with, but somehow I thought the WDTV had a better quality. But this is subjective almost like the claims one used to make about his HiFi equipment versus other ones. It may be only in my mind. (Update: now that I've used the Netgear for a few days I got used to its sound and video and find it quite acceptable. )

Regards
    Last edited by Filmfan; 10th Jan 2012 at 17:26.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    how can i watch my mkv movies with subtitle in my player(blueray player)?
    i have tried mkv merge but although it can be played in my pc ,icant play it in my player
    Quote Quote