VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi ... What are the best computer speakers on the market ? And why do you think that ? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want really kick ass speakers look no further then Klipsch Promedia

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-ultra-5-1.aspx
    or
    http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-gmx-a-2-1.aspx

just don't forget to take your wallet when you go. they are kinda pricey.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Honestly even the best computer speakers pale in comparison to even an entry level home theatre setup (provided you have a decent soundcard)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer Logitech. I don't know what the series number my 5.1 analogs are because they are a few years old. BUT they sound very good.

However I do agree with poisondethray - if you intend to use your pc for mostly movies a dedicated home theater speaker setup with a real digital surround sound amplifier is the best way to go.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. These are very good for an $90 stereo setup:

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-StudioPro-Desktop-Audio-Monitors/dp/B000BN7CRU/

You don't get extended bass out of little boxes like these but the sound is untainted, unlike most PC speakers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    by the way they used to make notes about getting "magnetically shielded" speakers so as not to disturb the monitor.

Do they even make "unshieled" speakers anymore? Would that be a factor at all these days?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Go get a Home Theatre in a box kit. Beyond that best speakers can't be answered. Your ears do not hear the same as mine nor is your listening space the same as mine.

My space might be very lively or dead or inbetween. These will all effect you speaker choice.

Best anything is totally subjective not objective.

Best by price.
    Best by quality
    best by size
    best by feature

Best how?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do they even make "unshielded" speakers anymore? Would that be a factor at all these days?
    That was never a major factor unless you put your speakers right up against your CRT monitor. LCDs are immune and most CRT monitors have some shielding. But even with a CRT, 2 feet is probably enough distance. Considering that most TVs have built-in speakers, it's not a big issue.

I do use a 3 speaker system with a subwoofer for one of my computers. It's a no-name brand that works well enough. For my HTPC, I have a regular surround amp and large speakers. As mentioned, if you want to use the full audio capabilities of 5.1 AC3 audio, you really need a surround audio system with a decent amplifier and speakers that has enough controls and settings to tailor the output to your room. Some of the package deals from the 'Big Box' retailers do very well and go for a low price. But you want to listen to them and read any reviews available if you plan to spend any $$. There are a few computer speakers that do 5.1 fairly well, but a separate surround amp and speakers system may be cheaper.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Best anything is totally subjective not objective.
    And beyond that, it also depends what do you want them for, itīs not the same wheter you just want to watch movies on your PC, play games, edit video or audio recording/editing, etc...and even then if you do it as a hobby or in a professional level.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That was never a major factor unless you put your speakers right up against your CRT monitor. LCDs are immune and most CRT monitors have some shielding. But even with a CRT, 2 feet is probably enough distance. Considering that most TVs have built-in speakers, it's not a big issue.
    My center channel speaker is made to sit right on top of my monitor.

I have a set of Altec Lansing VS3151's that I got a couple of years ago for around $100. They're not as good as the FX5051's for $250 but they sound good enough for this small room. I usually use the headphones anyway so as not to bother my two brothers whom I live with. When I lived alone, I ran two 15 foot monster cables from the PC to my surround receiver along with A/V cable from my ATI AIW to the surround receiver and the TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like the Logitech Z-5500's. Best "computer" speakers I've ever used.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No tengo miedo a la muerte. Solo significa soņar en silencio. Un sueņo que perdura por siempre. ..
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nice
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If money is not an object, then you should totally invest yourself in bose speakers. I just put the head phones on at the mall and that thing took me to another planet. There's really nothing like it on the market. I feel like their quality is 20 years ahead of what we have today.
    Quote Quote