VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am currently capturing a large number of old cassette tapes, and am in need of a tool that can 'batch' save the files. I am capturing the tapes (side 1 and 2 together), editing the file, then converting to MP3. I am using an older version of Roxio Audio Sound Editor (in which works pretty decent), but after I auto detect the tracks, I then have to save each track individually as an mp3. I would like to be able to just let it select all the tracks, and automatically save each one on the fly seperately. I can then edit the track name, etc later. All the time consuming stuff is just trying to capture and being able to do this would probably save me a lot of time. I can't seem to find anything specific to this in the forums.

Thanks in advance for any input!
    "Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, trying to get it, or acting like one."
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Winamp can batch-convert .WAVs to .MP3s .
    It can edit the tags as well. 8)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Midzuki for the info. I'm not trying to be too much of a cheapo here, but I think I'd have to have the Winamp Pro in order to do those conversions?? I'm actually looking for something free (yeah, I guess I'm a cheapo), or even a tool with a trial version that I can use for this one project. I doubt I will be doing this too much in the future to this extent (this is a favor for an older couple that has no idea how to use a computer). A couple of tapes here and there isn't a big deal, but this...oh well, I'm just trying to help these nice folks out.

Thanks again
    "Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, trying to get it, or acting like one."
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can batch convert with foobar2000

Just import the folder or files, select which files (use ctrl or shift select for all), right click => convert to (and configure your options like, mp3, bitrate, etc...)

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some freewares:
    BeSweet can batch convert (use the wizard GUI) from almost any format to almost any other.

If you've just got wave files to convert, CDex is very efficient and configurable.

And I've captured a few cassette tapes using Audacity, to capture, edit, filter and finally output to MP3. It does it all. Get the latest Beta, it has a very improved noise filter for cleaning up hiss and such.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    clearvideo wrote:

but I think I'd have to have the Winamp Pro in order to do those conversions??
    Not at all. Just select all entries in the playlist window,
    click the "secondary-button" of the mouse, select "Send To",
    choose "Format Converter".
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use mp3DirectCut for this. You can record anything coming to your sound card. It then has an option to auto detect the tracks and split them. You set how you want the tracks named. (track 1 thru ... or attach a date and time stamp. When you save the split, it saves them as mp3's.

You can also do manual cuts, fade in's/fade outs, normalize or set the gain on selected sections of the mp3 waveform. It's a great little program and it's free.

I also use dbPowerAmp for batch converting and tagging - it's also free.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the info. I am currently working with foobar2000, great program, but I still have to capture with Roxio, then seperately save each track individually in a folder, then put it in foobar to resave the tracks with new filenames (if i'm understanding it right). My goal is to just capture and save the whole file, then have a program seperate it by tracks and save them in one click (or two).

Also, I did try the conversion in winamp, but it said I had to have the pro version in order to do use the format converter option.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks krbowers...I posted before seeing your post. I'll give this a try. Looks like what I'm looking for.

Thanks everyone for your help and I'll update soon....
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Also, I did try the conversion in winamp, but it said I had to have the pro version in order to do use the format converter option.
    You are right. Apologies for posting unverified information.
    As Winamp "Pro" (quotation marks denoting irony)
    is not required for converting into AAC, WMA, or FLAC,
    I stupidly assumed the MP3 compression would not be
    the calculated (and pointless) exception to the rule. Again, gomen nasai =^.^=
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No apologies necessary Midzuki. In fact, I haven't used Winamp in a long time..they have certainly made some major improvements, so, glad I got it anyway.

Also, thanks alanhk - I have used the BeSweet GUI in the past...it's just a little bit confusing to use at time (though they are getting better). CDex is my favorite cd ripper, but I'm working off of mp3. But, I'll still check it out.

And, I just tried mp3DirectCut that krbowers posted about...and it works perfect. Just what I was looking for. There are some other functions I'm gonna play with at a later date, but as of now, it looks like I've got something I can use.

Thanks again everyone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Edit: Oops, read part of the post I originally quoted wrong.

CDex does allow for file conversions, though. Use Convert > Re-encode Compressed Audio File(s), then select the files you want to convert. It'll encode them using whatever encoder/target format you have selected under Options > Encoder tab.

(At least it should; I've always just used dbPowerAmp converter, instead. Be sure to install the codecs for the formats you want to read from and convert to, from their Codec Central, if you do try it. )
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    UPDATE: here is the cure/solution:

IconMenu --> Options --> Preferences --> Output --> Nullsoft Disk Writer
    Next, configure it for using the free LAME mp3 dll 8)

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am currently trying out mp3DirectCut using the capturing function instead of Roxio (I needed the lame dll for this too). I'll also give the plugin (above) in winamp a try and see how it works
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    razorlame
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So far....the thing I'm having an issue with in mp3DirectCut is when I get to the end of side 1 on my tape, I clicked 'stop' and flipped the tape over to side 2. I thought I could just click 'rec' to start it from that point, but I don't think I can??? I'm kinda hung up here. I probably shouldn't have stopped the recording?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's best not to stop recording - just flip the tape and keep going. Sometimes when you save the splits, it creates a track for the blank recording time while you're flipping the tape, but that track is easily recognized, since the time will be very short. You can just delete that track.
    Quote Quote