VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I have got an Acer Aspire 5020 with an oem Liteon SlimtypeDVDRW SOSW-833S Firmware 3 (the latest).

When newly installed, everything worked fine for a few months then suddenly I got bad disks and I could no longer view films directly from the disc. When recording it usually tries to burn i 0.5 speed and generally fails after an hour or two and if it succeeds, it is with unreported errors. This problem has reoccurred twice after re-installation of Windows.

For some reason I have a second drive listed in the Device Manager RZ9525T LFR159A SCSI CdRom Device. This does not show up in fx ImgBurner though nor anywhere else. When removed it re-installs and when deactivated nothing changes with the function of the device. Neither good nor bad.

Do you have any tips of a solution or of another forum that might be able help me?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The second device may be a virtual drive setup by another application (Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% for example).

As for your primary drive, it could be several issues. First try checking to ensure the drive is using DMA mode. If not, there are several ways to fix it, the easiest is to simply remove/delete the IDE controllers from Device Manager and reboot. Burning issues aside, if the drive is in DMA mode and it can't even properly read commercial discs, you likely have a bad drive and it needs to be replaced.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote