VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    When I built my machine the Core 2 Duo E4500 was $300...the Pentium D 820 was $80 (LOL). So I got the D...now the E4500 is $130.....so my question is, will I notice a big performance increase with the E4500, which runs a bit slower than the Pentium D.

Can't go wrong for the price....just curious. I do not want to spend all that much more than the E4500....

thanks
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  2. It depends on what software you run. Tom's Hardware doesn't show a E4500 but the E6420 is probably close:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=899&model2=878&chart=430
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    guess it depends on your motherboard. is 800fsb as high as it will support? if so the e4600 is the fastest you will get as an end of the line cpu. $140

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115032

and yes with the dual cpu and bigger cache it could double your throughput. the 65nm's also are fairly cool and o/c easily if you're into that. only problem might be a re-install of windows may be required as the multiprocessor hal is completely different than the single. f you just pop it in it may boot ok but it will only be using one cpu not both.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Pentium D 820 is dual core.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Pentium D 820 is dual core.
    it's also old power hungry 90nm tech that's no longer produced. if you find one it will cost as much or more than an e series.

but no matter which you chose make sure to check at your motherboard manufacturer's website to make sure it supports the chip you want to install.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  6. He already has an 820. I was refering to your statment that "only problem might be a re-install of windows may be required as the multiprocessor hal is completely different than the single."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    doh.... thanks - went right over my head.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have an older asus p5pe-vm motherboard....800 FSB, the 6420 is 1066 fsb so I am not sure the gain over the 4500.

I tend to do a fair bit of video encode....is the core 2 duo really THAT much better than old Pentium D?

thanks again!!!

it is crazy how prices have fallen!!!!!
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ron spencer
    I have an older asus p5pe-vm motherboard....800 FSB, the 6420 is 1066 fsb so I am not sure the gain over the 4500.
    I wasn't suggesting using the 6420 -- I used it in the example simply because it should be close in performance to the 4500. The slightly lower clock speed but higher FSB and larger L2 cache roughly balance each other out.

Originally Posted by ron spencer
    I tend to do a fair bit of video encode....is the core 2 duo really THAT much better than old Pentium D?
    Yes. The Pentium D was a pretty poor design. It was a knee-jerk reaction to AMD's dual core processors. Basically just two Pentium 4 CPU's quickly bolted together so Intel could say they have a dual core processor too. But you should check the performance of the particular software you use. The architectual improvements don't guaranty that every program will run faster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I did not realize the design issues...the 4500 seems to have glowing reviews everywhere I look. So I will probably just get that.

Will XP Pro ALWAYS crap out for a new key with a new CPU? Reinstall is easy, just need to prepare for it and ensure all stuff is backed up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have an older PSP800se that used to have a PentiumD 840. Cpu idled at 50 degrees and hit 75 when video encoding. Changed to the 960, and it now idles at 26 degrees, peaks to 48 while encoding, and gives me an average of 110 fps divx encode speed.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ron spencer
    Will XP Pro ALWAYS crap out for a new key with a new CPU?
    Usually not. If you've made a lot of other hardware changes within the last 6 months you may have to activate again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok thanks....sounds like the 4500 is right for price.

appreciate all the advice
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In games I noticed a huge different between the 805D and the 2.2 Core2Duo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron spencer
    Will XP Pro ALWAYS crap out for a new key with a new CPU?
    I hacked XP even though it was a legally purchased copy before transferring it via a disc swap to a new PC and have had no problems with it since. It was less hassle than trying to get a new key from MS over the phone which I did attempt. I have not created a duplicate copy of XP so am still within the terms of the single user license.
    Quote Quote