VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't been here for a long while, since our old Apex dvd player was working perfectly.
    Lately, it's been developing more and more problems and it's time to look for a replacement.

I was hoping to get some recs for an affordable player that can be made region free, play PAL and NTSC disks (I'm from Germany and have several dvds from that region), and also play .avi files (DivX).
    Does anything from Walmart or Costco fit the bill?

I've looked up some of the players, but none of them mention anything about PAL capability.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    take an assortment of your discs to the big stores in your area and see what plays them and how well. if my 1500s ever die i'll be doing the same thing.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get a PHILIPS 3960 which is PAL & NTSC & can be made region free for $39.86 at Walmart.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/us/consumer/cc/_productid_DVP3960_37_US_CO...yer+DVP3960-37

Here's the hack for region free as well.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dvdplayer=philips+dvp+3960&hits=50&Search=Search

This dvd player is HDMI but you can use component cables for hookup. It can also playback DIVX.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks!
    The Phillips sounds like just the thing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    your welx!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    Get a PHILIPS 3960 which is PAL & NTSC & can be made region free for $39.86 at Walmart.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/us/consumer/cc/_productid_DVP3960_37_US_CO...yer+DVP3960-37

Here's the hack for region free as well.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dvdplayer=philips+dvp+3960&hits=50&Search=Search

This dvd player is HDMI but you can use component cables for hookup. It can also playback DIVX.
    I'll second that.

There's also the Philips DVP-5982, which has those same features (and hack), plus 1080p output, and a USB interface for $60 at Amazon.
    Frank Zappa: "People wouldn't know a good movie if it smacked 'em in the face."
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just read up on the model at Amazon and it mentions the following:
    "playback requires a TV that also supports the PAL format".
    We have an old Zenith clunker, and it played the German and British dvds I have with no problems, using the Apex-1500 with hack.

I have to admit that I have no idea if most US TVs support the PAL format, or if the Apex dvd player converted it in a way that any TV could play the PAL content.

Any advice?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by siskiou
    I just read up on the model at Amazon and it mentions the following:
    "playback requires a TV that also supports the PAL format".
    We have an old Zenith clunker, and it played the German and British dvds I have with no problems, using the Apex-1500 with hack.

I have to admit that I have no idea if most US TVs support the PAL format, or if the Apex dvd player converted it in a way that any TV could play the PAL content.

Any advice?
    All TVs sold in the US are NTSC.

The Apex and the Philips have a chipset that converts any PAL-encoded DVDs to NTSC automatically... And I think vice-versa as well.
    Frank Zappa: "People wouldn't know a good movie if it smacked 'em in the face."
    Quote Quote