VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having an odd problem with the DV files I capture from my camcorder when I try to convert them to Xvid/DivX or any other format with Virtualdub. When the processing by Virtualdub gets near the very end of the capture files I get an error that the audio samples could not be read in the source. This only happens with Virtualdub - not with other programs (Nero, Ulead, etc). I've tried capturing the DV video using both Nero 7 and WinDV in both DV-1 and DV-2 formats, so it appears to be entirely a Virtualdub problem.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem with Virtualdub? How about a suggestion for another free program that I can use to convert to DivX/Xvid? I would use Nero 7 but it has a bug that keeps me from compressing the audio to MP3.

any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Kevin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which version of virtualdub ?

I believe the current version can read DV files natively, however the older versions needed a vfw DV codec installed. The Panasonic DV codec and the Cenicida DV codec were the most popular choices.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen this problem with WMV1 and WMV2 where Virtualdub reports DivX 3.11 audio and refuses to save the last minute or so of the file. To fix this error, I save the audio as uncompressed wave file and either compress to MP3 with Goldwave and reinsert or insert the wave and compress with Virtualdub. It seems to fix the problem.

Not sure the camcorder problem is the same but I'd give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I using version 1.7.8, so it should be using the native DV codec to decode the video.

thanks,

kevin
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try this version. Phaeron was working on this bug in test 2 and may have it fixed by now.

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/VirtualDub-1.8.1-test5.zip

If not, try the Cedocida codec until Phaeron can get it worked out.
    Quote Quote