VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    It seems that one of the cheapest, if not *the* cheapest Blu-Ray player for sale out there is the Sharp BD-HP20U. It's about $330 on Dell's site.
    However, this player is only Profile 1.0.

I have not been able to find out much about the future compatibility of such a player as this with the latest Blu-Ray disks, such as the soon-to-be-available Profile 2.0 disks and others between Profile 1.0 and Profile 2.0.

I know that whatever "special features" are on the greater-than-Profile1.0 disks (such as BD-Live for Profile 2.0) won't be available for a non-Profile 2.0 player, especially since Profile 2.0/BD-Live needs an internet connection, and no pre-2.0 players have one (except PS3). I'm not interested in a PS3.

However, sometimes I read or hear that a profile 1.0 player will not even be able to play *at all* any disk manufactured with a higher Profile.

Does anyone know what's up with this? Will a Profile 1.0 Blu-Ray player be able to at least play the main movie of any disk with a higher Profile?

The overblown price for the BD-HP20U notwithstanding, is buying this player a waste?
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are no updates scheduled for this player...I can tell you it won't play BD-Rs. We bought it to test our BD menu functionality but had to return it. Why not get a Play Station? I know your not interested but for the cost of players, especially good ones, its a no brainer.

Here's a good wiki on current players and updates:

http://dostudio.netblender.com/wikipapers/wiki_BDprofiles.asp
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony just released firmware 2.20 for the PS3 which makes it a Profile 2.0 BD player with BD-Live etc.

$400 for the 40GB HDD PS3 + $25 for the special remote control = $450 for the best BD player around PLUS you get games.

I've been enjoying ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION (Game Of The Year Edition) on my Sony PS3 (80GB HDD model) since I bought it as an Easter gift to myself. Damn it rocks

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    For those that want a "nice looking" entertainment system ... the PS3 is front loading (slot loader) and the controller and the special remote are wireless so it will look rather kewl in a "nice looking" entertainment system.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Sony just released firmware 2.20 for the PS3 which makes it a Profile 2.0 BD player with BD-Live etc.

$400 for the 40GB HDD PS3 + $25 for the special remote control = $450 for the best BD player around PLUS you get games.

I've been enjoying ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION (Game Of The Year Edition) on my Sony PS3 (80GB HDD model) since I bought it as an Easter gift to myself. Damn it rocks

P.S.
    For those that want a "nice looking" entertainment system ... the PS3 is front loading (slot loader) and the controller and the special remote are wireless so it will look rather kewl in a "nice looking" entertainment system.
    Everytime I see you post about your PS3 it makes me wanna buy one for myself! But I'm practical so I'm gonna wait awhile. I have to say it is the best bet right now when it comes to Blu-ray. Sony.com is offering a $100.00 off the PS3 if you sign up for their credit card & buy it from them which is tempting.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My son has a ps3 and it will stay in his room. $400+ dollars for any dvd player is way too much to me. It better be able to also mix drinks and make toast for that price. And i don't play games so the so-called dual benefit(games/movies) is useless to me. As for the Sharp BD-HP20U, it's already outdated so unless you are willing to dream about the features other blu ray players can do i would advise you to wait.
    I fly and YOU SUCK!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What Fulci said...
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies folks.
    I was trying to stay below the $400 mark, hence the interest in the BD-HP20U.

I am not interested in the PS3 for a few reasons -
    It does not have an IR remote, which makes it impossible to integrate with my Logitech universal remote
    It does not do a very good job with audio.
    It costs $400.

I still would like an answer, if possible, to my original question:

Will a Blu-Ray player of Profile 1.0 vintage play at least the main movie from a disk manufactured to a higher profile?

I know that it won't do whatever special features are part of the higher profile, but I am just wondering if this Sharp Blu-Ray player, and others like it, are doomed to complete inoperability with the higher-profile disks, or not.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rhegedus, prevailed upon me to get the PS3 when I had questions about what Bluray player to get.

I understand my reluctance in the beginning. I wanted a Stand alone Blueray and felt having to buy a game player to play Bluerays was an imposition.

Rhegedus set me strait. So now my opinion is the PS3 is the best player and the PS3 is also just about the cheapest player and like Fulci said ....it looks kool and it also plays games... what more could you want?

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  9. I know that it won't do whatever special features are part of the higher profile, but I am just wondering if this Sharp Blu-Ray player, and others like it, are doomed to complete inoperability with the higher-profile disks, or not.

Sorry..I should have answered that in my first post. You will possibly have issues unless Sharp release new updates. Especially on long loading BD-J titles. However, most titles ,now and in the future, most likely, won't have a whole lot of BD-J objects....to much time to code. In other words, don't buy a player which is only profile 1.0 and no updates available ... i.e. : the Sharp
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My suggestion based on your need of a "reasonable" price along with wanting future compatibility aka Profile 2.0 / BD-Live is to simply wait a lil bit longer. I'm sure we will see brand new BD players by the end of the year that are Profile 2.0 / BD-Live capable from the get-go without needing a firmware release (that may or may not be forthcoming on older models). Also if you wait til the end of the year the prices will hopefully be a bit less (knock on wood).

As to your question ... I had a "conference" with the Google God and I found a lot of stuff that seems to indicate that Profile 1.0 & 1.1 BD players will still function with a basic menu and play the main feature even if the BD disc is authored to Profile 2.0 standards. Some references I've found to this info:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Joshua_Zyber/High-Def_FAQ:_Blu-ray_Profiles_Explained/1186

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9808376-1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

As for the Sony PS3 ... word is a "special" version is due out in June 2008 that will include the 80GB HDD version of the console (which is backwards compatible with the PSX/PSOne and PS2 ... the 40GB HDD version is NOT backwards compatible) and will include the new dualshock controller (the current controller has no vibration built-in) and come with MetalGearSolid 4 ... all for a MSRP of $499.99 ... not bad considering my 2007 Christmas purchase of the 80GB version was the same price but included the regular controller and some dumb ass dirt race game LOL

I should also note that I found some mentions that Sony announced two stand alone BD players that will be out in time for Christmas 2008 that will be Profile 2.0 / BD-Live capable out-of-the-box. No word on the price though.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  11. The Panasonic BD30(profile 1.1) is highly rated and the upcoming Panasonic BD50 will be profile 2.0.Beware of the Samsung players,they are riddled with problems.Several profile 2.0 BD players will be coming out this year so I recommend waiting unless you really need one now,I am waiting on the Panasonic BD50.
    BTW:I think the PS3 looks like a George Foreman grill and I don't play games anymore,not to mention I will never buy a Sony product again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ebenton
    I am not interested in the PS3 for a few reasons -
    It does not have an IR remote, which makes it impossible to integrate with my Logitech universal remote
    It does not do a very good job with audio.
    It costs $400.
    Tell me you're not planning a $400 purchase on a remote control...

If you're counting the $ I'm guessing that the audio difference won't be noticable on your system.

It may well cost $400, but you're getting a BD home media system for that.

No one I know has been disappointed by the PS3.

You're money, you're choice.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote