Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Folks.

PAL
    Panasonic 3CCD GS 300

I have noticed something that I want to take advantage of, but not sure how

Background.

I regularly video alpine ski racing, which involves fast motion of an individual skier, generally against largely static background.

Playback is fine for interleaved screens like TV sets, but progressive screens incur skier motion artifacts, because the skier is moving too fast for 1/50, I have tried 1/250 shooting in manual mode, but that does not seem to improve the results on progressive playback.

Anyway, I normally download the DV AVI via Ulead Video studio 11 (16:9) and then edit the Raw footage and write out a DV AVI format file in 4:3

Now i have noticed that if i play this result DV AVI file with windows Media player 11. the footage is sharp and does not have motion artifacts; however, if i play the video with media player classic or any other general player it plays with motion artifacts.

[1] I'm wondering how media player 11 is able to show the footage without these motion artifacts with such clarity and quality ?

[2] I convert these result DV avi files to FLV using ON2 Flixpro, i'm thinking that if i can somehow adjust the FFD reader setting that Flixpro uses to read the source file to filter out the motion artifacts, then the result FLV file will not have the motion artifacts or not have to be de-interlaced (which softens the resulting FLV file)

Looking for any advice.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. WMP applies a deinterlacer. You can get the same result with VLC or any other media player that does its own deinterlacing.

When you are converting the files to FLV, are you keeping the same frame size or are you reducing it to, say, 360 x 288. If so, you needn't worry.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks John.

I cut the videos down to 590 x 472 for website playback.

It makes sense that WMP 11 is using a deinterlacer, however, what puzzles me now is that the video playback is very good quality. When I select the DeInterlace option in ON2 Flix pro, the resulting video is noticibly softer and has lost quality.

Do you think I will achieve a better result deinterlacing through another package that offers a more sophisticated deinterlace option and just using the ON2 package to convert to FLV (instead of Convert to FLV and deinterlace at the same time)
    If so what software would provide the best possible deinterlace of a DV avi ?
    Given the 15 possible methods of deinterlacing, also considering that the video is of fast motion, which algorithm is best. (eg, bob and weave, cubic, etc ...)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Once in a while Microsoft offers the best quality

I'm not familiar with ON2 nor creating FLV files so I can't advise on those. You might need to go through an intermediate format. Can ON2 use WMV for source? If so, Windows Media Encoder (free from MS) could be used to create deinterlaced WMV files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks John.

Will try it .....
    Quote Quote