VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Guys!

Tried turning on my laptop a couple of days and i got the 'BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH'

The error i get is:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. BLAH BLAH BLAH!

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x812b3ca0, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

Anyway i have tried restarting in normal mode, safe mode, last know good config etc, but i still get the same message.

What could have cause this and is it possible to fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Almost anything could have caused this. I've seen hard disk corruption cause this. Also, one of my friends put some additional memory in a new laptop running Vista. He bought the right memory. He put it in the right slot. His result? BSOD constantly. I had to boot a Linux CD and blow away his disk partitions and reinstall Vista completely from his rescue DVD to fix the problem. His laptop then worked fine with exactly the same memory configuration.

You're probably going to have completely reinstall to fix it. You can try booting from some kind of CD and attempt to do a chkdsk on the disk drive as that might help, but my experience has been that if this is being caused by a disk error, a reinstall is the only cure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it a self built machine or OEM system?

What I'm asking actually is do you have access to the recovery console? If its an OEM then 9 time out of 10 you don't. So be prepaired to format.

If you do at the very least run a chkdsk first but in the end I think you're gonna end up reinstalling.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Before you blast everything off your hard disk and do a complete re-install, I would first load up my BartPE disk and see if it will run. Since it uses the same hardware, if there is a hardware issue, your BartPE disk will fail too.

Don't have a BartPE disk? Well, you should. It is a near complete Windows XP installation on a CD. You can boot your machine into Windows without involving your normal Win install.

But failing that, you're going to have to do what jman98 suggested and re-install everything. Just be sure that you have your latest backup handy to make things easier to restore.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    0x00000024 is a hard drive problem related to NTFS. Either the partition is corrupt, or the HDD or controller is causing the issue. I agree with Faustus - a chkdsk should be the first thing you run

For more info, read this : http://www.updatexp.com/stop-messages.html (scroll down for the reference to 0x024 errors) and this : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q228888
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Squid_uk, are you a BT Home Hub subscriber by any chance? I'm not prying, it's just that a friend who is had exactly the same problem at the same time as you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WOW! Thanks for all the quick replies guys!

Faustus the machine was bought from Dell about 3 Years ago, don't think i do have access to the recovery console.

ntscuser no im not a BT Home Hub member!

I will give chkdsk a go and see what happens! If that fails i will go for the re-install as luckly there isn't anything important that i will loose!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's a long shot but you can try this first before formatting. If you cannot access recovery console, you can connect the hard drive to a working PC (SATA or PATA). Then copy the five system files in the "Repair" directory INTO the "system32/config" directory. I do not remember exactly the file names but you can compare what's in the "Repair" and the "system32/config" directories. You can Google it. Kind of replacing the corrupted with the working backup system files. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No matter what options i try i cannot get to run chkdsk!
    Quote Quote  
  10. You need to boot off of the Dell XP install disk. Choose the Recovery Console option and then run CHKDSK /P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    You need to boot off of the Dell XP install disk. Choose the Recovery Console option and then run CHKDSK /P
    Thats assuming it came with a Install disk. Many OEMs just come with the nuke option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or you get a Recovery Partition and have to create your own recovery discs before you get into trouble.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys tried booting from the windows xp disk and got a new error!

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer, If this appears again repeat these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable or check with the manfacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select advanced startup options, and select safe mode

Technical Info:

*** STOP 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF952F0BF, 0xF997B208, 0xF997AF08)

*** pci.sys - address F952F0BF base at F9528000, Datestamp 3b7d855c
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Before you reinstall, try searching for and running ntldrfix. You'll have to create a bootable CD with the file and it's allowed me to rescue several PCs. Just follow the instructions given and try the different boot options.

Also, search for UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) and try that. There's lots of utilities available that may allow you to run Chkdsk / scandsk from DOS (all the UBCD utilities are DOS based).

I'm guessing that your HD boot sector is corrupt and that's why you can't even do a reinstall from the XP disc. As a last ditch effort, you may have to completely reformat the HD before reinstallation. Again, UBCD will allow you to do a clean format that should allow you to do your install.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  15. If there's nothing you fear to lose and you have the Dell re-install disk just blow away the partition, re-format the long way, and re-install.

Error appears to be a major HD error, if the HD is no good everything else is a waste of time, re-partition and re-format will either correct or expose the seriousness of the failure, files are suspect anyway, and it's a pretty automated process.

Repair attempts are only worthwhile is there is something needing recovery. Otherwise, burn it to the ground and start all over. Saves time.
    Quote Quote  
  16. That error could be from not loading a driver during the setup process. I just ran into this with a Dell if I didn't load the Raid/AHCI driver. When It comes up press F6 right at teh start of setup. You need to press F6 and have the floppy with the appropriate drivers on it.
    Quote Quote