VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The latest nightly build seems to work well with AVCHD .MTS files. I'd download the .ZIP or the .7z and test it as opposed to installing over your existing install of VLC. They've snazzed up the interface to VLC a bit!

http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/trunk-20080325-0333/
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Having trouble with AVCHD files (M2TS) playing in videolan. Do I need any codecs or any special add-ons?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Media Player Classic and ffdshow works perfect for me playing AVCHD files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by noemi7
    Perhaps, but Media Player Classic is limited to Windows whereas VLC works on MacOS and Linux. VLC's ability to do this could be quite useful on supported non-Windows platforms.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Soopafresh, are these AVCHD any special format, that they don't play in prev VLC ver's ??

I ask because the ones that I encode via x264 cli play fine in the VLC I have on my win xp setup.

I didn't know that avchd couldn't be played. I know, prob real dumb question, but is this a specific or commercial format-only source or can anyone create it with freeware tools ? I've been just winging it through other peoples scripts plus my mods..since I encode a lot of mp4 vids, I was just wondering

-vhelp 4927
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some AVCHD files have PAFF quasi interlacing, which makes them much more difficult to decode and play than your garden variety h264 MP4. Most newer versions of playback software have support for PAFF these days, but it's a new feature, especially for Libavcodec based apps such as FFdshow and VLC. That's why I pointed to the nightly builds folder of VLC in the link above. FFmpeg still hasn't gotten 100% support yet for PAFF files (although fixes have been anticipated for a while now).
    Quote Quote