VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    A friend of mine gave me some episodes of a TV series he captured in DivX 5.0.2/AC3 at 23.976fps. I wanted to convert them to MPEG to burn a DVD -- so far with no success. I've tried two methods:

1st method is to load the source AVI into TMPGEnc Plus. It didn't recognize the AC3 audio stream, so I create only an m2v file (encode mode is "3:2 pulldown when playback"). Then I demux the AC3 audio using AVIdemux and load both m2v and ac3 files into GfD, which reports me that the video stream is 3 seconds shorter than the audio stream. I don't know why this difference since the original AVI has no audio sync problems, so I just let GfD create the DVD files and burn a DVD-RW to test in my standalone player.
    The result is strange, the movie plays smoothly in the first 15-20 minutes and then I notice some "slow motion" or "fast forward" effects from time to time (I think that the MPEG has audio sync issues and the player is just trying to keep sync the "best" possible way?).

2nd method is to load the AVI into AVIdemux and let it create an MPEG file with the original AC3 audio. Then I load it into GfD and it warns me that the MPEG has "inconsistent timecodes". I hit the only choice available (an OK button) and let GfD create the DVD files and burn another DVD-RW to test in my standalone player again.
    The result is even stranger: the movie now plays "skippy" all the time, as if one or two frames are dropped every second (but there are no dropped frames when playing the movie frame by frame. And since GfD reported that the MPEG framerate was 29.97, I think that AVIdemux has set the pulldown flag correctly).

Can someone please give me some help? TIA.
    -- Greycat.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you just want to put some DivX TV episodes onto a DVD, FAVC (free) works well and uses a simple menu. ConvertxtoDVD (trialware) works well too and v3 has more advanced menus
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx for the reply, poisondeathray

I downloaded and install FAVC (and also netframework 2.0; I already have AVISynth 2.57). Then I follow this guide:

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/FAVC_Video_to_DVD_Guide_page1.html

and set FAVC to create DVD files for test with only 1 episode with quality of encode=fast (just to see if the resulting DVD plays without the problem I mentioned). But after hitting the "Generate DVD" bottom, after 1 minute I got an error "Could not open the input file" (which is, as I said previously, DivX 5.0.2 with AC3 2ch audio). Does FAVC have problems opening DivX files?

Don't know what went wrong...
    -- Greycat.
    Quote Quote  
  4. FAVC should work with DivX. You might have to rename the extension .AVI if it was .DIVX.

Your file might be corrupted. Can you playback properly in a software player like MPC? What does gspot or mediainfo say about your file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, the file isn't corrupted (plays in MPC and other software players not only properly, but also perfectly).
    The extension is .AVI and mediainfo says it's DivX 3 low motion (don't know why I thought it was DivX 5 !)

I changed the encoder in FAVC from HC to QuEnc and then the error "couldn't open..." didn't show up, but strangely enough, FAVC gave me just an empty VIDEO_TS folder in the end of the process. But it did create the m2v and ac3 files, so I just loaded them to GfD and was able to author and burn a DVD-RW and the sync problem disappeared.

Final question is: Why FAVC works strange in my PC? HC encoder doesn't work, and with QuEnc it doesn't create the DVD files, only the temp ones (which I can use anyway, but...)

But aside that i'm now able to encode and burn those DivX files properly...
    -- Greycat.
    Quote Quote